PDA

View Full Version : First Turnings...

Rick Burson
12-08-2003, 8:20 PM
Made some ring holders for Christmas presents. Can't wait to do some pens, bowls, weed pots, etc. I like the spinny tool. They still need a little more poly.

R->L Sepelle, Sapelle again (even managed a captured ring), Some branch - dunno what but it's hard and Walnut

http://www.fototime.com/87400DDE6EA34E6/standard.jpg

Rick

Julie Wright
12-08-2003, 9:05 PM
THose are cool, never heard of any of that wood except the walnut. The captured ring is neat. Keep on turning...

Made some ring holders for Christmas presents. Can't wait to do some pens, bowls, weed pots, etc. I like the spinny tool. They still need a little more poly.

R->L Sepelle, Sapelle again (even managed a captured ring), Some branch - dunno what but it's hard and Walnut

Rick

Jim Becker
12-08-2003, 10:38 PM
"Some Branch" looks like an interesting species! :D Nice job on these turnings...a captured ring even! Neat. The recipients will undoubtedly shower you with adoration...and ask you where the ring(s) are to put on these beauties... :)

Joe Suelter
12-09-2003, 1:01 PM
Awesome! The captured ring is something I've been meaning to try someday! It just looks so cool. Is there a special tool that you used to make it? I've only seen it done on DIY once, and I didn't even catch the whole thing. You're work looks great though!

Rick Burson
12-09-2003, 9:06 PM
Thanks all. I really enjoy it.

Joe, Yea...I used a captured ring tool I picked up from WoodCraft. Was a pain the first few attempts but, I just kept trying again. I was bound and determined to make it work 'cause that one is for my Mom.

But I'll tell ya, just doing the ring help my "touch" about a ton. I did the egg last and was able to take "off just a speck" right where I needed to.

Rick