PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla Gripper

Cary Swoveland
02-25-2007, 1:04 AM
McFeelie's sells an interesting device for manhandling sheet goods, called the Gorilla Gripper ($50). There's a video of it in use at:

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product.asp?pid=ggr-0001&id=2148021

Cary

Mike Heidrick
02-25-2007, 2:21 AM
It looks very awesome.

jim gossage
02-25-2007, 6:49 AM
i just went on line and ordered one through an ebay seller for $7 less than the mcfeeley's link. beware, though, there is an older version which had some design flaws according to an amazon review. the handle bars were straight on the older version and are curved on the new one.

Jeff Wright
02-25-2007, 8:14 AM
I just ordered one from the maker's website:

http://www.gorillagripper.com/

Also, see my previous post regarding the gripper:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=530140#post530140

Joe Jensen
02-25-2007, 8:35 AM
I have one of the early models. They won a reality TV show contest for best new inventions. I think the show was called American Innovator. Works great....joe

Mike Goetzke
02-25-2007, 9:52 AM
You should search "the other ww'ing forum." There was a post in the past 6-months about this device - including a link to a video. There were some good and bad reviews - I think it just need getting used to.

J D Thomas
02-25-2007, 10:00 AM
I ordered one from the maker's site 4-5 weeks ago. It's amazing. First thing I tried to move was a full sheet of 3/4" MDF. No problems. My back continually thanks the inventor.

Ben Abate
02-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Jim,

Do you have a link to the Ebay seller that we could check out his prices

Ben

Kent Fitzgerald
02-25-2007, 10:09 AM
I also have one on order from ebay. Should be here tomorrow.

I'm usually skeptical about gee-whiz infomerical presentations, but this really looks great.

Kent Fitzgerald
02-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Direct links to ebay aren't permitted on SMC, but it's item 230096118603.

frank shic
02-25-2007, 10:19 AM
that video has almost sold me. for those of you who bought one, does it work on melamine?

Mark Singer
02-25-2007, 10:52 AM
I have a coupe of Gorillas running around....this looks like just the thing:rolleyes:

skip coyne
02-25-2007, 11:03 AM
I'd buy one for just for the commercial :D

http://www.gorillagripper.com/videos/index.html

frank shic
02-25-2007, 12:43 PM
the description on ebay does indeed state that it works with melamine so i purchased it for $45 with ~$7 shipping. just get on ebay and punch in gorilla gripper and hit the "buy it now" option - there are eight more remaining to sell!

Cary Swoveland
02-25-2007, 1:10 PM
I checked around for prices and found they were all within a couple of dollars of the price, after shipping, at the mfg's site, www.gorillagripper.com (http://www.gorillagripper.com) . Whenever that's the case, I order direct, to give the guy a bit more profit.

Cary

frank shic
02-25-2007, 5:26 PM
just watched the other video on the website and almost spewed my food all over the monitor!

:p

David G Baker
02-25-2007, 5:38 PM
I just purchased one of the Gorillas off of Ebay. The seller on Ebay is the Gorilla guy.
I have used the Home Depot plastic carriers that go under the sheet for years. It is okay but the Gorilla looks like it will be less painful after moving a bunch of heavy stock. Think it is a little expensive but so are Chiropractic visits. If they were cheaper I would have bought two.
David B

jim gossage
02-25-2007, 6:22 PM
just search for "gorilla gripper" on ebay - there are only a couple of hits. it was selling for $5 cheaper than the manufacturer's website.

Mike Watts
02-26-2007, 9:37 AM
I have one of the new ones and like it except that I am only 5' 8" and can get only a little clearance when I pick up a sheet of plywood so I have to make sure I have it balanced right so I can control the tilt or it will drag the ground. I think this thing was designed for a 5-10 or 6 foot person. Other than that I really like it.

