PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes you just want to kill 'em

Belinda Barfield
02-23-2007, 1:07 PM
So I'm tellin' my honey how I just LOVE the Creek, why I'm basically addicted to it. I just know if I don't read every post I'm going to miss valuable into/insight, a hysterical comment, or a great photo.

I mention to him that I wish I could give turning a try, since it seems fun, challenging, and y'all produce such beautiful work. I casually point out that I can't really afford a lathe right now, and he didn't get me a B-day present (day B-4 Valentine's), or a Valentine's present. (He is currently building a new dog house size 6'2, 210.) His reply is "Really, I just gave a lathe away right before Christmas, never been used." To which I reply "WHAT?!?!?" He says "Yep, when I cleaned out my workshop back home my stepdad said he wanted it. I gave it to him and he sold it for $100.00." So he gave away a perfectly good lathe, but brought me his grandmother's mismatched, cracked and chipped circa 1970's coffee mugs, and washtub full of miscellaneous wrenches, sockets, screwdrives, nuts, bolts, and cassette tapes - circa 1970s, too.

I think I'll keep him.

Al Willits
02-23-2007, 1:57 PM
""""""""
Sometimes you just want to kill 'em
"""""""""

Must be a woman thing...Beasty says the same thing at times.....:D :D

Wouldn't life be boring though, if we all behaved???:D

Al

Ken Fitzgerald
02-23-2007, 1:59 PM
I'd suggest taking the value of his life insurance and subtract any burial expenses.....then see if the difference will support the addiction ....before doing anything rash.....:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Rich Stewart
02-23-2007, 2:12 PM
Whip out that credit card!!! That's what they are for. A year from now you while you're happily turning away, you (or him) won't even remember the money part of it. You CAN turn fairly cheaply despite what all you've heard. Little by little. Just do it.

David Epperson
02-23-2007, 2:35 PM
Whip out that credit card!!!
Yep. Only 3-1/2" long, yet it will satisfy almost any woman. :D

Belinda Barfield
02-23-2007, 2:56 PM
Well Ken, I took your advice. Life insurance less burial expenses leaves me with $3.52.

Anybody got a small spot of land, maybe deep in the woods? That might help with expenses. Oh, and will you take plastic? :D

Jim Young
02-23-2007, 3:46 PM
Anybody got a small spot of land, maybe deep in the woods? May I suggest kiln drying him? Saves alot of space.

Ken Werner
02-24-2007, 8:20 PM
B-

maybe you misunderstood him - didn't he say he gave away a perfectly good latte?

Ken

Steve Clardy
02-24-2007, 8:31 PM
I'll take that $3.52 and you can bury him here. I got woods:cool:

I'm not gonna help though.:o If the sheriff finds out-----:eek: ;) :D

Per Swenson
02-24-2007, 8:45 PM
Awe you Fellas ain't right.

Our job should be to inspire family harmony.

Belinda, go get yer hubby, I wanna have a word with him.

Its OK I'll wait. Got 'em? Good.

Mr. Williamson,

Belinda, this is between us guys, excuse us for a moment.

Ok, Mr Williamson, do you really want to hear this stuff

for the next 20 years? Every Family gathering? All of yer Buddies?

He did what? So do this ........

Go buy her a brand spanking new lathe on Monday.

Then everything will work out fine.

Trust me.

Per

Steve Clardy
02-24-2007, 8:48 PM

Mr. Williamson,

Trust me.

Per

Good one Per :D :D :D

Belinda Barfield
02-25-2007, 9:40 AM
Ken,

I'm pretty sure a latte has never crossed his lips, and he dang sure wouldn't have described it as "perfectly good". I relatively certain he said lathe. :>)

Belinda Barfield
02-25-2007, 9:42 AM
I'll get back to you. I'm thinking of upping his life insurance just in case, but I'll keep him around for now. Got a new sherriff in town and can't be too careful.

Belinda Barfield
02-25-2007, 9:46 AM
Per,

Shared you post with my honey. He seems confused. Says he has never heard of a woman that just wouldn't let you forget something like that!!:D :D I helped him paint the porch this weekend so we had lots of time to talk about all the things he's going to do to make this up to me. I think I got a trip to Vegas out of it, so life ain't so bad!!;)

Mark Pruitt
02-25-2007, 10:01 AM
A trip to Vegas might be nice, but that ain't no Lathe!:mad:

C'mon, Mr. W, Per Swenson said it plain 'n clear! Fork up!:rolleyes: :p :D

Michael Gibbons
02-25-2007, 5:50 PM
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but when you get home you want a new lathe!

Belinda Barfield
02-26-2007, 7:35 AM
You guys are right, a trip to Vegas ain't no lathe. However, I always win money when we go to Vegas, so he's thinkin' I'll win enough money to buy it myself.

In all seriousness, I do want to try turning, but can't take on any toys/projects right now. Got to get the laser off the ground first. A lathe will be a purchase hopefully towards the end of the summer, so I'll be seeking lots of advice. Just thought it was sort of ironic that he just gave a lathe away about the time I got interested in getting one.

