PDA

View Full Version : Few Pics of my tiny messy shop

Ted Miller
02-24-2007, 8:54 PM
Just recently moved in and now I am trying to set everything up while doing some small jobs as well, so much to do so little space.

Ted Miller
02-24-2007, 8:59 PM
I purchased the 12" jointer from Wilke and now in this shop it has to be mobile, so I took one of my Shop Fox bases I had laying around and welded some steel in place and upgraded the casters for this crude base, but it works and I am able to move it to power pretty easy.

Ted Miller
02-24-2007, 9:00 PM
I know the welds are crude but I had to do this in a few hours, so it will suffice for now to keep this thing mobil...

Ted Miller
02-24-2007, 9:02 PM
Major problem now is where to locate the Clear Vue, no headroom or even wall space for that matter, 20'9" wide by 22' deep two car garage. Yup condo living in So Cal...

lou sansone
02-24-2007, 9:42 PM
looks like a nice big shop to me... nice tools. how do you like the TS?
lou

Ted Miller
02-24-2007, 10:49 PM
Lou, The TS is awesome, cuts real nice, its only a 2 hp even with the 12" blade it never even slows ripping 8/4 stock, I thought about changing fences but as of now its doing the job...

Ted Miller
02-24-2007, 10:55 PM
A couple more. Right where the bandsaw and the sander/planer cart is at I am going to build a cabinet benchtop under that large shelf, need a small area for my vise and a place to sit and think.

Bart Leetch
02-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Man what I could do with a space like that.

Pete Brown
02-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Ted, how high is your ceiling? You ought to be able to fit the cyclone in there. My shop is 11x15 and I have a Gorilla cyclone taking up a corner. You just need to be willing to sacrifice a little space, and make more efficient use of the remaining space.

Have you drawn up a shop layout by any chance?

Pete

Mike Hollingsworth
02-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Ted

Sell the:
planer
jointer
TS
RAS
your first born

Buy a Combo

into 18x20, I got Gorilla, Lathe, Sliding Panel Saw, Shaper, Jointer, Planar, BandSaw, Wide Belt, 6x89 sander, workbench, Miter Saw, and accessories. Couldn't be done without the combo.
Mike Hollingsworth

Eric Wong
02-25-2007, 11:45 AM
Nothing tiny about that shop, or that table saw! (or that jointer!)
Nice shop, thanks for the pics!

My shop is half that size. Its one bay of a three car garage. Luckily, I use one of the other bays when SWMBO permits.

Bruce Page
02-25-2007, 11:49 AM
Nice shop Ted, it dosen't look too crowded. My garage shop is mostly on wheels too, I wouldn't know what to do with a large space! :eek:
Love the Yorkcraft!

Russ Cass
02-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Nice looking shop!

You want to see tiny???

Mine is 10'x12' :(

John Miliunas
02-25-2007, 12:52 PM
Nice shop and nice equipment, Ted! I used to work out of a 20x17 area, of which about 5x8 was almost unusable, due to it being a major through-way between inside and outside. Looks to me like you should be able to make that work nicely, especially with the mobility you provided for most of the tools. :)

As for the DC, any chance you can "bump out" an area just outside of the shop to put the ClearVue mechanicals into? My buddy Karl in Wisconsin Dells did that and it works famously for him. Just a thought... :) Thanks for the tour! :) :cool:

Keith Webster
02-25-2007, 2:08 PM
So....I'm not the only one with cordless drills out the you know what. I will by those things if they are marked down all the time. You have some great other tools also.

Jameel Abraham
02-25-2007, 5:18 PM
How do you like the Yorkcraft jointer?

Howie French
02-25-2007, 7:13 PM
Great shop Ted !, I too would be interested in hearing how you like the Yorkcraft it looks like Grizzley's 12". Seems like alot of Jointer for the money.

Howie

Ted Miller
02-25-2007, 7:47 PM
Thanks guys for the comments, I have been doing some re-arranging all day today andf I think I have it licked, I will post some more pics when I get my bench done.

I really like the York 12", upgraded from a 8" Delta and from a 6" Shop Fox, why did I not buy the 12" to start, live and learn. The Yorkie cuts real nice and its very quite, did the nickel test and it passed 3 ons and offs. The beds were almost perfect, infeed was off .001 and the outfeed had a slight dish of .002 but this is about 21" from the blade, so no concern. Fence has a tiny bit of a twist, but .001 is nothing to bother me.