David G Baker
02-27-2007, 12:05 AM
just search for "gorilla gripper" on ebay - there are only a couple of hits. it was selling for $5 cheaper than the manufacturer's website.
Jim,
I think the photo of the cheaper one was the older model with the straight handles.
David B

Ted Miller
02-27-2007, 12:17 AM
I tried these at the Ontario wood show this past weekend and they worked great, 3/4" MDF, piece of pie to move...

jim gossage
02-27-2007, 6:08 AM
Jim,
I think the photo of the cheaper one was the older model with the straight handles.
David B

david,
i just double-checked the picture on ebay and the one for $45 "buy it now" is the newer model. there is a straight handled one up for bid, though.

frank shic
02-28-2007, 9:27 PM
just got the gorilla gripper today and practiced using it on sheet of mdf i had lying around. this tool is just AMAZING! although it does not do anything to lighten the load, the gripper makes it much easier to lift from ABOVE the sheet - no more mashed fingers or toes. thanks to cary swoveland for starting this thread!

David G Baker
02-28-2007, 11:52 PM
Jim,
I did the buy it now Gorilla. Guess I forgot which was which. I knew that one was the older model and I almost bid on it before looking at the photo.
Haven't received mine yet.
David B

Bart Leetch
03-01-2007, 12:31 AM
I have one of the new ones and like it except that I am only 5' 8" and can get only a little clearance when I pick up a sheet of plywood so I have to make sure I have it balanced right so I can control the tilt or it will drag the ground. I think this thing was designed for a 5-10 or 6 foot person. Other than that I really like it.

No just a gorilla with longer arms. :eek: :D

David Wambolt
03-01-2007, 1:11 AM
I got mine today. I tried it on a piece of 15/32 OSB I had. Worked very well. It does not make the sheet any lighter, but you're not using your grip strength to lift it. For sheet goods, it's a great buy. Get a second if you've got a buddy to help haul them around because then it would be really sweet.

Then I took it over to my garage/shop I'm working on and tried to grab a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" moisture resistant drywall from horizontal to vertical. It promptly cracked part of the sheet where the gripper was. I had my doubts before even putting the gripper on. So I immediately set it aside and just lifted those by hand cause I don't have any spare sheets. I may try it again if I have any scrap left.

jim gossage
03-01-2007, 7:05 AM
Then I took it over to my garage/shop I'm working on and tried to grab a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" moisture resistant drywall from horizontal to vertical. It promptly cracked part of the sheet where the gripper was. I had my doubts before even putting the gripper on. So I immediately set it aside and just lifted those by hand cause I don't have any spare sheets. I may try it again if I have any scrap left.

i'm not surprised about the drywall. i wonder if placing a 12"x12" square of 3/16" masonite/hardboard between the GG and the side of the drywall away from you would distribute the load better?

Paul Johnstone
03-01-2007, 9:19 AM
I got mine today. I tried it on a piece of 15/32 OSB I had. Worked very well. It does not make the sheet any lighter, but you're not using your grip strength to lift it. For sheet goods, it's a great buy. Get a second if you've got a buddy to help haul them around because then it would be really sweet.

Use the plastic carriers at Home Depot for drywall. (The ones that go under the sheet). They work well.
I'm a short dude, and they work great for me on all sheet goods, but I can see how they would cause taller people problems.

Rick Potter
03-01-2007, 11:22 AM
I got mine for $40 at a WW show about 6 months ago. Works good, great for pulling sheets of ply out of my storage rack too. Just be sure to squeeze it with one hand while you pull the handle to tighten before picking panels up. It grips better that way.

Rick Potter

Bruce Benjamin
03-01-2007, 12:15 PM
That looks pretty cool but...$50 seems a little steep to me. Or at least I'd guess there's a pretty high profit margin involved. But I guess this is one of those things where you're paying for the idea, not the materials or the manufacturing cost. From that perspective I'd say it's worth it if you need to move plywood around in the manner that the guy in the video is doing.

I currently use one of those plastic panel carriers from HD and it's far better than nothing at all. It also cost around $5. One thing I use mine for a lot is lifting sheet goods onto a cut table from my storage rack. The Gorilla Gripper looks like it might be difficult to use for that. With mine I just lift it up so my hand is about waist level while laying the sheet over onto the table. I let it tilt over away from me as it slides up the edge of the table and when I can't reach the top of the panel anymore I let it drop. It's not the same as it just laying on edge and then slamming down because it's sliding up the edge of the table and about a foot or so of the 4' wide panel is still below the table. It doesn't require me to bend my lifting arm at all. With the GG it looks like I'd have to lift sheet up with my lifting arm above my head to do the same thing. And then lowering it onto the table might be a little awkward too. My current method isn't perfect but it does seem like it's easier. In the videos I didn't see any examples of him lifting the sheets up to about waist level and laying it down. This is exactly what anyone with a table saw or cut table would have to do. Anyone try this?

