PDA

View Full Version : Moving Corel's Point of origin question?

Ben Levesque
02-24-2007, 8:25 PM
Is there a way that you can move Corel's '' point of origin '' to the center of your drawing or objet? So that it will corespond to your laser's origin red point?

Changing the 0,0 on my Laser is quite easy, but I'm trying to change the corner of corel sheet to the same origin, and I'm not able to acheive it.

Thanks

Ben

Mike Null
02-24-2007, 8:36 PM
If you want to set the origin orf your drawing in Corel to the upper left corner go to Tools, options, document, rulers; set the horizontal to 0 and the vertical to whatever the height of your table is, for example 12.

This will start your drawing at 0 0 in the upper left corner. Click on document and save the settings as default.

Ben Levesque
02-24-2007, 9:56 PM
If you want to set the origin orf your drawing in Corel to the upper left corner go to Tools, options, document, rulers; set the horizontal to 0 and the vertical to whatever the height of your table is, for example 12.

This will start your drawing at 0 0 in the upper left corner. Click on document and save the settings as default.
That is exacly my issue, I've done just what you just explain earlier, and even toug the rulers has a new 0,0 directed to the center of my object or drawing, as you can see on my pic, the laser won't take that during printing as it's new origin, and will still use the same paper corner and print the text as low as you see in the picture. That is why I was asking how to change corel origin and not the ruler origin, so that the laser will accept this new origin also.

Ben

Shaddy Dedmore
02-24-2007, 10:27 PM
You may be able to change the orig on your laser, but that would be like a calibration, and you'd have to do it every time you want something different, it's not set in Corel. The rulers are just for your benefit while making your drawings. THe upper left of the page will always be the lasers 0,0

Shaddy

Ben Levesque
02-24-2007, 10:33 PM
You may be able to change the orig on your laser, but that would be like a calibration, and you'd have to do it every time you want something different, it's not set in Corel. The rulers are just for your benefit while making your drawings. THe upper left of the page will always be the lasers 0,0

Shaddy
Ok, I understand now, but what would be my best solution to bring the laser red dot (0,0) in the middle of my text, for orientation purpose?

Ben

Mike Null
02-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Ben:

Your draw software at 0 0 is the stating point for your work.
Go back into the tools, options and set up your workspace so that your can position your drawing to the location you want it.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you want there is no need to put your red pointer at the center of your drawing. Your red dot should be at the upper left 0 0 position when the engraving begins.

Mike Null
02-24-2007, 11:27 PM
Ben:
Another thought--have you set the laser table size as your page size?

Ben Levesque
02-25-2007, 8:23 AM
Ben:

Your draw software at 0 0 is the stating point for your work.
Go back into the tools, options and set up your workspace so that your can position your drawing to the location you want it.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you want there is no need to put your red pointer at the center of your drawing. Your red dot should be at the upper left 0 0 position when the engraving begins.
I'm not sure you understand what I'm trying to do, and this can be done I am sure. I need to use the '' new home position '' of the laser to be able to align correctly a text into a objet anywere on the working table. see pic. So the only thing missing is to tell Corel that my point of origin is on the middle of my text.

Ben

Scott Shepherd
02-25-2007, 8:29 AM
Ben, what was shown to me at a demo was that when you want something to be in the place where the red dot pointer is, you first put your workpiece in, free up the axis, turn on the red dot, and manually position the red dot on the workpiece where you want the center to be.

Then, you read the X and Y coordinates off the display. Now you know where the zero needs to be in Corel. Go into corel, click on the text, and enter those coordinates and send it to the laser. The text will then be exactly where your red dot pointer was.

It's kind of backwards from what you seem to be thinking, as doing it in corel first.

I have no idea if this is the right way, but it's what I saw in a demo and it appeared to work perfectly.

Dave Jones
02-25-2007, 8:44 AM
I believe the center origin feature you want is only available in the printer driver of one brand of laser. I don't remember which one, (not Epilog, which is what I have) but I remember somebody mentioning it.

What is possible with most lasers, which will be close enough for what you want is to put the text in the upper left corner of the page in Corel, positioning it based on the size of the object and the object being pushed up against that corner of the page. And then in the laser use the red dot pointer to set the origin in the laser at the top left corner of where the object you are engraving actually is on the table.

Mike Null
02-25-2007, 8:47 AM
Ben:

Sorry but it took me a long time realize what you want to do.

On my machine when I want to position the laser red dot in the center of the work I do so by means of the control panel on the laser. Then, within the driver I drag the drawing to the laser position.

