PDA

View Full Version : Router noise - any suggestions?

Brian Kent
02-25-2007, 10:53 AM
I am interested in a better router or shaper that I'll use for the next 30 years. I love what a router can do, but I despise the noise.

What have you found (in addition to ear protection) to quiet a table router?

Is there one kind of stand that is quieter than another?

Are 3-1/4 variable speed routers louder, quieter, or lower pitched than entry models?

Are shapers with induction motors and closed stand quieter than routers with their universal motors?

Is one router quieter than another? What about noise isolation?

Every time I take the advice of creekers, I come out ahead, so I thank you for your help.

Bob Malone
02-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Brian I have 2 routers I use in 2 different cabinet setups.

The first unit is a PC 7518 installed in a sturdy plywood cabinet under a Jessem top, fence and Master-R-Lift setup. With the fence and back of cabinet dust collection hoses hooked up, this entire unit is very quiet - you can hear only a slight whine. I should comment that the type of bit and amount of stock being removed can dramtically affect the noise level i.e. making raised panel doors.

My second unit is a Freud FT2000E (3-1/4) inside a smaller enclosed cabinet with only rudimentqary dust collection, which seems quite a bit louder. For a real test I switched the Freud into the larger and better built router table and yes the Freud seemed quiet too.

This unscientific test confirmed to me that most good quality routers are similar in noise levels (at least the 2 that I have are), but a tightly built, well enclosed router table with good dust collection significantly reduces the noise level almost to the point where ear protection for short jobs is not necessary. I always use my ear preotection simply because the dust collection system really howls!

If I had to give a "quietest" router award between my two routers - the PC 7518 would win over the Freud. For the best in table router award - no doubt the PC 7518 wins hands down for power and smoothness. The PC seems to have a turbine smoothness to it that I have come to expect and appreciate, this instills some confidence just before the bit hits the wood.

I summary, a well built router table helps any router seem dramatically quieter; however, any quality 3-1/4 router makes the table significantly more useful and easier to use.

Good luck searching for the "quietest" table router.

Mark Singer
02-25-2007, 11:23 AM
I think the Bosch and Festool are the quietest

Rick Christopherson
02-25-2007, 11:32 AM
A shaper will be your quietest option. About the only noise you will hear will be the windage of the cutter itself, and this will vary by cutter. Without a cutter installed, you won't really even hear the shaper running above the typical background noise in the shop.

A 1-1/2 hp shaper will give you more power than the largest 3-1/4 hp router, so you don't need to go too large unless you want to. Most of the cutters I use in the shaper are my router bits. The cutters that I put the most mileage on are the stile/rail/panel raiser sets, and these are shaper cutters. I do also have a few non-standard shapes of these which are router bits.

Hans Loeblich
02-25-2007, 12:03 PM
I chose the Makita RF1101 for my first router. The reviews I had read said it was one of the quietest routers. It seems fairly quiet to me, but I don't have any thing to compare it with, so I can't really say. I don't have it mounted in a table, and it is 2 1/4 HP so maybe you are looking for something more powerful. But I think in general Makita makes very quiet motors.

Edit: Duh, I just reread and saw you are looking for 3 1/4HP routers. :o

Jim Becker
02-25-2007, 1:57 PM
Routers use "universal motors" and as such, they are natural screamers. There isn't a whole lot you can do to quiet them down, although running them at slower speed when appropriate helps. Hearing protection is manditory when using routers, IMHO. Even cabinet mounted routers don't quiet down much in my experience. That said, many of the newer designs are much quieter (relatively speaking...) than the older models.

Rod Sheridan
02-26-2007, 9:38 AM
A shaper is dramatically quieter than a router, and will last 30 years.

If lack of noise, quality of cut, lifetime service, good chip collection and the possibility of using a stock feeder at some point are important to you, purchase a shaper.

Purchase one with a 3 HP motor, 3/4" and possibly 1 1/4" spindles, and a large table.

Reagrds, Rod.

Brian Kent
02-26-2007, 10:23 AM
See, I knew you guys were smart. I had not gone the shaper direction because of costs, but now that I've looked at the cost of router, table, fence, plate, lifter… it could be in the same range.

Arch Stanton
03-01-2007, 10:36 AM
Brian,

I was faced with a similar situation. I hate the noise the router makes. I also live in apartment and don't want to disturb the neighbours. In another forum I posed the same question and was told that most of the noise will come from the router bit cutting through the timber and there is not much I can do.

I am half way through building my table and this is what I have done.

I have enclosed the router in a cabinet made from MDF. I read somewhere that MDF is good for speaker boxes because it deadens the sound.

I painted the inside of the cabinet with bitumen paint because it says on the side of the can that it reduces noise and because I have seen sound deadening products that incorporate a layer of bitumen and because I had a can lying around.

The router still produces noise but a lot less than it did before my modifications. These were well worth doing. My only concern would be how hot it would be in the cabinet, however I don't and don't anticipate using the router for extended periods of time so I think I should be OK.

Brian