PDA

View Full Version : Colonial Williamsburg on Fine Woodworking

John Timberlake
02-24-2007, 3:22 PM
Just found a new posting on finewoodworking.com with video from the cabinet shop at Colonial Willaimsburg. Not all that much information, just interesting to see.

Dave Anderson NH
02-24-2007, 7:01 PM
I've spent many a fine hour or three in the Hay Cabinet Shop over the years during my annual January trips to Williamsburg. Every time I learn by watching and observing, and by asking questions of the staff. Mack Headley, Dave Salisbury, and Kaare Loftheim are first rate as both woodworkers and as teachers. If you ever get the chance to spend time at Williamsburg allow a good bit extra for the cabinet shop because you will have a hard time motivating yourself to leave it. If you are into 18th century furniture, that goes triple.

Michael Gibbons
02-25-2007, 1:05 AM
I ve only seen 1 picture of the shop before so now I know how big it actually is. Cool.

Philip Duffy
02-25-2007, 6:15 PM
Sorry for the semi-gloat but I live 8 miles from The Shop and it is my favorite on a Sunday morning stroll down DOG St. and a left turn and a left turn, and into the shop to see the latest. Amazing accomplishments in that shop-- - every visit. Philip

James Mittlefehldt
02-26-2007, 12:13 AM
I found the initial story so inteesting I subscribed to their website to see the rest, now I will have to see what else is available to me from FWW that I could not see before.

Someday I have to go there.

Brian Hale
02-26-2007, 5:36 AM
I was lucky enough to spend a few hours in there watching them work and admiring the finished pieces. I left there feeling like a rank amateur.

Brian :)

Jerry Palmer
02-26-2007, 2:17 PM
I was trolling around looking for some info on one of mack Headley's books and stumbled on http://www.history.org/Foundation/journal/ . The electronic version of the Colonial Williamsburg Journal. Lots of great info on Colonial Williamsburg as well as some cool history stuff.

John Timberlake
02-26-2007, 3:56 PM
I have been to Colonial Williamsburg about every three years for the last 30 years. The cabinet shop is the only part of it that has improved IMHO. Adding the room with finished projects that you can touch greatly improved the experience for the furniture maker. January 2006 I spent about 4 hours there plus attending the seminar on chair making. Great time.