PDA

View Full Version : motor upgrade

Thomas Prondzinski
12-08-2003, 11:53 PM
I have a Jet JPM-13 planer moulder with a 1 1/2 hp motor,it seems to be very underpowered when planing.Could I install a 3hp motor? or will it tear machine apart?Or should I sell it and get a Jet 15" 3hp or the new powermatic 15" with spiral cutterhead?

Thanks for your input

Tom

John Weber
12-09-2003, 12:46 AM
Tom,

Unless you use the molding feature, I think I would lean toward upgrading. You can likely swap motors, but you'll have a couple hundred in the motor, and you may need new controls (mag switch, 220 vs 110, etc... which is more money). It seems there are some older Powermatic 15s floating around for rigth at $1000. The new version with the cast extensions and spiral cutter looks nice as well. Shoot if you are upgrading my might want to look at a 20" imports. However if you want a really nice machine the Canadian built General 14" is sweet. Back to reality, I think you'll be money spent about the same, unless you have a 3hp motor and controls just sitting around.

John

John Davidson
12-09-2003, 8:52 AM
I have a Jet JPM-13 planer moulder with a 1 1/2 hp motor,it seems to be very underpowered when planing.Could I install a 3hp motor? or will it tear machine apart?Or should I sell it and get a Jet 15" 3hp or the new powermatic 15" with spiral cutterhead?

Thanks for your input

Tom
Tom,

I have this same planer and while it is not as powerful as the Jet 3hp model I have never stalled the motor. Is there maybe something else going on? Does the motor come to a stop? I have noticed when the blades get dull that the motor slows down some but not enough to damage it.

John

Thomas Prondzinski
12-09-2003, 9:27 PM
Tom,

I have this same planer and while it is not as powerful as the Jet 3hp model I have never stalled the motor. Is there maybe something else going on? Does the motor come to a stop? I have noticed when the blades get dull that the motor slows down some but not enough to damage it.

John
John I have stalled the motor when planing a 1/16 pass on knotty pine.How many bf can you plane? I seemed to only get about 250bf or so.Am I expecting too much?I have the older blue model with limited use.Just always seem to be underpowered.

Tom

Shawn Smith
12-09-2003, 9:42 PM
Some things, first, pull your circuit breaker and check for corrosion on the pole. If there is, get someone to bold a flashlight while you shut off the MAIN. Then use fine sandpaper folded over a screwdriver and lightly sand both sides of the pole, then reinstall breaker. Second, you may try wiring the motor for 220v if compatable. Your planer should not bog down and stall. Something (not withstanding a bad motor) else is wrong. Take care and be safe. Shawn

John Davidson
12-10-2003, 8:13 AM
John I have stalled the motor when planing a 1/16 pass on knotty pine.How many bf can you plane? I seemed to only get about 250bf or so.Am I expecting too much?I have the older blue model with limited use.Just always seem to be underpowered.

Tom
Tom,

I don't have any problem taking a 1/16 on pine. However, I and some Brazillian cherry that is very hard. I take lite passes and make sure that the blades are sharp when I work with this stuff. Every thing that I have ran in between has worked well, maple, oak, walnut, etc.. I don't really know how many BF I have planed. I did replace the blades a few months ago before starting my last project so I could send the old one out for sharpening and have use of the machine. The new blades seem to keep a edge better than the ones that came with it.

As already suggested there could be a problem with voltage drop to the motor. Or, if the motor has 2 caps on it the run cap could be bad. I have never looked to see if this motor does have a run cap. I am sure that there could be other things as well causing you problem.

As far as upgrading the motor, some of the older units had problems with the gears breaking on these units. The problem was resolved by jet but I would be shy about putting a bigger motor one knowing this history.