PDA

View Full Version : Just need to know about corian

Bob Reda
02-24-2007, 3:21 PM
I just need to know if you can run corian through a planer? If you can use woodworking tools on it i thought you might be able to plane it. I' would like to know before I do something silly and have to buy a new planer:)

Thanks
Bob

Shaddy Dedmore
02-24-2007, 3:50 PM
It seems like the feed rate would be too high, and too much surface area being in contact with the blades. If you attempt it, only take a teeny bit off each pass.

Another way might be a jig and a router with a carbide bit. Then sand it afterwards.

SHaddy

M Toupin
02-24-2007, 3:53 PM
Bob,
Yes, you can run it through your planner... But, it's not real good for the blades and it's probably pretty hard on the machine too. I also wouldn't use that brand new set of blades you just installed either. I've done it once in a pinch against the advise of many here. It did work, and contrary to some the sun did come up the next day.:rolleyes: If you do go that route be sure to use very, very light cuts, like 1/64 inch.

With that said, a Drum sander is a MUCH better option, I'd only use the planner as a very last resort.

Mike

Keith Outten
02-24-2007, 6:36 PM
Along the same lines I would like to know if you can run Corian through a molding machine. The process would be similar to a planner, the knives are profiled and not as long but it seems to me the feeds and speeds would be close.

I have used my drum sander many times with Corian.

Bob, if you can find someone who owns a CNC router near your location they can surface Corian for you in a snap. I have done it many times on my ShopBot with a 1.25" diameter surfacing flat bottom router bit.

Syd Lorandeau
02-24-2007, 7:05 PM
Bob,
I use my Delta 12 1/2' planer all the time on corian. I have put 12" pieces thru but as the guys say, tiny cuts. She will lug a little on 12' stuff but the surface comes out okey.
Syd

Bob Reda
02-25-2007, 8:02 AM
Thanks guys,

Just as I thought, I have a bot so I can use it. The purpose of this is that I received a bunch of corian scraps and the gentleman gave me probably around 300 feet of window seal about 6" wide they just installed and ripped out. It has some plaster and glue on the back sides. I didn't know if I could plane it out or The area I would look to now is probably the drum sander. Its a nice almond color and I ws hoping to get it to around a 1/4" and use for lithoplanes

Thanks again.
Bob

Bob

Bob Reda
02-25-2007, 3:07 PM
Well. I guess you figured out that I just had to try running it through the planer. I have a Delta 15" I ran about 300 feet thorough to remove the plaster and glue and trimmed it out just below a half inch, I took one panel about 10" wide and 8' long and brought it down to just above 1/4" figured I give it one light pass through the sander. As I always do when I run something through the planer that isn't hardwood, I ran some cherry through to clean up the blades and such. It didn't seem to have any adverse effects. The chips I had in the knives are still there and in the same places! I only did this knowing I needed to sharpen my knives anyway. But I really didn't notice any ill effects. I only took it about a quarter turn on the handle at a time.

Bob