PDA

View Full Version : If the Jet Tormek was too expensive, try the Harbor Freight knockoff

Sam Shank
02-24-2007, 8:27 AM
Others knockoffs can't be far behind now... Grizzly, etc...

see item number 95526-OHSH

I didn't look it up online, but I saw it in the new catalog that came yesterday. Pg 46.

Jeffrey Schronce
02-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Is this what you are talking about . . . . .

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=33867

Randal Stevenson
02-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Others knockoffs can't be far behind now... Grizzly, etc...

see item number 95526-OHSH

I didn't look it up online, but I saw it in the new catalog that came yesterday. Pg 46.

That number online comes up:
95526 The Specifications for this item are not currently available online, or the item has been discontinued

Wonder if Tormek or Jet threatened to sue.

Pete Brown
02-24-2007, 10:27 AM
That number online comes up:
95526 The Specifications for this item are not currently available online, or the item has been discontinued
Wonder if Tormek or Jet threatened to sue.

Came up for me. May have just been a bug

Pete

Edit: I went by the link. Indeed it does not come up by item number. The link points to a sharpener that doesn't really resemble the Tormek

John Bush
02-24-2007, 10:33 AM
That looks similar to the Delta wet wheel system. Don't recall the mod. #, but same style. I have found the horizontal wet wheel soft and difficult to keep the edges of the blades perpendicular, and I would scary-sharp for finish anyway. This would be OK for turning tools, but save your $$$ if you want easy, predictable flat tool sharpening. JCB.

Joe Branch
02-24-2007, 11:17 AM
It doesn't look bad, item #33867. I'll wait until I see it in the local store before I purchase it. Maybe I'll save another 15-20% with a coupon.:D $85 dollars for a tool that can resharpen my jointer and planer blades, whoopie!:)

Terry Bigelow
02-24-2007, 11:29 AM
As John said, it's actually a "knock-off" of Delta's horizontal wet wheel sharpener. I own the Delta version myself and I am looking to get rid of it. The set-up time is just too long for me and as John also pointed out it's difficult to get perpendicular edges. Maybe it's just me but I'll stick to my water stones, they're still faster!

Doug Shepard
02-24-2007, 11:32 AM
As John said, it's actually a "knock-off" of Delta's horizontal wet wheel sharpener. I own the Delta version myself and I am looking to get rid of it. The set-up time is just too long for me and as John also pointed out it's difficult to get perpendicular edges. Maybe it's just me but I'll stick to my water stones, they're still faster!

I just sold my Delta version about 3-4 weeks ago. Didn't find it all that useful either.

Steve LaFara
02-25-2007, 9:14 PM
Bought the Delta version about a year ago and tool it back after about an hour of frustration. Don't waste your money. Better to put a little away each month and get the real deal! Don't eat lunch for about 30 days and you've got what you need..............and lost a few pounds doing it!:D

Sam Shank
02-26-2007, 5:44 AM
Now that I've had time to see it online, it does look like the delta. In the catalog it looked more like the tormek...

Sam Shank
03-01-2007, 10:40 AM
I had to look again at my catalog... and it really does look like a tormek, and not the delta linked above. If you key that item in to hf.com it comes up item not listed.

It could be a catalog only item right now. I think we saw that with the bessey knock offs a few months ago. I'm telling you, it looks like HF has a tormek knockoff.

In the photo of the catalog, it has the tormek 'bar' and it shows a guy sharpening a kitchen butcher's knife with the 'knife jig' that looks almost identical to the jig I have for my tormek.

It says it's an 8" wheel, though. I know the tormek is 10.

Jim Young
03-01-2007, 3:54 PM
Maybe its a Steppach knock off.

Jerry Evans
03-01-2007, 4:08 PM
I just used the link above and the picture is online...

Carlo Petrilli
03-01-2007, 4:19 PM
The following is the actual link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95236

Sam Shank
03-02-2007, 11:29 AM
There we go... thanks for the link Jeffrey. I knew I wasn't going crazy.