Bruce

Cary Swoveland
03-01-2007, 12:43 PM
...In the videos I didn't see any examples of him lifting the sheets up to about waist level and laying it down. This is exactly what anyone with a table saw or cut table would have to do. Anyone try this?

Bruce

I haven't received my GG yet, so can't speak from experience, but it seems to me that you that you could do this as follow:

1. Face away from the saw (or other surface), with the sheet behind you (i.e., between you and the saw).

2. Holding the sheet with the GG, with your hand over your shoulder, knuckles up, bend down, resting the sheet on your back.

3. Back up and lay the sheet on the saw table.

Alternatively, you could use do this with a pair of GG's.

Cary

Bruce Benjamin
03-01-2007, 1:04 PM
Cary, I suppose that could work. It seems a little more difficult than how I currently do it, or at least it seems like you might have less control of a heavy sheet of whatever. MDF weighs in at about 96lbs. I guess my point was that the GG looks brilliant for all of the tasks that the videos showed but I'm not certain that it's the best tool for everything. Since I haven't tried it I'm just going by how it seems to me.

About all of the sheet goods I buy I haul home in the back of my Suburban. I back up to my garage shop, slide the sheet part way out, slip the yellow plastic holder under one edge and lift it out of the back. From there it either goes to my vertical storage cart or directly to my cut table. When doing this both the lifting from the back of the Suburban and laying it down on the table is done from about waist height. That means that with the GG I would have to handle the sheet with my arm at least partially above my head. I can see where having both the cheap one I have and the $50 GG would be helpful. But in my shop the cheapy would probably see a lot more use. I hope to hear from current owners who handle sheet goods the same way I do to see how it works out.

Bruce

frank shic
03-02-2007, 6:13 PM
just in case anyone is wondering how the customer service is, i emailed them several days ago about whether or not the gorilla gripper would work on melamine. here is the response i got:

Frank,

Thanks for your email and question.

The Gorilla Gripper is ideal for use with Melamine and has not problem securely gripping and holding Melamine. In fact the heavier the material the more forceful the grip. Landon Worthington, the inventor and the young man you saw in the demo video, is a finished carpenter and cabinet-maker. He loathes the weight of Melamine, but he works with it all the time. It was a good part of his incentive for creating this product!

I hope this information is helpful. One other bit of useful information is that you're not at risk purchasing a Gorilla Gripper since we accord a full 60-day right of return for full refund of your purchase price (including the UPS freight charge on the original shipment). Your only responsibility would be to pay the low case delivery charge (UPS or even U.S.Mail) back to us should you choose to return it. I can also honestly say that Gorilla Gripper returns are rare.

Following for your additional information is our standard email reply to incoming email inquiries. Of course we welcome your order...and think you'll be forever pleased to own a Gorilla Gripper.

Cordially,

Jim

Mike Heidrick
07-11-2007, 9:18 AM
Hello everyone! I just wanted to clear up a few misconceptions that I've read in these posts.

1) I'm not the Gorilla Gripper guy you see in the ads. I wish. :)

2) I'm selling the latest model of the Gorilla Gripper, I've never sold the original one.

3) I am an Authorized Reseller for Landon Innovations, LLC and all Gorilla Gripper sales from eBay are shipped directly from the manufacturer. For now, I've been selling them at a slightly lower price on eBay as a test marketing program. I've already had to increase the price from $45.00 to $47.50 and eventually will go up to $49.95. But, again, these are the same Gorilla Grippers that you order from the Gorilla Gripper website. The only difference is that I'm marketing them in an auction format at a slightly lower price.

I have two auctions currently running on eBay and I'm always happy to quote wholesale orders. If you're interested in 5 Gorilla Grippers or more, please email gorillagripper@comcast.net with an exactly quantity and shipping address.

