PDA

View Full Version : Most Dangerous Tool poll

Eric Wong
02-23-2007, 11:06 AM
So the WoodWhisperer just posted a link on his site to a poll of the most dangerous and respected woodworking tools. Here's the link:

http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2007/02/21/toolcribcoms-ultimate-guide-to-the-top-ten-most-dangerous-woodworking-power-tools/

So I thought I'd check out this forum's opinion with my own poll. (I'm not sure how to post a poll so if nothing show's up, please forgive me)
I also checked a little to make sure this poll topic hadn't come up too recently. I wanted more than 10 options, but oh well.

Luke McFadden
02-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Wow. Thanks for posting the link to that article. Very helpful information, I'm a noob, so I've yet to have any "safety training" specific to woodworking. I appreciate it!

L

Art Mulder
02-23-2007, 12:25 PM
Only problem is, I've never used a chainsaw. If so I might have nominated it.

Mike Parzych
02-23-2007, 1:16 PM
Without looking, I'd name the router. None of the other tools instill much fear in me if I take normal safety precautions. But that router just plain scares me at times, probably because of the rpm.

James Evans
02-23-2007, 1:52 PM
For me it is none of the above. Thankfully!!!. The one that got the best of me was the Crain Toe Kick Saw That thing is dangerous!! Luckily it didn't draw blood, it kicked back and hit me in the knee. Couldn't walk right for a few days. but they are all dangerous; treat them that way!!!

Jim Becker
02-23-2007, 2:05 PM
I voted "you" simply because the most dangerous tool is the one you are currently using.

Dan Mages
02-23-2007, 4:19 PM
Most accidents can be narrowed down to an IBM error...

Idiot Behind Machine.

Dan

Brad Trent
02-23-2007, 4:47 PM
Most accidents can be narrowed down to an IBM error...

Idiot Behind Machine.

I always heard that the problem was a loose nut -- the operator

wayne ateser
02-23-2007, 4:49 PM
drill press has caused most the hand gouges on my projects.

Lee DeRaud
02-23-2007, 5:03 PM
Nothing in my shop/garage draws blood as often as the doors on the upper storage cabinets. My own fault, I guess...just too cheap to spring for auto-close hinges.

(They say people get shorter as they get older, but I find myself bumping my head on things that never used to be a problem when I was younger.)

Glenn Clabo
02-23-2007, 5:15 PM
Actually it should me "me"...

I am and forever will be my own worse enemy. I use dull tolls...and cause blunt object injury. I use sharp tools and make nice clean cuts in my dumb self.

Glenn Clabo
02-23-2007, 5:17 PM
(They say people get shorter as they get older, but I find myself bumping my head on things that never used to be a problem when I was younger.)

It's reaction time Lee...I remember playing catch with the son a few years back. My brain knew the ball was there...I just couldn't put the glove in front of it.:o

Hans Reed
02-23-2007, 5:22 PM
i voted "you", if your head is not in the right place at the right time, anything could be dangerous...

Nice Poll...

Hans

Eric Wong
02-23-2007, 5:45 PM
What I find interesting is that for the article, the poll was placed on two different woodworking forums, and got a total of 106 responses. Here, the poll is up for only 6 hours so far, and already has 134 responses!

Awesome!

Chuck Saunders
02-23-2007, 5:57 PM
I went with (You) since my preferred choice (Dull Tools) are a result of the user.

Tim Devery
02-23-2007, 6:06 PM
For me it is none of the above. Thankfully!!!. The one that got the best of me was the Crain Toe Kick Saw That thing is dangerous!! Luckily it didn't draw blood, it kicked back and hit me in the knee. Couldn't walk right for a few days. but they are all dangerous; treat them that way!!!
Think that saw in fun, try the under toekick saw.
A spinning blade athe the end on an 8" extension. Ment to cut out hardwood under the Kitchen toekicks.......

John Ricci
02-23-2007, 6:55 PM
My vote goes to the framing nailer, especially when it's set for bump-fire:rolleyes: or when it double fires for no good reason:eek:.

Mark Rios
02-23-2007, 7:04 PM
I would also have to say that it would be any tool that one (you/me, etc.) was using.

The tool that I am most conscious of using while I"m using it though would have to be the chainsaw, after driving of course. ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-23-2007, 7:51 PM
To me....if I'm distracted, tired or unfamiliar with the tool I'm using, I'm the most dangerous tool!:o

Brian Penning
02-23-2007, 8:22 PM
I voted for chainsaw but meant this little critter. If it's not the most dangerous it's certainly the scariest.

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/sandingshaping/99t2001s1c.jpg

Bart Leetch
02-23-2007, 8:30 PM
I always find these discussions very interesting how humans want to blame the inanimate object I.E. the tool as being the most dangerous item in the shop. If you take the human being out of the equation there won't be an accident. So now who or what is really the most dangerous item in the shop?

As an example I know of an old line shaft machine shop where my Dad had things repaired from time to time. When he was having things repaired it was just the old gentleman that owned it that still worked there part time. Dad made the comment on one of our visits that it looked like a dangerous place to work the old gentleman said not any more since he had outlived all his former employees & was now the only person working there & then only part time. He only worked when he wanted to & felt up to it. He said the employees did incur injuries from time to time over the years way more than he has had since semi retirement. No people no injuries.

