PDA

View Full Version : What is the best router lift?

Mark Saberniak
02-23-2007, 2:35 PM
I am considering using my table saw extension as a router table also. I am looking for a router lift. I have considered Incra Master Lift, Jessem Lift and heard about Jointech. Any advice on using the saw table extension, or which lift to get would help. Thanks

glenn bradley
02-23-2007, 2:52 PM
Boy if there is one answer for that I'd like to know it. Woodpecker's PRL gets rave reviews and has less deflection than the side-mount-only guide rail set ups.

I'm not familiar with the Incra but the Jessem's get good reviews as well. The PRL and the Bench Dog are more massive if you are going to be running a Milwaukee 6525 or some other monster.

I'm sure many owners will chime in. All seem to favor the one they picked which is probably why they picked it since the good ones are all about the same price more or less. Happy hunting and let us know what you decide ;-)

wayne ateser
02-23-2007, 3:19 PM
The adjustment that comes with the plunge router is the perfect choice....and best of all......its free.

Matt Donohue
02-23-2007, 3:24 PM
I've been using a Jessem FX with a Dewalt 2 1/4 hp (DW 618) router for a couple of years. The FX is make for the 2 hp class routers. Jessem also makes a lift for the 3hp version also. I have the Jessem in a Rockler router table top I modified to fit the Jessem. The Jessem FX is very accurate and makes setup and repeating measurements a breeze. :D Check Amazon. They have pretty good prices for lists. I never thought I'd need a lift until I tried one. Now I would not be without.

Jim Tobias
02-23-2007, 3:30 PM
Glenn is right, most will sing the praises of the one they bought, and I am no different. I bought the massive Bench Dog and put the big PC router in it 2 years ago and have done nothing to it but use it. I liken the Bench Dog to the "old iron" that you hear so many speck of on this forum. It cannot be toom heavy when it comes to stopping vibration, etc. It adjusts very easily with a speed wrench and should easily outlast me.

Jim

Benjamin Dahl
02-23-2007, 4:08 PM
I bought the woodpecker quick lift and have been happy with it. the people at woodpecker were very friendly and helpful in answering questions.

Mike Heidrick
02-23-2007, 6:01 PM
I am considering using my table saw extension as a router table also. I am looking for a router lift. I have considered Incra Master Lift, Jessem Lift and heard about Jointech. Any advice on using the saw table extension, or which lift to get would help. Thanks

I love my Woodpecker PRL. It was in my Delta saw and is now in my RouterStop.

Jim Becker
02-23-2007, 6:04 PM
The question cannot be answered without knowing what the intended router to be used is and the router table stop also needs to be of consideration if it's a commercial top. I think that the BenchDog cast iron lift is the best engineered...it's the perfect match for the PC7518 motor or similar motors. (smaller can be used with adapters) The new one from Jointech (I think) with the digital readout is an interesting product and Jessem's Mast-R-Lift is nicely made. The PRL from Woodpeckers is a perennial favorite. IE...these are all good lifts for folks wanting to mount a router motor like the PC.

Complicating (or maybe simplifying) things is the current trend of the big and mid-range plunge routers having integral above-table height adjustment. With those, you don't need a special lift...just a good, sturdy router table insert with insert rings to properly and safely size the opening for cutter being used.

You want the premo solution for your table saw? Bench Dog's cast iron extension with with or without their lift, depending on the target router. (The table comes with a nice split face fence and a standard insert pre-drilled for many routers)

Bob Michaels
02-23-2007, 6:41 PM
Jontech Smartlift Digital, especially when used with the Jointech Cabinetmaker fence system and their phenolic top, I find it hard to beat for precision and repeatability. The lift is direct drive, no pulleys, etc., so you get no backlash. I am also impressed with the ruggedness of this equipment.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-23-2007, 7:28 PM
The one that works.

James Rowe
02-23-2007, 9:15 PM
Jointech Smartlift Digital, especially when used with the Jointech Cabinetmaker fence system and their phenolic top, I find it hard to beat for precision and repeatability. The lift is direct drive, no pulleys, etc., so you get no backlash. I am also impressed with the ruggedness of this equipment.

I have had the Jointech Smartlift digital (with PC router) and with the Cabinetmaker fence for about 6 months. Just a hobbist but like the system and Jointech folks have been very helpful. Like everyone said....can only comment on what I have but have no regrets on purchasing the system although my frame of reference is limited.

Justin Dreier
02-23-2007, 9:58 PM
Mark - I added a router table to the right wing of my TS. I ended up going with the Jessem Router Lift FX. I picked it up online for $159 at the time. I have a Bosch 1617EVS and this lift works great for that. Easy and accurate adjustments. The FX is a sturdy and qaulity unit through and through.

Best of luck.

Greg Ladd
02-24-2007, 6:34 AM
I second what has been said about the Bench Dog cast iron lift. Built like a tank and well engineered. Certainly no electronics to fail down the road; just simple solid construction.

I cannot comment on any other brands. I am a believer in the weight and vibration damping advantages of cast iron though.

I recently purchased one on Amazon.com for roughly $240.00 after a 20% off discount they had of some variety.

Greg Ladd

Mike Goetzke
02-24-2007, 9:36 AM
I bought the Woodpecker's Quick Lift. It's the best of both worlds - speed, and precision. I put a Milwaukee 5625 in it and love the combo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Unisaw%20Cabinet/th_IMG_0723_4_1.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Unisaw%20Cabinet/IMG_0723_4_1.jpg)

J D Thomas
02-24-2007, 9:39 AM
I agree that most will voice their nod towards the one they bought. Why not. To that end, I have the SmartLift Digital as well and I love it. It's very accurate and its repeatabilithy is most convenient. Albeit pricey. But they had a sale last year and might again.

glenn bradley
02-24-2007, 2:42 PM
Mike,

Do you use bent wrenches for bit changes above the table?

Dave Hale
02-24-2007, 3:16 PM
I've got the Woodpecker's Quicklift and have no issues with it. Remove the insert and, at least with the Dewalt 618, everything comes up above the table for changing bits. Lock, collet, all of it. Straight wrench.

Dale Sudhoff
02-24-2007, 5:26 PM
I've been using the bit jack from Lee Valley for several years now. Excellent quality, customer service, and price. Last one I bought cost $75. Height adjustment is easy and fast. Also has a micro-adjustment knob. Check out Lee Valley.com

Dale

Mike Goetzke
02-24-2007, 6:33 PM
Mike,

Do you use bent wrenches for bit changes above the table?

No, the QL allows above table bit changes w/o a bent wrench.