PDA

View Full Version : PM66 Problem?

Robert Strasser
02-23-2007, 9:13 AM
While changing blades I noticed I can move the Arbor Shaft about 1/32 inch from left to right. This requires force, but it can move. I have noticed no cut quality problems. Powermatic support says this is OK because there is a spring washer on the shaft/bearing assembly. If it was too tight it would be toast for the bearings.

But I was just wondering if other PM66 owners have about the same amount of "play" in their Arbor Shaft.

Anthony Anderson
02-23-2007, 9:38 AM
Powermatic support says this is OK because there is a spring washer on the shaft/bearing assembly.

But at some point won't the spring washer become worn? Doesn't sound right to me, but others with more knowledge will soon weigh in.

I owned a Ford truck one time, purchased new, and from the factory the engine cylinders were bored slighty too big. In the winter, until the pistons were warmed up, they would create a slapping sound, which is termed "piston slap". Ford engine plant, along with the dealer's service department, tried to tell me that "it is okay, and will not hurt anything, so just keep driving it." Wrong answer, and nice try, this sound is not normal, it is annoying, it is not good for the piston,cylinders, or rings. There needs to be a new engine put in my truck. Another call was put in to the engine plant, and I was informed the next morning that a new engine was on its way from Windsor engine plant.

Moral: Manufacturers try to see what they can get away with. Be persistent. It may be normal for your saw, but don't take PMs word for it. It just doesn't seem normal to me, especially on a $2k+ saw. Regards, Bill

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-23-2007, 9:38 AM
That should not be. The shaft should not move laterally at all. Get on the horn to your dealer.

Robert Strasser
02-23-2007, 4:50 PM
The PM66, at least my model year (2002), is designed to have between 1/64 to 1/32 inch play in the arbor shaft. There are two bearings separated by a spacer and a springy-wavy washer. I took out the arbor shaft and you can see daylight between the bearing and spacer where the springy-wavy washer is. I only noticed the arbor shaft movement because during a blade change I accidently wedged my thin wrench between the flange and bearing arm and forced the shaft to the right.

"Gary Brewer"
02-23-2007, 6:04 PM
Robert: Could you let us at smc know what you find out and how it is resolved. You've peeked my curiosity.
Thanks,
Gary