Hopin' your Monday ain't a MONDAY! :)

Bart Leetch
02-26-2007, 9:58 AM

Mr. Williamson,

Trust me.

Per

Also make sure to get the best chuck & turning tools & hollowing system & sanding supplies, finish, pen turning fixings, blanks & tools & lots of wood, air mask & face shield etc. etc. etc. etc.etc.etc.etc.:eek: :D or you may need a refrigerator & stove & sink & toilet& shower &&&&& for that dog house.

Bart Leetch
02-26-2007, 10:05 AM
You guys are right, a trip to Vegas ain't no lathe. However, I always win money when we go to Vegas, so he's thinkin' I'll win enough money to buy it myself.

In all seriousness, I do want to try turning, but can't take on any toys/projects right now. Got to get the laser off the ground first. A lathe will be a purchase hopefully towards the end of the summer, so I'll be seeking lots of advice. Just thought it was sort of ironic that he just gave a lathe away about the time I got interested in getting one.

Hopin' your Monday ain't a MONDAY! :)

So what happens if you go in the hole in Vegas this time. You not only have to replace that money but still have no lathe. I only know one person that made money off every trip to Vegas. He was a gemologist & went to the pawn shops & purchased the rings & jewelry that people pawned to get home. Then sold the them back here at home as is or in new mountings. He always made real good money doing this. He didn't gamble. Just think an assured income from Vegas.

Belinda Barfield
02-26-2007, 10:17 AM
You're right Bart, I could very well go in the hole. I think he offered the trip to Vegas because he thinks I can't possibly lose as much money there as I'll spend setting up shop! I'm guessing I won't go to Vegas, or get my lathe, etc. before end of summer. The trip to Vegas will probably get sacrificed for tools. That's a good thing. Fun in the workshop lasts MUCH longer than fun in Vegas. I have a few things in the cooker for the laser. If all goes well, laser money will fund wood turning habit to be. I live in a condo so I also have to figure out where to work, I guess my garage. Our condo association has pretty strict rules. I could set up in our stone shop but I'm thinking stone dust and wood working tools don't mix too well. Stone dust is so abrasive I can see destroying other pieces of equipment with exposure. In the stone industry dust collection is never 100%, sadly. :(

Rich Stewart
02-27-2007, 12:42 PM
A LASER??!!! The cheapest one I ever saw was 15,000 bucks! If you got cash like that whats a few hundred for a lathe? And if you thinking of making money, the lathe and the laser go together it would seem to me. Pens and all manner of stuff that can be lased.

Belinda Barfield
02-27-2007, 1:00 PM
Rich, Rich, Rich,

Herin lies the difference. Company bought the laser. I buy the lathe. Company has more capital to expend than I. So, lathe has to wait until sales commissions from laser fill bank account. :D Sadly, this is how things work in my world. But it could be worse, at least I have a job to fund my habits.

Ed Kilburn
03-28-2008, 4:28 PM
Belinda, you can always us my tactic: I just sit down in the recliner and stare off into space. Soon my wife asks me what I'm thinking about. Well I say...........I’ve got a hard decision to make. And to that she responds: what is it maybe I can help. Well I can't decide if I should go to the shop and use my new (insert what ever it is I want) or go check if our new neighbor needs anything, you know that single redhead. To that she responds: You don't have a new (the new thing I want). Well thanks honey, you made that decision real easy. I usually get approval to buy what ever it is I'm after immediately.
:D:D:D

David G Baker
03-28-2008, 5:35 PM
Ed,
I think an earlier post in this thread mentioned life insurance, by any chance do you have a large life insurance policy on your self? Before you help the new neighbor you might want to think about canceling the large life insurance policy and apply the money to a large medical insurance policy. Make sure your wife knows about the cancellation.

Joe Chritz
03-28-2008, 6:55 PM
Well Ken, I took your advice. Life insurance less burial expenses leaves me with $3.52.

Anybody got a small spot of land, maybe deep in the woods? That might help with expenses. Oh, and will you take plastic? :D

And I have a backhoe. How's that for service?

Joe

Belinda Barfield
03-29-2008, 9:20 AM
Belinda, you can always us my tactic: I just sit down in the recliner and stare off into space. Soon my wife asks me what I'm thinking about. Well I say...........I’ve got a hard decision to make. And to that she responds: what is it maybe I can help. Well I can't decide if I should go to the shop and use my new (insert what ever it is I want) or go check if our new neighbor needs anything, you know that single redhead. To that she responds: You don't have a new (the new thing I want). Well thanks honey, you made that decision real easy. I usually get approval to buy what ever it is I'm after immediately.
:D:D:D

Okay Ed, here's how that scenario would play out around our house.

Gee honey, you know if I had that new set of wire wrapping tools I could start on your mom's Christmas present today. (Sigh) Oh well, our new trophy winning, body builder neighbor has the flu. I think I'l just take him some homemade chicken soup and fluff his pillows for him.

Well alright, but before you go I need to run over to the redhead's house and see if she has any lightbulbs that need changing. You know, she's just a tiny little thing. While I'm there I'll ask if you can borrow her tools. I'll be back in a little while. You just rest. When I get back I'll take that sick neighbor some KFC and he'll be fine.

