PDA

View Full Version : New Saw Gloat

Kristina Tompkins
02-24-2007, 10:08 PM
:p :) Hey Guys and Gals,

My Dewalt 788 srcoll saw is here and my hubby told me that it would get here at the end on March. I'm soooo happy!!!! :) :)

Mike Cutler
02-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Nice lookin' machine, the table is huge!
What are your likes and dislike so far? Is the tilt of the table ergonomically comfortable?

Nice gloat.;)

Jon Shively
02-24-2007, 10:27 PM
10 above zero with driving sleet supposed to change to snow sometime tonight and snow all day tomorrow with 40 mph winds and I pull up a picture of a shop with the door open, more sunshine than I have seen in the past week and the people in shorts even! Congratulations on your weather!:rolleyes:
I bought that scroll saw for my wife. We have been to busy on the kitchen to unbox it. This spring we are creating a new dedicated wood shop and this tool might wait to come out of its box then. Do you have the arm to hold up the arm when threading the blade?
How is the vibration?
Enjoy.
Also, do you think you will continue to stand or is a stool in the future for in front of this machine? I have a terrible back, thinking about putting it a little higher so we can sit in front of it. Your thoughts on this idea please.

edited to include last paragraph.

Ted Miller
02-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Kristina, Nice saw and I love the room in your shop...

Roy Wall
02-24-2007, 11:34 PM
Nice saw.......Nice Shop.......

Envious of your location!!

Mike Armstrong
02-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Nice shop, and yeah, a great saw. I've had one for about 3 years. I ended up mounting it on a rolling base cabinet so I can work at it sitting in a regular adjustable rolling chair.

If interested, I can post photos of my 4" dc connection, which works great. Also, others had led me to Flying Dutchman blades from Mike Moorlach - http://www.mikesworkshop.com/index.htm
Great blades and prices and excellent service. He can suggest a size(s) for your needs and you can get a couple free samples before ordering.

Mike

Kristina Tompkins
02-25-2007, 9:11 AM
Hi Mike,
I love that fact that the table does tilt it gives you a better view of your work.(at lest for me) So far I have no complants about it. I did my homework and found this one to be the best for me.

Kris

Kristina Tompkins
02-25-2007, 9:21 AM
Hi Jon,

Yes we love the weather here in Florida, we got about 80 yesturday. I'm sorry that you have not gotten the saw out maybe if you get it out the sun will come out. (lol lol ) WOW your wife will love it. It is very smooth with almost no vibration you have a little but nothing to complain about. What do you mean about the arm to hold up the arm when thrading the blade. In one picture I'm sitting and the other I'm standing the saw is at a nice heaght for both.

Kristina Tompkins
02-25-2007, 9:30 AM
Hi Mike,
Wow I love your web site!!! Please I would love to see the photos of the dc. I have also saved your site and the Flying Dutchman to my favorites. I like to saw because I can sit and stand and feel ok to both.

Jim Becker
02-25-2007, 11:12 AM
Congratulations!!! It's always fun to get a new tool!!

Nancy Laird
02-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Kristina, I have that same saw. You're gonna love it more than you already do!

Congrats!

Nancy

Lou Morrissette
02-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Congrats on the saw. I've had mine for a little over a year with no problems. I love it.

Lou

John Miliunas
02-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Kristina, congrats on the new SS! Before purchasing mine a couple years ago, I did my homework and it was (is) probably the best SS for the buck! There are better saws but, you'll be paying twice or more!:eek: Also, as Jon said, look into the hold-up bar; Really comes in handy when you're doing changing up to go through pierced pieces. Have fun with it! :) :cool:

Pete Brown
02-25-2007, 1:01 PM
For some reason, I'm in the mood for animal crackers ;)

Nice saw. They always look small to me until I see one next to a person, then I get an idea of just how huge they are.

Pete

Nancy Laird
02-25-2007, 1:04 PM
Hubby just cut me a piece of 2x4 to hold up the bar - works just fine.

Nancy

Keith Webster
02-25-2007, 2:04 PM
Dang that's a good looking shop!!

Nancy Laird
02-25-2007, 2:45 PM
Yeah, it is--but it's too clean!

lou sansone
02-25-2007, 4:16 PM
nice shop and a great ss as well. I have had mine for several years and really like it.

lou

Kristina Tompkins
02-25-2007, 7:45 PM
the shop did not stay that clean for long. Steve(hubby) has had the shop for about 6 or 7 years. What is the arm that everyone is talking about? I have changed blades a couple of times just to see how easy it was and I don't remember a arm. Someone please show me the light on the arm thing. LOL LOL LOL

Kris

Peter Stahl
02-25-2007, 7:59 PM
Hi Jon,

Yes we love the weather here in Florida, we got about 80 yesturday. I'm sorry that you have not gotten the saw out maybe if you get it out the sun will come out. (lol lol ) WOW your wife will love it. It is very smooth with almost no vibration you have a little but nothing to complain about. What do you mean about the arm to hold up the arm when thrading the blade. In one picture I'm sitting and the other I'm standing the saw is at a nice heaght for both.

Kristina,

Congrats on your saw, I have one but don't use it much. Check out this web site (www.jimdandy.com/products.html) as they have what is called a ez-lift to hold the arm up when you do blade changes. If I used my saw more I'd get one of these. Have fun with the new saw. Hope I didn't break any rule with the web site name in my reply.