PDA

View Full Version : Where to get planer and jointer blades sharpened???

Glen Blanchard
02-24-2007, 11:49 PM
I know Forrest is the cream of the crop at sharpening table saw blades, but I don't think they sharpen planer and jointer blades, do they? Where is a real good place to send my planer and jointer blades to?

Don Selke
02-25-2007, 12:33 AM
Hi Glen:

I sent some router bits and a set of shaper cutters to Ridge Carbide tool company for sharpening. They are to arrive here in a few days. They seem very nice to deal with so far. There web site is www.ridgecarbidetool.com (http://www.ridgecarbidetool.com) They tell me that they can sharpen anything. You may want to check them out for your blades. They are in New Jersey.

Joe Chritz
02-25-2007, 12:53 AM
I have any of my sharpening done at a local guy. Most hardware places will have a service they send stuff too. Some are really good, some are really bad and most are in the middle.

I just picked up a foley/belsaw so I will be doing my own as soon as I move up the learning curve.

FWIW planer and jonter blades are a really easy sharpening job unless they are beat up badly.

Joe

Alan Greene
02-25-2007, 5:13 AM
I have heard a lot of good things about, and been recommended to: http://www.cookessharpening.com/index.html. I have not had a chance to try them yet, but as I said they come highly recommended. You can also check with your local lumber supplier. They will often have local contacts.

Bruce Wrenn
02-25-2007, 9:43 PM
Check with Scott Whiting in Arizona as he is closer and shipping will be cheaper and faster. Do a search here and at other sites for him. All who have used him speak highly of his work.

Bryan Berguson
02-27-2007, 11:13 AM
I recently used http://claremoretool.com/planer_knives___bits.html and I thought they did a great job. I sent them a set of 20inch planer knives and 3 10 inch blades. I'll use them again.

Forrest does sharpen planer knives but they wanted .70 per inch. That was approaching the cost of a new set of knives so I went with Claremoretool at .40 per inch. I do use Forrest sharpening for my Forrest blades though. I'm funny that way...

Bryan

Mike Thomas
02-27-2007, 11:32 AM
I just took my 24" planer knives into the local guy here in Northern CA, where things are quite expensive, and he sharpened them for $48, that's $0.50 an inch. I also checked with Schmidt and a new set is $250 plus shipping. I have all my saw blades and knives done locally and have been very happy with the results.

Dan Oliphant
02-27-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm sure there is a local saw sharpening company in your area, most are set up to sharpen just about anything. The local service in my area can and will sharpen and balance router bits or anything else I bring him. But with that said, don't just walk in and tell the guy to sharpen your tools and walk out, talk with him about his methods, what angles to expect when completed, and any other topic that you are concerned about.

Keith Outten
02-27-2007, 12:39 PM
For planner and joiner knives your best bet is to purchase a Makita slow speed sharpener. You can then sharpen your knives yourself, save all the postage and I guarentee your knives will be sharper and last longer. Owning your own sharpener generally allows you to sharpen your knives as soon as they start to get a bit on the dull side instead of trying to get every inch of lumber you can machined before you have to remove and ship them off to be sharpened.

I have had my Makita sharpener for at least 12 years and it has paid for itself many times.

CPeter James
02-27-2007, 1:18 PM
I'll second what Keith has just said. In addition go to Highland Hardware and get the green stone and download the instructions that are on their web site. I have Jet 15" planer and a DJ20 jointer and on the planer, I can take the knives out, sharpen them and put them back in under 45 minutes and they are sharp.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1462

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/library/9820-2.pdf

CPeter

Richard Niemiec
02-27-2007, 1:28 PM
What CPeter and Keith said. I did and never looked back. Short learning curve with a machine designed just for that purpose.

RN

Mike Thomas
02-27-2007, 3:25 PM
I checked out the Makita, the maximum length that it will sharpen appears to be 15". I have a need to sharpen 24" planer knives in addition to my shorter ones. What machine would you recommend for this application? What is the learning curve like?

Ed Jolin
02-28-2007, 12:08 AM
mike -
what local shop do you take them to? - i live right down the road from you in edh.

glenn - yes - forrest sharpens planer blades. I had them do a set for me - I was sending in a wwII anyway so figured to try them. Sorry I'm not more help - I can't remember what I paid, and I haven't had enough time out in the shop in 6 mos to actually put them in and try them.
thanks-
ed

Mike Thomas
02-28-2007, 1:41 PM
"Third Generation Saw Shop" in Placerville. They are at the end of Broadway at the far east end of town. He's a good guy and has done a varity of circular saw blades and planer knives etc. for me. What specifically were you looking to have sharpened? Have you considered buying the equipment and doing your own sharpening as suggested above?