My honey . . . he's just the best, and so thoughtful!:D

And I have a backhoe. How's that for service?

Joe

Joe, you win so far! That backhoe will make the job much easier. Don't they say if you dig deep enough you come out in China? It'd be just my luck, some one would find him in China, he'd end up on the next container ship bound for the US and land on the shelf in my local Home Depot - right next to the garden gnomes. :rolleyes:

Leigh Costello
03-30-2008, 6:43 PM
Belinda,
I have woods, a real creek, some fenced off mine shafts, and a circle driveway. Stop, dump, and roll. Just make sure I'm not using the same method for my hubby - the dumping part. I bought a new King Arthur Merlin to use for heavy wood removal when carving. I haven't seen it since I bought it. I am absolutely positive he has it and has every intention of using it first. That is just plain mean in my book! :D

Kevin French
03-30-2008, 7:11 PM
Let's see you need a Lathe (of Course)

Turning tools

Chucks

A grinder w/Cool Running Stones

Wolverine Jigs

Sounds like a big trip to Las Vegas

Found my Lathe, Grinder, Turning Tools in the Dump. Don't need to go to LV.

Belinda Barfield
03-31-2008, 8:21 AM
Belinda,
I have woods, a real creek, some fenced off mine shafts, and a circle driveway. Stop, dump, and roll. Just make sure I'm not using the same method for my hubby - the dumping part. I bought a new King Arthur Merlin to use for heavy wood removal when carving. I haven't seen it since I bought it. I am absolutely positive he has it and has every intention of using it first. That is just plain mean in my book! :D

Leigh, thanks for the offer! I agree with you about the new tool, that's just plain mean! Look in all his secret hiding spots . . . like the Nike box in the top of the closet, or the gym bag that has a sign on it reading "Dirty Stinky Gym Clothes, DO NOT OPEN, THIS MEANS YOU!", those sorts of places.

Let's see you need a Lathe (of Course)

Turning tools

Chucks

A grinder w/Cool Running Stones

Wolverine Jigs

Sounds like a big trip to Las Vegas

Found my Lathe, Grinder, Turning Tools in the Dump. Don't need to go to LV.

Good idea Kevin. This thread was started a little over a year ago and I have put the lathe idea on hold. Oh yeah, and the trip to Vegas, too.

In all seriousness, my guy is one of the good ones and I don't plan to do him in any time soon. We own a business together, and most days ride to work together. So, living in the same house, sharing an office, working side by side on the same projects, we're together A LOT. The fact that he hasn't killed me, or at least duct taped my mouth shut, is a testament to his patience. The scary thing is that now when I have a thought he voices it before I get a chance to, we end up humming the same song, etc. At the end of the day I escape into a book. He is the one who needs a hobby but work keeps getting in the way. Hopefully that will change soon!

Belinda Barfield
04-01-2008, 8:38 AM
Leigh,

Woke up in the middle of the night realizing I had misspelled your name in the last post. I am so sorry! I know the correct spelling, and don't know where my head was at the time (or why I woke of thinking about it in the middle of the night). I tried to edit this a.m. but it was too late.

Leigh Costello
04-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Belinda,
Guess where I found the new tool? Under the workbench, way in back. I found it while trying to find a hiding spot for his Father's Day present. I taped a smiley face to the tool case just to bug him. Love is wonderful, 20 years of it is wonderful, making each other crazy is just a perk.:D

By the way, if you read this honey, your present is not hidden very well. Stay away from my side of the closet.:p

Gary Herrmann
04-05-2008, 12:58 AM
Aw, Belinda that is a sad story. Don't tell him about the cost of the tools. Just tell him you can get a mini lathe for XXX. Down the road when he asks questions about the turning tools, just point out the lathe he gave away and the missed cost savings. Then hand him back his paint brush.

My wife is a carver. Carving tools proliferate much faster than turning tools. I don't even ask. Considering what I've gotten away with to date, I don't dare. Altho she is eyeing some of my boards...

Go Gators

Rick Gifford
04-05-2008, 1:25 AM
If you lived closer I could set you up with a free lathe. I have one given to me I've been waiting to pickup once my shop was finished. Not that Im looking to get rid of it, but I'd hook you up just between us Creekers :p. I have a Jet Mini and enjoy the heck out of it.

The freebe is a Craftsman and must be mounted to a table, has a longer bed than the Mini. Probably use it for longer spindles. Might find another home for it. I just seen it sitting on the shelf in my friends garage when he gave it to me because he doesnt turn, he just needed it for one job and its been sitting there for 10 years collecting dust.

Anyhow, just in case if you were coming north soon...:)

Belinda Barfield
04-05-2008, 8:24 AM
Thanks for the offer Rick! I'm not headed in your direction any time soon but I'll definitely let you know when I am. If you still have the lathe, great. If not, we'll just have a good old fashioned visit. One of my resolutions for the year was to take time to travel. Well, here we are in April and my butt hasn't left Savannah. Oh well, there's hope for the next eight months.