PDA

View Full Version : Keith Burns - Don't Read This

John Hart
02-24-2007, 5:43 PM
I spent my Saturday afternoon on the hunt for the elusive burl. Ran over to the Maple and Cherry sawmill, and talked to Marvin, the owner. Evidently he has been saving a few pieces for me over the past couple weeks. Some pretty spectacular burls and burl slabs (all maple) Plus some great cherry hollowform candidates.
Marvin doesn't allow pictures so I couldn't take any at the sawmill. But these first two are maple.
58750 58751
Beautiful figure and bark inclusions throughout. Pretty thick too! The thicker pieces will probably be cut for hollowforms.
Here's the Cherry pieces. They're a couple feet long and 6"X6" square. He was going to use them as firewood...but he saw the tear in my eye and threw them in the truck.:D

These next two pictures are the prize:
This maple guy stands 4 feet tall and has burls all over it with curl everywhere. The thinnest part of this chunk is 5", with the thicker parts going up to 10". I have no clue how to cut it. May need a little Creeker help on this one.

<<Continued>>

Bill Wyko
02-24-2007, 5:49 PM
Wow whatta score. You'll have to show us some after pictures when the time comes. It's sad to think of how much of this must have been used for firewood:(

John Hart
02-24-2007, 5:54 PM
Here's another shot of another maple burl slab

Next stop...the Walnut Sawmill. Paul isn't squeemish about cameras, as long as I don't take direct pictures of him. He's been saving some walnut and cherry logs for me, so today was the scheduled pickup day. They weigh 300 pounds a piece so I couldn't load them...so Paul got a little help
Sure made it easy. Then he pointed me to another pile of cutoffs that they saved from this week during their lumber grading. Got some more 8/4 stuff and threw it on top.
Now the real trouble was once I got home! How in tarnation am I going to get these big suckers off the truck?
Final solution? Tie straps around them...attach the straps to the shop...pull the truck forward. Worked pretty good....then I was able to lift them on to each other out of the way, using the straps as handles. I'll chain saw them where they lay.

Another fun day! I think I want to try one of those end-grain natural edge bowls. The largest log is over 12" diameter with a large gnarly burl in the center. I think I'll try my experiment on a slice of that one.

John Miliunas
02-24-2007, 6:08 PM
Mr. Hart, I'm not exactly sure how I can put this nicely, so the heck with it: You suck!!!! :D Any of the sawmill or rough stock suppliers around here that I've asked for similar "leftovers" or such say, "Sure. I've got this or that. (Pointing....) I'll let that one over there go for $20.00. The one next to it is pretty big so, I should get 30 or 40 for it." :( You're lucky, man! Good for you. Can't wait to see finished product(s) from them! :) :cool:

Keith Burns
02-24-2007, 7:52 PM
Ok John, I didn't read it, just looked at the pictures. I think I will yust go to my little room and cry !!

Jim Becker
02-24-2007, 9:29 PM
You sure did move into a virtual "gold mine" of wood, John...oy!

Bernie Weishapl
02-24-2007, 10:03 PM
John it is dead white out today after the blizzard and the only green is me with envy. John you keep loading wood you aren't going to have room to turn. Besides you'll be wearing out the C-man and have to get a Mayo, Mustard and a Nova just to turn all that wood.

John you are a lucky man.:p

Andy Hoyt
02-24-2007, 11:10 PM
Hey John Hart!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e318/AndyHoyt944/TRU%20Permanent/Keith05.jpg

Rich Souchek
02-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Hey John Hart!

Yea....... From me too!!!!!!

Seth Poorman
02-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Nice score John
Question? Will you have to seal that so it doesnt check???
Im kinda a newbee turner..:o

Barry Stratton
02-25-2007, 12:54 AM
Hey John Hart!

And ain't it GREAT!!!! What awesome hauls John. Can me and my Superduty come visit you this summer????? I'll bring a trailer and strong back.........

John Hart
02-25-2007, 8:37 AM
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w114/bluepatriot76/suck.jpg

Now...ya'll don't think I'm going to turn all this.....Do you?
Only half!!!:)

Seth....Yep....I'll anchorseal all of this. On the agenda for today is to get it cut up and sealed and stacked. Then I box it up as people order it....usually according to what they ask for. Should last a couple years.
With regard to sealing....I've had mixed luck. Sometimes when I sealed the entire blank...it'll turn sour, depending on the weather.....Other times, sealing the entire blank, results in no problems. Just sealing the endgrain and any bark inclusions, will give you pretty good results. Keep it out of the sun...and in a cool stable environment. Most importantly, remember that if you do all that stuff, and it cracks anyway....then there was probably nothing you could do to prevent it.

Barry....Bring it on!! Wood hunting is addicting...and I'm always saying, "I need a bigger truck!!!:D

JM.....Funny thing around here. The amish usually burn all this wood because it's in the way. So they like the fact that I'll take it away. I gave Paul a vase the other day and he told me that he would rather have turned pieces than money....but if I gave him a few 5 dollar bills, he would give it to the kids for incentive to create a stack of nice pieces for me as they work. It's really a nice environment.:)

Ed Scolforo
02-25-2007, 10:35 AM
John, LOVE IT!!!

Gary Herrmann
02-25-2007, 1:35 PM
Geez, what a haul.

John Chandler
02-25-2007, 6:58 PM
What a nice deal. You sure know how to spread the envy.