PDA

View Full Version : New Makita arrived

Jim Dunn
02-23-2007, 11:07 PM
:D:DMy new saw arrived today just 4days from order to the door. I am very happy and have placed it in it's new home. The older Srs mitre saw may have taken up less room but I think this one will cut circles around it, literally.

I am also going to have to completely rebuild my material support/stop but it will be easier with a larger saw. That's it on the left of the saw in the second pic.

:(I do have a complaint though. The clamp and pin aren't supplied but the instruction manual says they are. Did anyone else get the clamp and or the pin for the clamp?

Mike Langford
02-23-2007, 11:42 PM
Hello Jim,
When you say "clamp and pin" do you mean the hold-down and treaded knob that locks it in place?
If so then I've got a hold down I send you fer nuttin'. I'll take and post some pics tomorrow so you can see if its what you need.

The hold-down I have is mounted on a 5/8" or 3/4" dia. metal post (I'll measure tomorrow to make sure) I don't have the lock knob but you can probably find a bolt lying around your shop to bolt it down with....You'll still be able to position the hold-down because it clamps to the metal post.

The hold-down is painted Makita beige so it'll probably fit your saw.....I bought it last year at a flea market (for 50 cents :eek: ) and thought I could make it work somewhere around the shop but it has wound up just being in my way. So if you can use it I'll be glad to send it to you (and get it outta my way....;) )

Don Bullock
02-23-2007, 11:46 PM
Congratulations Jim. That's a great saw.

Mike Langford
02-24-2007, 12:02 AM
Jim,
Checkout the picture I "borrowed" from on-line.....

Mine looks like that except it comes out straight instead of humped. (I think it'll still work)

Oh.....Congrats on your new toy!

Gary Herrmann
02-24-2007, 6:25 AM
Well aren't you buying the toys lately. Congrats on the new saw. They sure do make life easier.

fred woltersdorf
02-24-2007, 6:56 AM
:(I do have a complaint though. The clamp and pin aren't supplied but the instruction manual says they are. Did anyone else get the clamp and or the pin for the clamp?

jim, i've got one i that came with my saw but i never use it, too awkward.

Jim Dunn
02-24-2007, 7:32 AM
Well aren't you buying the toys lately. Congrats on the new saw. They sure do make life easier.

How could I not pass up this saw. I actually built my mitre station kinda around this particular saw and just never bought it till now. Woulda been easier to wait but at least I got a lot of use outa that old sears.

Brice Burrell
02-24-2007, 8:26 AM

Jim the 12" does, or is supposed to come with the hold down, the 10" doesn't. I have this saw pick it up on Amazon last year when thay had a great deal, it's a nice tool.

Jeff Kerr
02-24-2007, 8:32 AM
Jim,

Did you order from Amazon? And if so, did you upgrade shipping? I ordered mine this week as well with standard shipping and I have a ship date of MArch 21-April 17. :eek:

Jim Dunn
02-24-2007, 8:51 AM
Jim,

Did you order from Amazon? And if so, did you upgrade shipping? I ordered mine this week as well with standard shipping and I have a ship date of MArch 21-April 17. :eek:
Jeff I did order from Amazon from a thread on this forum that alerted us to a special discount of $100:eek: Total cost with standard shipping $375.50:D That a good deal in my opinion and SWMBO's:o I almost forgot you also can get a free jobsite radio with the appropriate rebate coupon. It's also listed on the thread about the saw. (Maybe somebody can link Jeff to that thread as I really don't know how)

Mike Goetzke
02-24-2007, 9:29 AM
Jim - I got the 12" and it came with the clamp (see photo). I had a 2-year old Craftsman 12" single-bevel slider that I got a good price on but, like you (and many others), couldn't pass this deal up. The 12" has a rebate for a 2-battery Li Ion Drill.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Makita%20SCMS/th_IMG_0763_1_1.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Makita%20SCMS/IMG_0763_1_1.jpg)

Mike

Jim Dunn
02-24-2007, 9:34 AM
Mike can you tell me what the two plastic plugs are for. Couldn't find them in the manual.

Jeff Kerr
02-24-2007, 9:38 AM
Thanks Jim,

Itoo ordered based off the thread here on SMC. I also went with the 12". Fits my motto of "go big or stay home". :D Just kidding.

My guess is that thanks to SMC and the great folks here, Amazon sold a boatload of both the 10" and 12". Mine is backordered a good month. My hope is that they will get caught up much faster.

Is anyone else waiting til mid-March or later for their Amazon order?

Brice Burrell
02-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Mike can you tell me what the two plastic plugs are for. Couldn't find them in the manual.

Jim, two extra trigger lock out buttons?

Mike Langford
02-24-2007, 2:38 PM
Jim,
Here's a picture of the clamp.....I've sent you a reply PM.

Mike Langford
02-24-2007, 2:57 PM
I was just looking at Mike Goetzke's picture of his saw and happen to notice the box in the background and the big sticker that says "INCLUDES Flexible LAMP"

His saw is a Laser equipped saw so........What's the lamp for? :D
....To see if the blade is turning????:confused:

That just hit me as funny.....We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic. :)

Jim Dunn
02-24-2007, 3:30 PM
Mine has a lamp too. You can't have too much lite as you pass 50:eek::o I need lite to see if my lites are working sometime:rolleyes:

Really it doesn't seem to bother the lazer at all as it's not that bright.

Mike Langford
02-24-2007, 5:24 PM
I know what you mean....I'm a few notches passed 50 myself.

I'm just always amazed and amused at the gadgets and add-ons and such the tool mfr. come up with to snag our money. Like cases....I've got a cabinet full of empty cases!

About the only tool I keep in it's case is my PC reciprocating saw because I only need it when I'm building fine furniture!!:eek: :D

Stan Welborn
02-24-2007, 6:35 PM
I know what you mean....I'm a few notches passed 50 myself.

I'm just always amazed and amused at the gadgets and add-ons and such the tool mfr. come up with to snag our money. Like cases....I've got a cabinet full of empty cases!

About the only tool I keep in it's case is my PC reciprocating saw because I only need it when I'm building fine furniture!!:eek: :D

When the deal was on I got one of the flexible lamp saws too. It was three bucks cheaper than the deal with the one without the lamp.:confused: