PDA

View Full Version : Finishing questions.

Tony Sade
12-08-2003, 6:13 AM
I am finishing a white oak mission style table that was stained with a gilsonite-based wiping varnish from SW, thinned 50-50 with mineral spirits. For a top coat I'm using a 50-50 Minwax clear gloss/naptha mix.

1. How long can I wait between coats without having to sand between coats? I put on three coats today and I'd like to add a few more, several more to the top, but I won't be able to get to it until tomorrow-morning, noon, and night.

2. How long should I let the finish cure before I rub it out with wax and steel wool or a fine abrasive pad?

Thanks for your help and Happy Holidays! Tony

Jim Becker
12-08-2003, 9:34 AM
Finishing pro Jim Kull (who has been writing finishing articles for WOOD Magazine)suggests the "finger-tip" test...if your finger tip can touch the finish and not stick, you can re-coat. You want to do it just after it stops being tacky.

Ron Meadows
12-08-2003, 12:55 PM
Tony,

As cold as it is up there in WV, unless you have your shop heated 24/7, I'd wait for at least a week or 10 days before trying to steel wool/smooth the finish. Cold temps really draw out the cure time for poly.

Ron

Alan Turner
12-08-2003, 2:13 PM
Assuming that the minwax is a varnish product, then I would think that about 2 weeks, even in a warm shop, would be neded for the varnish to develop full hardness, which is needed for a good rub-out.
Alan