PDA

View Full Version : New Engraver From Universal

Lorin Clinger
02-24-2007, 8:32 AM
Just went to Universals web site and they have a new series of lasers out. Must have announced them at the show in Vegas. It looks a lot like the Epilog Legend EXT. I'm downloading the brochure now. Just when I thought I knew which laser to buy Universal muddies the waters again.:D

Scott Winstead
02-24-2007, 9:27 AM
Lorin,
There are a lot of folks on this forum with Universal Lasers ... I researched all of the lasers very carefully. I also have a good friend with a business that uses three ULS machines so I could compare notes with him on high volume usage. Good luck with the hunt - please make sure to look at all aspects of the total cost/life of your laser (CO2 tubes, maintenance, machine cost, etc.) before you make a decision.

IMHO, it's not the tool that is differentiator with other small businesses, it's your marketing savvy and skill with the designs (CorelDraw) that will set you apart.
Scott

Neal Schlee
02-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Looks like their X machine platform with a new materials based driver.

We've had a X-2 660 120 watt Superspeed for almost a year and it is well engineered a very good machine. We run it 6-8 hours daily, mostly deep raster engraving in wood with some cutting. Have only had to replaced the idler bearing on the X belt. Called ULS and had the warranty parts in 2 days (we're in Alaska), excellent service.:)

We also have an Epilog, the ULS is much simpler, easier to maintain and work on, and engraves and cuts with excellent detail. With a little web research some of the ULS parts, like bearings, belts, stepper motors can be purchased off the shelf from other sources if needed, no such luck with the Epilog and they are very proud of their replacement parts prices.:eek:

Some advice for new machine purchasers, press the factory hard for paying little or nothing for any accessories.

Neal

Dave Jones
02-24-2007, 5:04 PM
I'm not sure what the X2 uses, but it sounds like the new ULS ones are now using sealed linear bearings, like Epilog has been using.

Neal Schlee
02-25-2007, 2:14 PM
The pic on their website of the new machine shows the same 3 bearing head arrangement as the older machines. Not sure of the other changes if any.

Neal

Mike Mackenzie
02-26-2007, 6:28 PM
The new system has a multitude of new features. The system I am assuming you are all talking about is the ILS models. Universal introduced two new models at the LV show one being the PLS and the ILS.

The first systems "PLS" models are basically a face lift of our existing models with some added features including new drivers, new rohs compliant electronics and smart tube technology.

The ILS system has a number of really exciting new features. One being a left to right pass through. We are now capable of a 24" pass through this feature is unlike any other pass through feature due to the safety features that are added to the system the system still remains a class 4 enclosure where as all other pass through systems are considered class 5 and then need safety restrictions on the room or building that it operates in.

All of the new systems have heat detectors built into them as well as tempered glass windows. This was done to reduce damage in the case of fires. If the temp inside raises above a certain temp an alarm will sound warning you of a potential problem.

They also introduced a single 75 watt laser tube with SMART tube technology built into it. There are way to many things to go into in regards to how it works but just a few things are when a tube is plugged into the system it will automatically recognize what laser power it is. They also have upgrade options to 150 watts. This is a snap on option that can be done in the field. The tubes also have diagnostics built into them that will protect them from heat, cold, and electrical situations. These are things that can damage a laser tube.

The systems use new drivers now that will do the best of both they have a materials based driver and the capability of the advanced driver. You will be able to just choose the materials based driver and go and all of the settings are done for you then if you choose you can tab over to the more advanced driver and really fine tune the settings. You will then be able to add materials to your materials based driver for future use. The drivers work with the smart technology of the laser tubes so if you plug in a 40 watt tube the database is adjusted to that laser power then if you add another 40 watt tube it will now adjust to 80 watts automatically.

The ILS systems use an Encoded stepper motor the best of both motors servos and steppers. What this does is to give us fast and very accurate engraving, cutting, and marking with less servo motor failures and encoder strip problems.

There are many more features like snap on superspeed, job time estimator,motion system protection, auto detection of accessories and lasers, traveling exhaust system, cross platform compatibility, fully field upgradeable, easy maintenance, ROHS compliant, and many more including an embedded PC, and an automation board that is optional. as well as all of the standard features.

The ILS systems come in sizes 24x36, 24x24 and 24x48 in laser powers from 25 to 150 watts.