Dave Williams
02-23-2007, 11:06 PM
I think jointers are the most dangerous tool in the shop, and I think Audels carpenters and builders guide shows why.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Mr_Zoot_Suit/jointer2.jpg

Now the square head type were so bad that they are illegal to operate. The so called 'safety' or cylindrical are not much better. There is and old flat belt driven 20" jointer where my father works and one of his co-workers had shut it off and was brushing away the chips when disaster struck.(never ever go near the blades your hands or anything else unless the thing is unpluged and the belt off.) The moter was no longer on but the head was coasting to a stop, it weighs somthing like 40+ pounds or so, and this persons hand got sucked in to the still spinning blades. 9-1-1 was called and they had to look around in the wood chips for the skin from the palm and the meat from the fingers so that it might be reatached to the hand. That's why the jointer gets my vote.

Stan Thigpen
02-23-2007, 11:27 PM
I did a good bit of considering before voting. Whenever I use my jointer or table router, I get the shivers and watch the location of my fingers real carefully. But if you think of the [U]degree[U] of damage/risk, I had to vote for the chainsaw. I own three and nearly every time I use them, I am in a rural area away from rapid medical attention. With the shop tools, one can easily loose a digit, but the chainsaw has a greater risk of massive injury resulting in life-threatning blood loss.

John Terefenko
02-24-2007, 12:16 AM
I also voted the YOU thing because with every tool there are hazards that inert to that tool. Knowing how to properly use tools is a must in preventing accidents. As well as using caution when working while being tired, or using proper safety equipment. I will bet for every accident in the shop human error was at the fault somewhere.

Robert Mahon
02-24-2007, 8:48 AM
You have that right, Lee.

I have established a reputation for bouncing my head off anything within 2 feet of me. I remember (because I was told) a time when I was going form the cockpit of my boat to the cabin. Bending only a bit and in a rush, I did a Kevin Costner and ran the top of my Gourd square into the frame of the door. Out cold for about 3 minutes.

I am the most dangerous tool in my shop.

Randal Stevenson
02-24-2007, 10:01 AM
I voted you. Most accidents are PREVENTABLE. I just had a friend this week, who was trying to frame in the steel beam in his basement. He never learned that you shouldn't shoot a nail into a board that has steel behind it, and shot through three of his fingers.
Dino talks about how safe the EZ is, and then proceeds to make "demonstration" cuts where he is holding up the rail. While I am happy with the product, I believe that is still poor judgement, because all you have to do is trip once.

Don't work tired, cheap (trying to get by) or stupid, and pay attention.

John Miliunas
02-24-2007, 11:03 AM
I've either, personally known or have read about (in depth) people being seriously injured with each and every tool listed. The one common denominator with all of them remains the operator! :rolleyes: My own personal injuries have been at the receiving end of chisels, knives and router bits. Fortunately, (and stupid as I was/am) the router bits weren't even mounted in the machine when those happened! :o Let's be careful out there, folks! :) :cool:

Ted Miller
02-24-2007, 11:08 AM
I have to say its like guns, they are not dangerous the user is. Undivided attention no matter what tool I am using, not only to protech me but my project I am working on...

Dan McGuire
02-24-2007, 11:25 AM
I voted for "you" in the poll. I am a firm believer that accidents are preventable with careful consideration of how an operation is going to be performed before it actually takes place. As a side note, the tool that has drawn the most blood in my work shop has been a retractable utility knife. I cleanly sliced the tip of my left index finger twice cutting vinyl tile. All because I was in on a roll lying tiles and did not tell my left hand what the right hand was about to do:eek: :eek:

When I worked for a large auto manufacturer, a safety study was conducted on causes of injuries and it was found that most common injury was lascerations from utility knives, we went to a retractable blade knife, that was almost worthless to use, in an effort to reduce the injuries.

Gary Keedwell
02-24-2007, 1:11 PM
Besides the "you" vote, the tool I see on all the forums I visit that have 80% of the accidents, is the table saw. Maybe because of the frequence of use, but kick-backs and total forgetness where their hand is to the blade is most common. 4 out of 5 accidents on one particular forum were while using the table saw.
Gary K.

Eric Wong
02-24-2007, 1:24 PM
Wow, first I'm voted Time's Man of the Year, now I'm selected as the most dangerous tool in the shop! Cool....

Michael Gibbons
02-24-2007, 2:00 PM
Heck, I'm dangerous to myself with no tools involved. I was walking into the computer room yesterday and stubbed my toe on the edge of the futon. Didn't think much about it till I got home from work and took off my socks and saw that the entire toe was black and blue.:eek: That'll take a couple weeks to wear off.

John Shuk
02-24-2007, 2:55 PM
The one my wife realizes HAS NOT been in my shop for a couple of years!

"Jason Belous"
02-24-2007, 3:54 PM
I also nominate the toe-kick saw, if you've never used one try it, but you may want to wear steal toes and knee pads.