PDA

View Full Version : Mahogany Jewlery Box

Julie Wright
12-08-2003, 1:02 PM
Well, on to the next present. I am looking ahead. What would you all suggest as a finish for a mahogany jewlery box?
THanks in advance.. :)

Sparky Paessler
12-08-2003, 2:21 PM
Well, on to the next present. I am looking ahead. What would you all suggest as a finish for a mahogany jewlery box?
THanks in advance.. :)

Julie

I made several walnut boxes for Christmas last year and did a wipe on finish that I read about on Fine Woodworking's site. It came out very nice and was fast and easy. Here's the link

www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00117.asp

Sparky Paessler

Todd Burch
12-08-2003, 6:52 PM
Well Julie, that depends!

If the grain and color of the mahogany was nice looking, and the box was built in such as way as to emphasize these things, then I would not use a stain, but an oil, and then I would topcoat with a fast drying lacquer. Another reason to go "au-natural" would be to show off your joinery, unless it is doesn't really make a statement.

However, sometimes grain lines don't look so good around corners or at joints, so then I would probably opt for a darker, traditional mahogany stain, followed up by a fast drying lacquer.

I haven't done this yet, but I will as soon as I figure out a decent wood-filler "system" I will give it a try, but filling the pores on mahogany dramatically enhances the look and feel of mahogany items.

Todd.