PDA

View Full Version : Router mounted under table saw extention

Gene Hastey
02-23-2007, 11:03 PM
I an considering mounting a router in my table saw extention. I have a Bosch router and a Bosch table insert that I had planned to build a router table for.as I am space limited.

Is this a stupid idea:confused:? A workable solution:rolleyes:? Or What!!!! If it is feasible what are the pitfalls, installation hints, dos and don'ts? Is there an article/example somewhere?

Thanks

;)People are just about as happy as they decide to be.:)

glenn bradley
02-23-2007, 11:10 PM
You will find many people here who have extension mounted routers; right and left side. I'm a lefty as my shop layout works best this way. Some folks mount on the right and feed the material standing in front of the saw as if sawing v.s. facing the router fence as I prefer. that is all personal preference but, adding a router in an extension is definitely do-able and preferred by many.

Steve Clardy
02-23-2007, 11:14 PM
Lots of people do mount them on their table saws.

I have one, though usually it isn't in there. Just a spare hole to drop a router and plate in there when I don't want to change a bit in another router table.

J D Thomas
02-24-2007, 9:43 AM
I went thru this same decision process about 3 years ago. The consensus I got then was about 50/50 and I opted to go ahead and put my router table in the extension. I like the fact that it does utilize existing space and I built an enclosure with storage and dust collection underneath. Some day I might build a free-standing model, at which point, I'll just have two. I like having it right there. My only problem with it is that I continually have to clear things away to make room to use it! But I bet I'm not the only one with that problem!

Jim Becker
02-24-2007, 9:59 AM
It works for some folks and not for others. The space around the saw also makes a difference. If you use an overarm blade guard that will also affect your choice.

I've generally been more in favor of a separate router table setup all along...it does the routing job very well and also can double and triple as extra infeed/outfeed space as well as additional assembly space. That said, I'm working on a router/shaper station on my new sliding saw to take advantage of the slider's wagon when using the router...something I cannot do with the stand alone station. I'm still debating on whether I'll keep the stand alone setup or sell it once the new setup is available for use.

Eric Wong
02-24-2007, 10:06 AM
I have my router mounted in the right hand extension wing. It works OK for me, but I wish I had the space for a dedicated router table. One of the big advantages is that you can use your table saw fence with your router table. I have an auxillary fence for the router table that clamps to the table saw fence. But I'm sure some people wouldn't like that setup since you can't just tap one end of the fence to change the distance from the bit. You have to unlock the fence and nudge the whole thing just like you do with the table saw.

Another consideration is, of course, where you keep your table saw. If you keep one end against a wall, you would probably want your router table at the other end so you don't have to move the saw to use the router table.

scott spencer
02-24-2007, 10:37 AM
It's a great space saver for a small shop IMO. The downfalls are usually that dust collection isn't as good, can be more limiting in size, have less storage, and can impede some access to the saw. Neither has been much of an issue so far.

I mounted mine on the right side, and built a cabinet underneath to help with the DC and storage. If my shop was large I'd probably prefer an independent table, but I'm not finding this setup to much of a compromise at all.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/RT/NRT3.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/RT/1b84239e.jpg

Jim Becker
02-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Scott, I like how you did that radius on the table for more comfortable access when routing. Very nice!

Ted Miller
02-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Nice job Scott, I am having this problem myself right now, no room for my free standing router table, TS my be my only choice in this new shop...

Bruce Page
02-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Gene,
I have one on my extension wing. I was worried that the weight of the router would warp the table so I added several reinforcing ribs under the table to stiffen it up. I also mounted a box under it with a port for the DC.
I would rather have a stand alone table like Norms but like you, I’m space limited.
I also have the Deluxe Wood Haven router fence that I am very happy with.

Scott, that's a sweet looking setup you have!

glenn bradley
02-24-2007, 2:37 PM
I sorta did both with a lot of inspriation from Scott and others here.