PDA

View Full Version : A couple of small LV tool reviews.

Brian Penning
02-23-2007, 8:01 PM
1. Tried out a new plug cutter from LV. Previously I've used the tapered plug cutters from Vermont American(?) but they were recently burning the wood and I had to start pressing pretty hard to get them to work.
These pronged styled cutters are great. Fast and smooth and they might have a bit more taper than the other ones -they were easy to get started in the holes. Another plus is they can be sharpened.
Only negative might be that they cut a much larger hole than the other style so there`s more waste.
http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/drilling/05j0501s2b.jpg

2. Other little "tool" was these contour sanders. Bought all 3 types and Ì've been using them in several areas of my under construction rocker. Very handy to continue the radius`s of routed sections and to get into corners.
They also came with some flexible pads that I haven't tried yet.
Anyway these pads are definite keepers also.
http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/sandingshaping/68z8201-dsp.jpg

Jim Becker
02-23-2007, 8:05 PM
The Lee Valley plug cutters are really nice...the end results work well, too.

Please let us know how you like the contour sanders after you've used them for awhile...they look like a very handy thing to have in the shop.

Philip DiPaolo
02-23-2007, 10:12 PM
hi --
i saw these contour sanding aids recently -- great idea -- and then i realized they look a lot like the rubber attachments for the porter cable 444 profile sander. are they basically the same animal?

glenn bradley
02-23-2007, 11:18 PM
I've had the contour sanding pads for awhile and must say that for the reasonable price (full set of 15 = $12.50) they are head and shoulders above shaping your own or using something that sorta-works.

jonathan snyder
02-23-2007, 11:26 PM
I also have the contour sanders, they work great for mouldings and profiled edges.

Jonathan

Don Bullock
02-23-2007, 11:54 PM
Brian, thanks for the reviews. I thought those contour sanders looked interesting and will be interested in reading more reviews on them. As for the plug cutters, I hadn't noticed the difference in those until you pointed it out. That's good to know. I only have one plug cutter that belonged to my day many years ago. I don't even know if it still cuts plugs. I'll keep those in mind when I have a project that requires plugs.