PDA

View Full Version : Buying Benchtop Table Saw

Alan Tolchinsky
02-24-2007, 11:13 AM
Hi Guys,
I'm looking for one of these. Do you have to buy the $500 Bosch to get a good one? That's out of my price range so I'm asking for recommendations. I want a decent fence that stays locked if that's possible. I won't be moving this around and it will stay in my garage all the time.

I've seen a Jet table top for around $200 on Amazon. Anybody have this one or any other one they like?

Corey Hallagan
02-24-2007, 12:16 PM
I like what I have seen of the Ridgid job site saw. I see it being used all the time on the trade shows. Take a look at it in a store and keep in mind with all of these tools at the Home Centers.... usually an employee who knows nothing about the tools is assembling them so sometimes they are not presented the best. The Dewalt, Porter Cable and Bosch seem to the the creme of the crop on portables but the price tag is in the 500. range.

Corey

Dewayne Reding
02-24-2007, 1:04 PM
Alan

I do not recommend any benchtop saw. But if you need the portability, I do recommend my Dewalt DW744. It has a rack and pinion fence that adjusts with a twist of the wrist. Fence is FAR better than what I saw on competing models. Scale is pretty easy to read. It cuts small things very accurately and is extremely handy.

Now throw a piece of plywood or a long 2x6. Different story. I hate it for big things. The table is just too small. I bought it refurb but it looks like brand new. Had a little scuff on arrival. I called Dewalt and they sent out a new part immediately. Didn't even ask for proof I bought any product. Think I paid under $250 last fall on Amazon. Much more expensive locally.

glenn bradley
02-24-2007, 1:28 PM
Of course, what you don't want to hear; no benchtop tablesaw is the best choice. If you are looking at the 'good' ones you realize they're expensive. I'll assume a contractors saw that would be better and cheaper just isn't an option. So, if I had to I'd go with the unit with the best fence as most other attributes will be somewhat equal. Probably the DeWalt or the Bosch. A guided circular saw system might be the answer if this is a space issue.

Alan Tolchinsky
02-24-2007, 10:40 PM
I think from your recommendations I'll stick to a used CS. A sloppy fence and small table top would drive me nuts so I'm checking local ads and Craigs for used saws. Thanks for all the great advise.

Brian Hale
02-25-2007, 6:46 AM
There's a Makita portable saw for sale in Middle River, $100.00

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/tls/283298125.html

Don't know anything about, just doing my morning cruse and came across it......

Brian :)

scott spencer
02-25-2007, 7:51 AM
None of them offer what a good stationary saw does, but if you need the portability there are some always seem to rate high....the Bosch, DW, Ridgid, and PC come to mind. I think there's a new Craftsman 21289 that's a Ryobi BT-3100 clone on a wheels that rolls up out of the way.

I don't know anything about the Jet benchtop, but they do have a new 708100 hybrid that's been on sale for $399.99. It's a little bigger than most portables but might be a nice compromise.