PDA

View Full Version : HF or Semi HF question

Dale Gregory
02-24-2007, 9:12 PM
Being a newby, I have a question for all you HF creekers. Can you do a HF or Semi HF with normal tools like a curved scraper, (ie., without the laser and hollowing contraption or are they requirement)?

Dale

Neal Addy
02-24-2007, 9:53 PM
I do all of my hollow forms (for now) with a Sorby Multi-Tip tool. I don't own a laser or captured rig setup. Nothing wrong with using them but I prefer doing it freehand. But... all of my pieces are fairly shallow (6" deep or less) so a captured rig isn't really necessary. For deeper bowls a captured rig is almost a must.

The Multi-Tip will turn hollow forms just fine but it has a fairly thick shaft (3/4") which means that your opening is limited to about 1-1/4" or bigger depending on the shape of the piece.

I just ordered a Don Pencil combination set (Scorpion and Stinger). Should be here any day. Can't wait to try them!

Bernie Weishapl
02-24-2007, 9:57 PM
Dale I am not sure I would use a scraper although I guess you could. Some of pro's might but I just won't try it. I have the Kelton HF tools the 5/16" and 5/8". I also was given a Sorby multi tip tool and I do use the scraper tip on it for smoothing. I just order a captured system.

Neal Addy
02-24-2007, 10:01 PM
I'd agree, Bernie. I should have mentioned that you don't want to stick a regular round-nose scraper up into the shoulder of a small opening hollow form. Unless you are into catches... or exploded bowls. Might make a great introduction into segmented work!

Curt Fuller
02-24-2007, 10:14 PM
Yes Dale, you can. I truly believe that the best hollowers I've ever seen post there work regularly here on the creek. And they use the captured, laser guided systems. But you can hollow using a bent scraper, sorby hollowmaster, or any number of other tools made for hollowing. And in time (lots of time) you might get as good as Stinson, Ketron, Cothren, Addy, Hoyt, Burns,etc. etc. etc. The list goes on forever. But until you do you can use my trick. Make sure the opening is small enough that no one can see inside or get their fingers in there either.

Joash Boyton
02-25-2007, 2:31 AM
I do HF's that are 12" wide with a 2" opening, and never use any tool other than my 3/4" bowl gouge....

Mark Cothren
02-25-2007, 7:28 AM
I do HF's that are 12" wide with a 2" opening, and never use any tool other than my 3/4" bowl gouge....

Now THIS I gotta see and/or hear about... please elaborate, Joash...:confused:

Joash Boyton
02-25-2007, 8:04 AM
I am always behind the lathe when turning, it is only the last finishing cuts, that get a bit tight. I have a 30" handle, which provides good leverage. I have a special grind on my tool. I am able to go to an average thickness of 1/2", with no problem.....I have a sorby swan neck hollowing tool, but NEVER use it!!

Hmmm...I may post a step by step thread...

Joash:)

John Hart
02-25-2007, 9:17 AM
I made some special tools for my hollowing. They are essentially just scrapers. One has a nine inch reach with a fairly long handle, and another that has a 6" reach that I can get under the shoulder. I also have a Sorby hollowmaster with a swan neck. I don't use a laser or captured system...although, I really want to! Somehow, I feel like I'm paying my dues and learning all the subtle ins and outs of the wood. I hope to graduate myself to a captured system before the year is out. Until then, I'll just keep beating myself to death and exploding my pieces.:)

Andy Hoyt
02-25-2007, 11:30 PM
..... Hmmm...I may post a step by step thread...Joash:) Please do. I'm anxious to see that gouge extended.

Keith Burns
02-26-2007, 8:15 AM
I am always behind the lathe when turning, it is only the last finishing cuts, that get a bit tight. I have a 30" handle, which provides good leverage. I have a special grind on my tool. I am able to go to an average thickness of 1/2", with no problem.....I have a sorby swan neck hollowing tool, but NEVER use it!!

Hmmm...I may post a step by step thread...

Joash:)

Joash, I too would love to see this. You mentioned 12" diameter with a 2" opening, but how tall are these pieces?