On mine, in order to drag the drawing it has to be on a plate sized to allow movement within the parmeters of the laser table. A plate is simply a container for the artwork.

I believe this must be done in your driver rather than Corel.

Ben Levesque
02-25-2007, 9:33 AM
I believe the center origin feature you want is only available in the printer driver of one brand of laser. I don't remember which one, (not Epilog, which is what I have) but I remember somebody mentioning it.

What is possible with most lasers, which will be close enough for what you want is to put the text in the upper left corner of the page in Corel, positioning it based on the size of the object and the object being pushed up against that corner of the page. And then in the laser use the red dot pointer to set the origin in the laser at the top left corner of where the object you are engraving actually is on the table.

Yes Dave, at the end of the day (yesterday) this is exacly what I have done, if anyone has better tips for the Epilog, give us some insigh.

Thanks everyone for you help.

Ben

Mike Null
02-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Ben
One more try.
If you position your red dot at a place on the table which you want to be the center of your engraving--not the 0 0, can you read on your control panel or in your driver the x and y position?

If you can then set the x and y settings in Corel to correspond. Those x and y positions are the center or what I think you are calling the 0 0 postion of your drawing.

Ben Levesque
02-25-2007, 1:49 PM
Ben
One more try.
If you position your red dot at a place on the table which you want to be the center of your engraving--not the 0 0, can you read on your control panel or in your driver the x and y position?

If you can then set the x and y settings in Corel to correspond. Those x and y positions are the center or what I think you are calling the 0 0 postion of your drawing.

Yes that would be another option too Epilog has a X&Y coordonates in the screen , Scott brouth it to my atention also.

Thanks Mike.

Ben

Ed Lang
02-25-2007, 6:44 PM
Ben,
Are you wanted to do the 0,0 like most CNC folks would do? Center the 0,0 point in the middle of the CAD drawing and then zero the CNC machine to the center of your material?

I do this all the time with my CNC Router, but don't know how to do this with my Universal Laser. Seems the way laser folks think is the way it was posted above...... move the lasers red dot via the front panel controls till it points to the 0,0 you want and then copy down the X and Y pos indication on the lasers control panel. Then use those as the center of the text in Corel. Keep in mind the machine still thinks the 0,0 point is still the upper Left corner in my case. I of coures have my material registered to that upper Left when I run the red dot to the 0,0 point of my material and copy the position numbers.

All of my CAD software except Corel, which is a drawing program will allow me to set the "noman" to any corner or the center and I can zero my Z axis to either the top of the material or the bed of the machine.

take care and I hope some of this is helpful.

Mike Hood
02-25-2007, 7:00 PM
I believe the center origin feature you want is only available in the printer driver of one brand of laser. I don't remember which one.

Pinnacle or LaserPro. You just point the red dot at the center of your work and hit start. It'll center both horizontally and vertically from there. REALLY handy for engraving with minimal effort... just drag-n-drop :)

George M. Perzel
02-25-2007, 7:28 PM
Hi all;
Not sure exactly what the issue is as I have a Laserpro which allows the following by selection:
Home: starts at the upper left corner of the machine (also the upper left corner of the Corel layout page and ends in the same position when done engraving.
Without Home:same as above but ends at last point engraved.

Relative: Origin becomes the point wherever you place the red dot -process starts and ends there- can be anywhere on the table.

Center: Place the red dot wherever-that is the center of the total Corel image- great for doing bottoms of bowls, etc. Starts and ends in the center.

One of the best features of the Laserpro units has been the ability to manually move and position the head by hand wherever you want it- noneed to key in coordinates or move by arrow keys.

By the way, in the upper left corner of the Corel layout there is a small right angle with an arrow. Click on that and drag it to wherever you want the 0,0 position to be.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Mike Hood
02-25-2007, 7:34 PM
I use the "Home" feature a lot more now that I realized how much time I spend sliding the head out of the way manually. Great to have it "stow" itself out of the way in the end.

"Center" is hands-down the feature I use the most. It's great for labeling small parts. I usually draw a rectangle at about the size of the ecthable area. Run it at 0% power to see my boundaries and then use the box as a boundary.

I've been able to hit some little tiny flat spots when marking parts that way. very nice feature. Is it unique to LaserPro & Pinnacle brands then?

Mike Null
02-26-2007, 8:30 AM
Just for info, the Trotec also allows you to move the red dot whereever and begin the engraving at that point.