PDA

View Full Version : Stubby 750 update - a gloat?

Bill Huang
02-24-2007, 9:35 PM
Hi everybody,

My Stubby is up running:D . I picked up yesterday, although I supposed to wait for my helper today, I couldn't wait, I took all parts down to my basement shop and re-assembled the whole thing all by myself last night, moving the base down to basement is the hardest part, men, it is really heavy, quite a bit muscle pain this morning. It took me about 4 hours to set up the machine, everything went surprisingly smooth but the electronics, first it is the plug, the plug is 240volt/15amp doesn't match my 220volt/20amp receptacle :mad: , I replaced the plug this morning, second, it was my stupid mistake:o , I forgot to tie the connectors together, when I plugged in, the VFD worked very well but the motor was not moving:confused: , I was scared the motor was damaged in shipping, I double checked Bill's notes found the problem and fixed it, the machine ran like charm:p .

It is running so smooth, you can't feel a thing and the noise from VFD actually is louder. I put on a out balance piece it felt no vibration at all :cool: . It is solid like rock, sorry not rock, it is a piece of cast iron. I truly believe I made a great decision. I'll attach some picture when I figur out how.

Thank you very much for helping me to make such a wonderful buy,

Bill

Brett Baldwin
02-24-2007, 11:58 PM
I'd love to congratulate you but I can't seem to make out the picture. I think the white balance was turned up too high on your camera. Sounds like an adventure though.

Bill Boehme
02-25-2007, 12:43 AM
..........I couldn't wait, I took all parts down to my basement shop and re-assembled the whole thing all by myself last night, moving the base down to basement is the hardest part...........

Well, at least you did not get overexcited about your new lathe!:D

Something important to remember: Cast iron will rust -- so go down to your basement right now and wipe the drool off the ways and then wax them. Keep a towel handy for the next few months.

Bill

Jim Becker
02-25-2007, 10:43 AM
Congratulations, Bill. I just ran out to the shop and let Stubbalina know that another of her sisters got a job!! :D :D :D

Jim Ketron
02-25-2007, 10:49 AM
Congrats on the new lathe Bill!

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2007, 1:20 PM
Congrats Bill on the new lathe if there is a new lathe. Haven't seen one yet.:eek::eek:

Again congrats Bill.

John Miliunas
02-25-2007, 1:36 PM
Congrats on the new spinny thing, Bill! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. However, do you think you could possibly post a bit larger picture of it? While I'm sure you did post a picture, it's so tiny, I can't even seem to see it with my reading glasses on! :D :cool:

Mark Cothren
02-25-2007, 3:17 PM
Congrats on that new lathe, Bill! Now show us what a Stubby can do!

Skip Spaulding
02-26-2007, 6:20 PM
Congratulations, bet you won't be able to leave it for a day or two!

mike fuson
02-26-2007, 7:00 PM
Congrats Bill, start makin' that thing hummmmm

Marty Barron
02-27-2007, 5:42 PM
Bill, who did you deal with to get the Stubby S750 and what was the final price breakdown(cost, duty, shipping, taxes, brokers fee)? Good luck with the new lathe. I have seen the lathe used on the woodturning show with Tim Yoder on the PBS west channel on satellite tv. Post your opinions after you take this puppy for a few test drives.

Marty

Jim Becker
02-27-2007, 6:12 PM
Marty, Bill Rubenstein is the US importer and distributor for Stubby. He also has a few sales agents selling the product. Pricing and other information is available on the Stubby web site (http://www.stubbylatheusa.com./cgi-bin/index.py). The Resellers area of that site also has a link to the Stubby User's Group.

It's an extraordinary machine and I'm enamored with mine...affectionally labeled Stubbalina.

Brian McInturff
02-27-2007, 7:03 PM
I decided to call mine "Mr. Mojo". For some reaqson I just couldn't give that massive lathe a girls name, especially when it can take whatever I throw at it.
If I'm not mistaken Bill went through Bill here in the US for his also, meaning I think Bill R. is the North American distributer.
I've got a couple a pieces to post as soon as I get the finish on them and buff them out. They will show how easy the Stubby handles a piece compared to the mini.
Brian

Bill Huang
03-02-2007, 6:34 PM
Sorry for reply so late, still haven't figure out how to post a pic, but I swear I did buy a stubby and I am very happy with it even haven't had much time to play yet.

Marty, both Brian & Jim are correct, I bought my Stubby from Mr. Bill R. but I did email Stubby Canada Rep Mr. Mark Salusbury (email: salusbury@nexicom.net (salusbury@nexicom.net)) back and forth quite a few time, both them are great to deal with. I have to admit and warn you , Mark email is really powerful, I was conviced by his points.

I haven't decide a name for my stubby yet but it will be a male, I have to agree with Brian, naming a few hundred pound lathe a girl's name, doesn't feel right.

Chris Barton
03-03-2007, 8:10 AM
Brutus, or the Turnminator...