PDA

View Full Version : Another Dust Collection Question

Dave Novak
02-24-2007, 6:46 PM
I know this topic has been covered in great detail and volume, as I've read for hours on the subject. All this reading has converted me from a dusty heritic to a dust collection deciple, so I'm working this weekend to get set up as well as my budget will allow. Although I know it's not the best available, space, voltage, and cost limitations are pushing me toward the HF 70 gallon 2 hp collector with the optional 1 micron filter. But I'm not writing to discuss it's relative merits. I need help with the following:

1. My new bandsaw, (Laguna 16 HD - I'm so in love with it) has a 4 3/4" collection port. I can't find anything at Lowes/Menards plumbing departments to step this down to 4". I'd prefer not to use flimsy tin ducting to make the transition, any ideas?

2. My biggest dust creator is probably my Delta 12" compound Miter saw. It has a little dust bag attached to the back on about a 1 3/4" port. It gets such a small fraction of the dust it's hardly worth using. Assuming I can transition it into my 4" DC, do you think it will improve collection enough to be worthwhile? The users manual mentions nothing about DC, how do you guys handle this?

3. My Delta open stand Table saw is also a major dust creator. That manual offers no collection ideas either. I was thinking I might do my best to box in the bottom of the saw with a 4" dist port. Good Idea? I've seen pictures of your saws, and i've noticed above blade collection access, but it seems I could work from below effectively.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

James Phillips
02-24-2007, 7:02 PM
For the same price you can go to woodcraft and pick up the 1.5 HP Jet. I think the quality will more than make up for the slightly smaller motor. The filter on the jet is rated at 2 microns, but what is a micron between friends.

I have the 1.5 HP running in my shop with about 80 feet of duct work and have zero problems.

Dave Novak
02-24-2007, 7:12 PM
For the same price you can go to woodcraft and pick up the 1.5 HP Jet. I think the quality will more than make up for the slightly smaller motor. The filter on the jet is rated at 2 microns, but what is a micron between friends.

I have the 1.5 HP running in my shop with about 80 feet of duct work and have zero problems.

I can get the HF for $169 minus 15%, and the 1 micron attachment for $169, all in about $320. I'll look up the cost of the Jet and take a look at it, thanks for the input.

By the way, I just duct taped my shop vac to the dust collectoin port on my MS. I didn't even bother to try to cut anything to test it because I could barely even feel the suction near the blade. Maybe the DC will suck hard enough to make a difference, but at this point I'm not feeling very good about it. I use the heck out of this saw, so I'm really hoping to figure something out.

Eric Wong
02-24-2007, 8:00 PM
I saw someone who had cut a hole in the cabinet under his miter saw and hooked up DC there. I think he also had a hood in the back of the miter saw to catch dust being flung that direction. This makes sense because much of the dust will get pushed down and back. Just an idea.

Also, have you considered going to 6" duct and hose? More air = better (as long as you have enough power to keep the airspeed up)

As far as the TS goes, much of the dust gets flung back at the operator from above the table. That's why people often use a guard/DC shroud about the table. Collection from below simply won't catch it all.

E

James Phillips
02-24-2007, 8:01 PM
I got my Jet with filter for about $350.

Dave Novak
02-24-2007, 8:11 PM
I saw someone who had cut a hole in the cabinet under his miter saw and hooked up DC there. I think he also had a hood in the back of the miter saw to catch dust being flung that direction. This makes sense because much of the dust will get pushed down and back. Just an idea.

Also, have you considered going to 6" duct and hose? More air = better (as long as you have enough power to keep the airspeed up)

As far as the TS goes, much of the dust gets flung back at the operator from above the table. That's why people often use a guard/DC shroud about the table. Collection from below simply won't catch it all.

E

I'm using the MS now to make a bunch of production type cuts and watchng where dust goes. Friggin everywhere. I really can't come from underneath as it's in-layed into a long workbench with drawers directly below it. Looks really cool but it's the wrong place for the dusty mess. I've built a pretty good shop but ignored dust collection from the beginning, and now that I'm a deciple I'm paying heavy. Need to talk LOML into moving so I can start over.

Eric Wong
02-24-2007, 8:33 PM
...I've built a pretty good shop but ignored dust collection from the beginning, and now that I'm a deciple I'm paying heavy. Need to talk LOML into moving so I can start over.

I was in the same situation a couple years back, and then started reading everything I could get my hands on about dust collection. Ended up being a big fan of Bill Pentz' work, and now I'm installing what I hope will be my final cyclone system, one of Bill's designs. (http://billpentz.com/woodworking/Cyclone/Index.cfm) (http://billpentz.com/woodworking/Cyclone/Index.cfm)

As far as moving goes, I keep telling my wife the same thing! I want a house with an attached 8 car garage. :D