Thank you!
I have a few questions for you.

1. If this ships directly from the Manuf. why is your shipping $5.50 more on the ebay auction?
2. Where are you computing shipping charges from, what zipcode?
3. Are you inflating the shipping prices even though you are not shipping the product?

Tyler Howell
07-11-2007, 9:20 AM
I want her............ Um .....It!!!:rolleyes:

Mike Goetzke
07-11-2007, 9:32 AM
Plus why wake-up a 4-month old post.....for new sales:D .

David G Baker
07-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Jim,
I have experienced a few Gorilla issues while carrying 7/16" 4X8' sheets of OSB. OSB has a smooth side and a rough side, once in a while while carrying a sheet the grip on the sheet is lost and the sheet is dropped. This is not a big problem at ground level but if dropped from any height it can be a serious problem. Another problem that I have found is that if the sheet being carried is tilted and touches the ground or floor with any force, the grip is lost and the sheet falls. This may be a learning curve issue for me but it does concern me. Over all I will give the Gorilla an eight rating out of ten. It is still better than anything else out there on the market for a single person carrying sheet goods.

David G Baker
07-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Jim,
I was hoping that you would pass it along to the manufacturer. A possible solution to the grip issue could be a different type of rubber pad material that had more tack. A silicone type material may work but may not have the ability to stand up to the abuse of frequent usage.
I will be watching this thread for any updates.
Thanks

Dan Clark
07-11-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm 5' 6" and it's really made for someone 5' 10" or taller if trying to carry a sheet on flat ground. I can use it OK, but it's sits too high for comfort.

Going up or down stairs, it is NOT usable unless you are very tall - probably 6' 3" or taller. It's really a two man job

It's very useful for pulling sheets out of a pile (I've done that) or pulling them up a ladder (I have not done that).

The two best tools I've found are:

Stanley Panel Carry: http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-93-301-14-Inch-Yellow-Panel/dp/B00004UDN8

Telpro Troll Panel Handler:
http://www.amazon.com/Telpro-300-Pound-Capacity-Handler-TROLL/dp/B0000224PA/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_b/102-3100384-4329755

The Stanley Panel Carry is OK, but you still have to lift the panel. It's very useful for stairs and very rough ground.

The Telpro Troll is EXCELLENT for moving panels (plywood, mdf, drywall) around on almost any moderately flat floor or carpet. You just lift up one end of the panel, slide the Troll to the middle and push the panel around.

The wheels roll easily over small bumps and debris. You can use the handle to move the panel sideways; the is great for going around tight corners.

Last night my wife (who isn't that strong) had to carry a 3/4" ply 4X8 up three flights of steps in the house (bathroom remodel). I pulled the panel out of the vertical standing pile with the Gorilla Gripper. Then I tried to carry it up the stairs with the GG. WRONG! So I tossed it aside.

We used one Stanley Panel Lifter for my wife and an old wooden panel lifter (self made) for me. Between the two of us we got it up the flights of stairs. At the top, I transferred it to the Troll. A that point, it was a breeze. It only took about 45 seconds to walk the panel down the hall and into the bathroom.

Summary Scores:

Gorilla Gripper - 6/10 (OK, but mostly for taller people)

Stanley Panel Lifter - 8.5/10 (Very good, but still requires lifting)

Telpro Troll - 15/10 (Excellent!!! Extremely good tool)

Regards,

Dan.

David G Baker
07-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Dan,
I am 5'11" tall and I do like the GG but I have to remember its limitations and mine.
I have used the plastic Stanley type carrier for sheet goods for years and in most situations it works good. The combination of the GG and Stanley carrier may be what will work best for me.

John Lucas
07-11-2007, 12:52 PM
We have been using the Gorilla Gripper for a couple of months now and mostly for moving white melamine particle coare boards (85 lbs).

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/nprod-404.jpg

And yes. Elena does all the heavy lifting.

Here is the story: http://www.woodshopdemos.com/nprod-25.htm

Bart Leetch
07-11-2007, 3:27 PM
With a problem back I would never want something where I have to lift a sheet of plywood if I can stay away from it.

