PDA

View Full Version : Mortise Chisel Set Doesn't Fit

Peter M. Spirito
02-25-2007, 12:13 PM
I bought a Shop Fox mortise machine thru Grizzly and the extra Grizzly chisels. Before I used it, Woodworking Magazine ran a tool test on mortise chisel sets. Grizzly chisels rated very low. I returned the still new Grizzly mortise chisels and purchased the recomended Guildcraft set from Rockler. The same part number as tested does not fit. The bit shank is an inch too short. I wrote an e-mail to the Editor of Woodworking Magazine to complain. I think it was reasonable to believe that all of the bits tested would be interchangable. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: The test was done on a Powermatic-701. My Shop Fox came with one chisel. When placed next to the Guildcraft the difference is so extreme that I don't believe that both chisels would have fit in the Powermatic machine. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: I have not heard back from Woodworking Magazine

Pete Brown
02-25-2007, 12:59 PM
That does stink.

However, I do believe the article mentioned that not all chisels/bits fit all machines. I don't know what machine they used to test.

Pete

Peter M. Spirito
02-25-2007, 4:51 PM
They used a Powermatic-701. When I put the Guildcraft auger onto my Shop Fox the auger just touches the tip end of the drill chuck. The Grizzly auger goes in one inch. For the Powermatic to recieve the Guildcraft auger bit 1/2 inch into the chuck, and also take the Grizzly, the Grizzly auger will be sticking out of the bottom of the chisel 1/2 inch. There was no mention of the bits not being interchangable. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I have again written Woodworking Magazine to find out which bits are interchangable. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Mike K Wenzloff
02-25-2007, 4:59 PM
Would be best to contact either Rockler and or Griz to find out which fits your machine.

Ain't the fault of the magazine as they did mention which machine they used what chisels on. I suspect had you bought the PM-701 the chisels you purchased would have fit.

If Rockler is the retailer, contact them and if Guildcraft makes them to fit your ShopFox machine, swap 'em out. If not, return them for your money back.

If Guildcraft doesn't make them to fit, contact Griz and find out which other makes and models will fit your ShopFox.

Take care, Mike

Peter M. Spirito
02-26-2007, 3:16 PM
I received an e-mail from Robert Lang, editor, of Woodworking Magazine, in regards to the mortise chisel issue. The Powermatic-701 comes with an adapter for the chuck that permits it to use the shorter bits too. He also wrote that the bits sold by Lee Valley were of the long style like my Grizzly bits were. :) :) I placed an order with Lee Valley a few minutes ago. ;) ;) ;)

Don Bullock
02-26-2007, 3:36 PM
Great news Peter. It's nice to hear that the magazine editor responded to your question. That's what I call customer service. There aren't very many areas where people can get that kind of service any more. That's one of the reasons I like woodworking.

Peter M. Spirito
02-26-2007, 5:57 PM
The magazine does not have any advertisements. It is a very high quality publication. Check it out. Google: Woodworking Magazine. :cool:

Pete Brown
02-26-2007, 7:20 PM
Also note that you can only get it from the newstand, and only for a brief window of time. No subscriptions, although they do offer back issues on a CD.

It is published and edited by the same people involved in Popular Woodworking, and goes out 2-3 times a year at most.

I particularly enjoyed the most recent issue.

Pete

Don Bullock
02-26-2007, 10:26 PM
Also note that you can only get it from the newstand, and only for a brief window of time. No subscriptions, although they do offer back issues on a CD.

It is published and edited by the same people involved in Popular Woodworking, and goes out 2-3 times a year at most.

I particularly enjoyed the most recent issue.

Pete

Thanks. I just ordered the CD.:D