Ted Miller
02-25-2007, 7:54 PM
Ted, how high is your ceiling? You ought to be able to fit the cyclone in there. My shop is 11x15 and I have a Gorilla cyclone taking up a corner. You just need to be willing to sacrifice a little space, and make more efficient use of the remaining space.

Have you drawn up a shop layout by any chance?

Pete

Pete, my ceiling is about 96", the garage is all sheetrock, big problem is no more wood storage since I moved from my last condo, so now I have to use some wall space for wood storage and I use the bottom of my outfeed for flat stock.

I have 8 each 8' flourescents plus 3 each 4', I just added two 8' that are 110 watts, man they give off some light, but a tad yellow.

I am only getting 70 amp in the garage at the moment, so I may move up to a 50 am breaker from the panel so I can then use 2 itmes at 220 volts each, right not I have 10 single gang and 4 double gang outlets 110v on their own 20 amp breakers and 3 each 220v outlets on 1 each 30 amp breaker.

I did draw out my shop but I did have a few smaller items and sold them off and upgraded, so it will take some time to get it in order...

Kristina Tompkins
02-25-2007, 8:04 PM
Hi Ted

We have everything on wheeles also, it just makes everything easier to move. Here are some pics of our shop.

Kris

Ted Miller
02-25-2007, 8:15 PM
Kris, I really like the room you have for assembly and just moving around. My last shop was a three car garage with plenty of room and a 9' ceiling, so I just need to make some changes. Thanks for your pics, nice scroll saw by the way...

John Miliunas
02-25-2007, 8:26 PM
Hi Ted

We have everything on wheeles also, it just makes everything easier to move. Here are some pics of our shop.

Kris

Comments:
A) Too clean.
B) Table saw envy.
C) I'm still trying to get over the shorts thing while looking out my window at all the dang snow we have here! :mad: :cool:

Ted Miller
02-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks John, yea this morning was cold here, 47 and I think it will only get to 65 today, I just broke out my winter shorts to wear to work, lol...

Ted Miller
02-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Howie, I looked for 6 months and went to 4 wood shows and many stores to see what exactly I wanted to get from which vendor. I felt the General, Griz and York all made at the same plant. I also found out only three plants in Taiwan make jointers. So I went by a few guys I know personally who own these tools and went with the York, so far I am not disappointed...

Pete Brown
02-26-2007, 1:58 PM
Pete, my ceiling is about 96", the garage is all sheetrock, big problem is no more wood storage since I moved from my last condo, so now I have to use some wall space for wood storage and I use the bottom of my outfeed for flat stock.

You may want to look to see what else you can do for lumber storage. That is going to be more flexible than the dust collector. IIRC, the Gorilla 2hp will fit under a 8' ceiling. I have mine mounted to the wall in my shop. I'll post a picture some time.

I have 8 each 8' flourescents plus 3 each 4', I just added two 8' that are 110 watts, man they give off some light, but a tad yellow.

Check out my pages on lighting here (http://www.irritatedvowel.com/Railroad/Layout/Lighting/CompareFluorescents.aspx) and here (http://www.irritatedvowel.com/Railroad/Layout/Lighting/Lighting.aspx). I hope that is of some help.

I did draw out my shop but I did have a few smaller items and sold them off and upgraded, so it will take some time to get it in order...

If you post your drawing, folks here may be able to help you find appropriate space. Sometimes an outside set of eyes can see things you may not be able to see, working in there every day :)

Nice shop and nice equipment, BTW.

Pete

Dennis Putnam
02-26-2007, 2:19 PM
a place to sit and think.

Where I'm from we call that the bathroom.:)

Ted Miller
02-26-2007, 2:35 PM
Pete, My last garage had windows, so I still used the 8's but with no outside light coming its a bit off, I can work with it and I really like the brightness of the 110w but like I said a bit yellow. I have to keep my garage door closed since I respect all the other homeowners in the area, no power tools after 5 pm either...

Ted Miller
02-26-2007, 2:36 PM
Where I'm from we call that the bathroom.:)

Its the library where I am from, lol...