Here is what I have. Not expensive & easy to make.

Mike Heidrick
07-11-2007, 4:27 PM
Will do. Thanks for the follow up. I would like one of these grippers. Pretty awesome tool.

Mike Heidrick
07-11-2007, 4:40 PM
Looks like the actual difference is $3.24. I have sent an email.

Not too much difference really but why not buy from the inventors company?

Allen Bookout
07-11-2007, 4:56 PM
With a problem back I would never want something where I have to lift a sheet of plywood if I can stay away from it.

Here is what I have. Not expensive & easy to make.

Gread idea Bart!!!!! Looks very durable and capable.

Don Morris
07-11-2007, 6:54 PM
My neighbor had to move some 3/8" plywood sheets around the other day. I let him borrow my gorilla gripper. He's in his 70's. I offered to do it for him but he was so pleased that he could do it himself so easily he waved me off. Good tool to have around.

Rick Levine
07-11-2007, 8:59 PM
I bought one a few weeks ago and it works best on heavier thicker sheets. I tried carrying a thinner sheet of fiberboard and it wouldn't hold it. One of the best uses is for removing stacked sheets onto one of the carts at HD or Lowes.

David G Baker
07-12-2007, 7:47 PM
Jim,
I have not moved any sheets thicker than the 7/16" OSB sheets with the GG and now see from the manufacturer's information that the thickness of the sheet could very well have been the major source of my problem. Thank you for posting the information. Hope this helps the other folks that have questions about the GG.

Mike Heidrick
02-11-2008, 12:18 PM
I had forgot about this device until this past weekend at the st. Louis WW show. I picked one up there. Pretty awesome invention. Works Great!!

Gary Herrmann
02-11-2008, 12:44 PM
And the video is hilarious. Haven't picked one up yet, but I'm thinking about it.

Chris Padilla
02-11-2008, 2:21 PM
I have the little Troll dolley posted earlier. It works okay but I may extend its reach as you've really got to center it or things can get away from you quickly and BANG, there goes a corner! :)

Dave Lehnert
02-11-2008, 3:07 PM
Lee Valley has it for $45.00 plus $9.95 shipping.

Scott Vigder
02-11-2008, 4:35 PM
I am curious for those of you who own a Gripper if it mars the finish in any way.

Can I use it on my nice $85 cherry plywood sheets?

Rick Levine
02-11-2008, 5:40 PM
I've had one for several months and found it to work fine on thicker, heavier material but be careful when carrying thinner sheets. They have a tendency to slip out of the grip. I suppose you could put some rubber between the grips and the wood to help on thinner sheets. And yes, I do have one of the newer designs.

glenn bradley
02-11-2008, 6:03 PM
McFeelie's sells an interesting device for manhandling sheet goods, called the Gorilla Gripper ($50). There's a video of it in use at:

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product.asp?pid=ggr-0001&id=2148021

Cary

The 'Get a Grip' commercial is funny too:

http://www.gorillagripper.com/videos/index.html

Rich Schneider
02-11-2008, 6:06 PM
I have one....it works great overall and does make it easier to move sheets around...but still 3/4" mdf and/or chip board is heavy....in addition to the Gorilla I bought two other devices that have proven to be great for wheeling sheets around the shop..one is a drywall sheet mover called a Panel Troll, and the other is a drywall carrier that folds down to fit in your back pocket and allows you to lift the panel or sheet from the bottom, unlike the Gorilla where you have to carry it from the top...you can get these at a drywall supply shop or can see/buy them online at AllWall among others...

Bruce Pennell
02-11-2008, 9:47 PM
Must put in my 2 cents...I love my GG, it allows a handicap old man to move full sheets of 3/4 MDF around the shop. I have not noticed any marking or damage from the GG. The inside of the GG is like non-slip tape that they use on stairs. Have moved a lot of 3/4 inch 4X8 sheets of plywood...worth every penny I spent. Purchased from McFeely's. Reason I purchased it was the 3/4 inch MDF just couldn't get my grip right to lift it...if I drug it it ruined the edge. You just have to love a tool that just works. Great for moving panels from my rack or positioning on my table.:D