PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on a good LCD monitor?

Bruce Page
02-24-2007, 3:30 PM
Last night LOML & I went out looking for a new 22” or larger, wide format LCD monitor with good specs. One that stood out was the 24” Gateway FPD 2485 W. CNET and others give it top marks in response time, contrast ratio, etc, but at ~ $650 it’s more than I want to spend.

Can anyone recommend a cheaper but still first-rate monitor? I’ll probably need to invest in a new video card but that’s to be expected.

Chuck Wintle
02-24-2007, 6:13 PM
I recently bought a 19 inch Samsung, model 931BF, and like it so far. From what I have read it is hard to go wrong with Samsung. :)

Ken Garlock
02-24-2007, 6:26 PM
Hi Bruce. A year ago I bought a Samsung SyncMaster 244T, a 24" LCD monitor. At that time I was over $800. It is an excellent monitor, and yes I would buy it again. You may be looking for something that doesn't exist, a 22"+ monitor for a 17" price. From my point of view, I would restrict my search to the major brand name monitor makers like Samsung, Sony, Viewsonic, etc. A place like newegg.com would give you a good cross section of what is available.

Good luck in your search.

Bruce Page
02-24-2007, 6:34 PM
Ken, I'm willing to spring for a 19" price! :D
I have a 19" CRT that's starting to fade away. I'm sure there are good buys out there somewhere.

Dave Hale
02-24-2007, 8:32 PM
Costco carries a brand called 'Sceptre'. I have two of them. A 19" that's 2 years old and a 20" widescreen that's 1 year old. Never a problem. Older one's a 12ms response time and the newer one is 8ms. Excellent quality. Very bright (too bright out of the box) and no dead pixels. When I bought them, around $100 cheaper than the name brands. I checked just now and the 20" is going for $180, with rebate.

Matt Meiser
02-24-2007, 9:13 PM
I inherited an ~21" Dell at work when someone left the company. I really like it and my 19" Dell at home. However, I have no complaints with a cheap 17" that I got at Staples for my shop computer either.

Bruce Page
02-24-2007, 9:27 PM
Dave, did you have any video card issues with the monitor?
I might have to tag along with LOML tomorrow when she goes to costco.

Jim Becker
02-24-2007, 9:37 PM
The video card question is very valid...digital is a good idea and older cards only support analog.

Dave Hale
02-25-2007, 12:33 AM
Dave, did you have any video card issues with the monitor?
I might have to tag along with LOML tomorrow when she goes to costco.

Bruce,
No problems. One's connected VGA (analog), the other's DVI (digital). Both of mine take either connection. Check the box and make sure it takes both or takes the output of the video card you have. VGA is usually purple, and DVI is white. My wife says I'm colorblind, I say I'm color 'ambivalent' so maybe it's not purple. :)

Bruce Page
02-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks Dave, I'll check them out today.

Hans Loeblich
02-25-2007, 12:38 PM
I will second Ken's suggestion of newegg.com. I have bought from them many times, and they have a great selection and pretty good prices. I currently have a Sharp 19" that I got about a year ago. It's a very nice monitor that was the right size(aka price :o) for me. As far as brands go, IMHO Sharp and Samsung usually make top quality LCDs, not sure about other brands.

Also, if you decide on a particular model, before you buy it I would check froogle.com and pricewatch.com to see if there are better prices anywhere else.

Anthony Anderson
02-25-2007, 2:28 PM
Bruce, My wife has a 19" Dell Ultrasharp on her computer and she really loves it. It has four USB ports right on the monitor...very handy. Check it out on the website. Last time I checked it was $263 with free shipping. Make sure you are looking at the Ultra Sharp, as they do sell other models. Bill

David Howden
02-25-2007, 4:33 PM
Just do not forget your eyes are only about four inches apart. With nil peripheral vision you will start to look like Ben Turpin if you buy a mega monitor. 21inches is good if you sit anywhere near the PC.:D

Matt Meiser
02-25-2007, 6:33 PM
Just do not forget your eyes are only about four inches apart. With nil peripheral vision you will start to look like Ben Turpin if you buy a mega monitor. 21inches is good if you sit anywhere near the PC.:D

That is true. When I went from a 19 to the 21 at work it took a lot of adjustment. I had to move the monitor back a little on my desk and switch to a higher resolution. In the end, I have the same size fonts, etc, just more room on the desktop. I still love it though.

Bruce Page
02-25-2007, 8:07 PM
I had to look up Ben Turpin, LOL!
I have the 21" old format Dell LCD at work so I'm used to the larger screens. I do think I would be happy with the 20" in the 16:10 format. I didn't get a chance to get to cosco today.