PDA

View Full Version : A decent score and advise needed.

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-24-2007, 1:17 PM
I just was given this by a friend who has had it sitting is a barn for a few years. I've started a milling side business and this should help me out a lot. My plans are to clean it up and paint it Powermatic baby poop yellow.:D It currently has a 7.5 hp 3 phase motor that I'll need to convert to single. What would be the best route? A converter or try looking for a single phase motor? I'm not much with electric so I could use the advise from the good people here! Thanks in advance, Kurt
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l317/rubberhook/planner3.jpg?t=1172340566

Fred Voorhees
02-24-2007, 2:49 PM
Nice score Kurt. A little elbow grease and that should be a welcome addition to anyones shop. Tell me, what's the width on that baby?

Craig Stueve
02-24-2007, 3:29 PM
I can't help with the motor but that is one sweet looking planer! Keep us posted on how the rebuild goes.

Craig

Pete Bradley
02-24-2007, 3:50 PM
Kurt,

Really nice score! Check out the FAQ and forum archives on the Old Woodworking Machines site: http://www.owwm.org/

BTW - that machine started life Powermatic green rather than the later hideous yellow.

Pete

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-24-2007, 4:03 PM
Thanks guys! It's a 20"er. I know about the green thing but I figured I'd make it match my lathe! LOL!

Bruce Page
02-24-2007, 4:09 PM
Kurt, nice score, I wish I had friends like that!

You have three basic options that I know of.
1. Replace the motor with a single phase unit.
2. Run the existing unit through a rotary phase converter.
3. Run the existing unit through a static phase converter.
There's also a "VFD" option but I don't know much about it.

I chose #3 for my machine shop style mill & lathe. It was the cheapest, easiest way to get my machines up & running. I’ve used this setup for many years now, without any problems.

Jim Becker
02-24-2007, 9:19 PM
Wow....a wee bit 'o iron there, Kurt!! Congrats!

lou sansone
02-24-2007, 9:38 PM

I chose #3 for my machine shop style mill & lathe. It was the cheapest, easiest way to get my machines up & running. I’ve used this setup for many years now, without any problems.

I agree with bruce... keep the motor and get a converter
lou

Charles McKinley
02-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Hi Kurt,

If a static converter will start it that would be the cheapest way to go and you could hook it to another piece of equipment IF it was also compatabile. Since you said you were starting a milling business a rotary converter would open a lot of possibilities as ther are a lot of great three phase machines out there that sell for much less than single phase machines because people cannot power them.

Do some research and make what you believe to be your best decision.

John Renzetti
02-25-2007, 9:15 AM
Hi That's a real nice score, and you can't beat the price. I think your best option is the rotary phase converter. The VFD will work but the downside will be the cost (probably in the $1k range) and you'll be limited to running that one machine. A big static might work but you'll end up derating the motor. Statics work fine with smaller motors but a big 7.5hp 3ph really should have utility 3ph or a rotary. (there's phase perfect also but that will set you back about $3k+).
The upside also of the rotary will be that you'll be able to use it to power other three phase machines which I'm sure you'll acquire once you get this baby up and running.
Look around for a decent used rotary. I like the Kay Phasemaster and I'm running two of them in my shop. I've seen the MA1B that starts a 7.5hp motor go for about $750 used.
take care,
John

Kurt Rosenzweig
02-25-2007, 9:17 AM
Thanks guys. You really cleared it up for me. I'll probably go with the static converter for now.:D

Tim Malyszko
02-25-2007, 9:39 AM
Now that's one iron beast. Congratulations on that find and best of luck converting it to single phase.

Richard Keller
02-25-2007, 9:43 AM

I don't think you can get a VFD for 7.5HP in single phase. Number 2 is an option, but most likely #1 is the cheapest. Not sure what is available in your area, but around here, a 10 HP rotary phase converter goes for about 1500 (CDN$) a 7.5 HP motor goes for about 1000 for a quality one, or less for a hardware store brand.

Richard.

Bruce Page
02-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Kurt, you can order a Phase-A-Matic static converter from the manufacture sized for your machine for $240.00 (PAM-900HD). I have a 2hp turret milling machine & 5hp engine lathe that I run off a single PAM-600HD.

http://www.phase-a-matic.com/StaticModels&Prices.htm#HEAVY%20DUTY

Eric Wong
02-25-2007, 12:22 PM
Sweet! Nothin' quite like free heavy metal!

Greg Funk
02-25-2007, 1:06 PM
Nice find. If you're going to use this for business and want the motor to run at rated power then I think you need a rotary converter. Most of the static converters will only allow the motor to run at 2/3 rated power.

Greg

Michael Gibbons
02-25-2007, 5:26 PM
I'd paint it Delta gray!:D :rolleyes: