PDA

View Full Version : 12" Jointers---Yorkcraft vs. Grizzly---Combo Planer/jointer vs. separate machines

Jameel Abraham
02-23-2007, 9:00 AM
Can someone explain to me why these machines look to be nearly identical (only difference I see is the rack and pinion on the Yorkcraft) yet one is $1000 more?

http://www.wilkemachinery.com/default.tpl?action=full&cart=1169956051114711&id1=7&--woSECTIONSdatarq=7&--SECTIONSword=ww&--eqskudatarq=2352

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0609

One reason I'm researching this is to compare the price/performance difference between a separate jointer and planer vs. a European combo jointer planer. It seems to me that with the price of 12" jointers coming way down, the combo unit is not as attractive (disregarding space constraints) price wise. Especially since you have to replace knives twice as often on a combo unit.

Jim Becker
02-23-2007, 9:33 AM
Especially since you have to replace knives twice as often on a combo unit.
Would this really be different than replacing them on schedule on separates, if the usage is the same? ;) BTW, the life I've experienced with my Tersa knifes has been outstanding, even with the original "chrome" versions that shipped with the machine. And they are double-sided. Add to that, they are really easy to offset should you get a nick...just whack the gibs down like you are changing them, slide a knife over a smidge (technical term... :) ) and turn on the machine to reset the gibs. (Centrifugal force)

I do agree that the cost of 12" jointers has come down as of late...and that's a good thing. Do note that the stationary type planers (including those in combos) are not always the best for the thinnest stock due to the metal rollers for stock advance. A lunch-box planer may be something to keep around for the really thin stuff.

Steve Milito
02-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Can someone explain to me why these machines look to be nearly identical (only difference I see is the rack and pinion on the Yorkcraft) yet one is $1000 more?

http://www.wilkemachinery.com/default.tpl?action=full&cart=1169956051114711&id1=7&--woSECTIONSdatarq=7&--SECTIONSword=ww&--eqskudatarq=2352

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0609

One reason I'm researching this is to compare the price/performance difference between a separate jointer and planer vs. a European combo jointer planer. It seems to me that with the price of 12" jointers coming way down, the combo unit is not as attractive (disregarding space constraints) price wise. Especially since you have to replace knives twice as often on a combo unit.
I emailed Wilke with the same question and they never responded. I plan to look at the Griz this weekend.
FWIW, when I emailed Griz about availability they responded that same day.

Frank Martin
02-23-2007, 10:33 AM
I have also been planning to upgrade to a J/P combo and recently found out that Grizzly is coming up with a 12" version that is also available with sprial carbide insert cutter head for less than $2500 delivered. I think it is going to be available in May or so, therefore I postponed my purchase until that time. If the initial reaction is positive I will likely purchase one of those instead of the MM or Hammer units.

My only concern is that I have never owned or seen in person Grizzly machinery and not quite sure how the quality compares with that of the european models.

Stan Mijal
02-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Jameel,

Actually the 12" Yorkie and 12" Grizz have been within #100 of each other. For some reason, they have both gone up from the $1499(York) and $1599 (Griz) prices at the end of December. I have a couple of Grizzly machines and one Yorkie, and the fit and finish of both are , in my opinion, comparable. Mine were delivered in very good condition and alignment.
As for the combination machines, some have said the bed length being shorter will limit their ability to joint long boards accurately. Others feel the shorter beds do an acceptable job with the length boards they usually work with. I would be interested in actually seeing how much difficulty there is in switching from planer to jointer mode before making any kind of decision about them.

Kevin Murdock
02-23-2007, 10:51 AM
I would really appreciate Shiraz's comments on the new G0634 (12" Jointer/Planer with spiral cutter head), but I also understand that he might not want to as often these threads can get off topic so I haven't asked (until now :D )

This is a new product line for Grizzly so I'd be curious to know how more about it.

I own a G0513 bandsaw, a Shopfox 8" W1841 jointer, and a Shopfox 2HP shaper and have been happy with each... so I'm kinda already a fan.

I am VERY interested in the machine, and most probably will purchase one as I've always wanted a combo, but the cost was a bit limiting. I also think that the spiral cutter head on a "dual-use" machine like this makes it much easier to consider the additional cost compared to traditional knives.

I thought about placing my order when it first showed up on the website, but have waited to see what info would percolate out on it. Up until now, I've not heard too much.

It's a shame that it didn't get into the FWW review on 12" combos, be it due to Grizzly product availability or FWW's knowledge that it was an option.

/Kevin

Jameel Abraham
02-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Would this really be different than replacing them on schedule on separates, if the usage is the same? ;).

Yeah, I never thought of it that way. You're replacing them half as often on two machines, but its two sets of knives.

When you talk about thin, you talkin less than 1/4" or what?

I dont mind if we talk about combo machines. I'm in the market for both a new jointer and planer in the next couple years or so, so I'm interested in talking about the merits of going separate or combo.

Jim Becker
02-23-2007, 2:15 PM
By thin I do mean 1/4" and less...a lot of the larger machines are a bit agressive in the feed for thin stuff and if you are prone to "sneaking up" on a thickness, you'll also get caught with the feed rollers (which are generally searated metal) marking the stock. It can be sanded out, but that adds extra work.

The combo/separate decision, outside of pure lust :) , comes down to how you like to work. For me, I tend to bounce between the saw and the jointer a lot more than I effect a changeover between jointer and planer. But the changeover (about a minute...) doesn't bother me, either, as it helps pace things. Rushing is always a mistake and a little tool setup can help quell that a bit. I also really like the space economies brought with the J/P combo in my shop. I'd be really in a bind to have separates of similar capacities to the combo I own.

At the 12" level, the financial gap between combos and separates is closing a bit these days as we previously agreed upon. But when you go a little larger with 350mm (~14") or 16" machines, the combo often looks very nice from a cost standpoint over separates unless you are into reconditioning "old iron". And you win back the bed length on the jointer when you step up from 12" to 14"/16" machines. But it "is" a ching...ching... moment when you buy them!

wayne ateser
02-23-2007, 4:53 PM
I really like the Hitachi F1000a. 13" planer and 8" jointer. It was only $250 used but it was barely used. weighs 350lbs.

Jeffrey Schronce
02-23-2007, 4:57 PM
The YC was $1495 in the last few months. I believe they sold out at that price. I don't think they have any in stock, even at the $2495. They also do not have any Bridgewood drill presses in stock, nor do they have any of their #1 rated PBS BS's in stock. I wonder if they are reformatting their product line?

Merle Clor
02-23-2007, 7:37 PM
I would like to upgrade both of my existing tools in the next few months. The combo tools looked like a good option, but I am concerned about the short beds the combo units have. Current 8-12" Grizzley jointers have a 75-80 inch bed and the new combo's bed will be <60 inches IIRC. I know that I am not satisfied with the bed on my Jet 6" jointer so am skeptical about the length of the combo machine.

I was not impressed with the conversion time of the combo's as reported in FWW either. There are times when I go back and forth between the separate machines and this seems like an unnecessary barrier to me. If space is an issue, then these machines may be a good option, but I have adequate space available in my shop.

Merle

Steve Milito
02-23-2007, 7:52 PM
Jameel,

Actually the 12" Yorkie and 12" Grizz have been within #100 of each other. For some reason, they have both gone up from the $1499(York) and $1599 (Griz) prices at the end of December. I have a couple of Grizzly machines and one Yorkie, and the fit and finish of both are , in my opinion, comparable. Mine were delivered in very good condition and alignment.
As for the combination machines, some have said the bed length being shorter will limit their ability to joint long boards accurately. Others feel the shorter beds do an acceptable job with the length boards they usually work with. I would be interested in actually seeing how much difficulty there is in switching from planer to jointer mode before making any kind of decision about them.

Actually, the Griz 609 is still $1595.