PDA

View Full Version : Visit to Hollister's Sawmill in PA

Jack Ganssle
02-25-2007, 9:42 AM
LOML and I stopped in at Hollister's Sawmill Saturday (http://www.hollistersawmill.com/) just for fun, and to get a few boards. It's a small mill located on the banks of the (frozen solid) Susquehanna river in Columbia, PA, maybe 15 miles east of York.

Seems to be a one man operation. Bob Hollister is a garrulous and delightful guy who really knows his wood. He was alone Saturday due to the cold, but from the stories it sounds like plenty of folks wander in. He caters more to hobbyists than professionals as this is a retirement business and he doesn't want to be responsible for supplying material to a business.

Most of the wood is from the local area, so he doesn't stock exotics, but there's plenty of oak, ash, walnut, poplar, sassafrass, some maple, etc. He has a scary-looking 54" diesel-powered saw, and a kiln that can handle 3000 board feet.

Each board is marked with its size and price.

We got some (as he put it) "lousy" poplar for $0.50/bf. It has knots but is plenty good for jigs and practice. Also some ash, maple and walnut for $2/bf. Prices vary depending on quality. He does have some very wide boards.

We plan to return when the weather warms.

The camera battery gave out after 3 pics, so that's all I have.
Jack

Jim Becker
02-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Always fun to visit the mill!!

And that "lousy" poplar with the knots is excellent for certain projects, such as "country" style cabinets, armoirs, etc., where you want the look of pine but a little more strength. I used the knotty material from my private stash for the armoir I built a couple years ago for that reason. I use a lot of clear poplar for other projects including the faux cherry/maple look using dye for coloration.

Roy McQuay
02-25-2007, 10:35 AM
Hi Jack, thanks for the link. I never heard of it so I bookmarked it. I usually go to Tom's Sawmill on 152 in Fallston, but it looks like I may be taking a ride to PA this spring. I get good deals at Tom's but not that good and he has no figured woods.

Mike Parzych
02-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Places like this are a real "find." Walnut is $1-$4 bf? Can't beat that.

Now I need to find a place like that in Minnesota/Wisconsin.

Wes Bischel
02-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Jack,
Hey! You're giving away our secret stash!!:D :D Seriously though, Bob usually has a very nice selection of local domestics. For anyone thinking of heading over to Bob's, he is usually there every Saturday, but it is best to call during the week just to make sure. Bob is a really neat guy and friendly as can be. Thanks for posting Jack, I guess I should have as well.:o

Wes

dale rex
02-25-2007, 10:42 PM
If you want a top notch sawmill in PA, visit Bailey's in Kempton, PA. They have everything in good quantity and good prices.All kiln dried too.:)