PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Aderondack Chairs

Tim Boger
02-23-2007, 8:06 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

I'm preparing to make several Aderondack Chairs, I using the Eastern Cedar and would appreciate your feedback as to wheather I should finish the wood or leave it age naturally? I would love to retain some of the beautiful color this material offers.

If you've had success with a specific product (finish ) please do share that with me.

Since I'm in S.C. it will take a beating from the humidity.

Thanks folks!

Mark Saberniak
02-23-2007, 8:11 AM
I would definitely finish the chairs. I think that when cedar ages it starts to look bad. I would use Sherwin Williams catalyzed laquer. You can't beat the durability and it is very easy to use; however, you do have to spray it.

Tim Boger
02-23-2007, 11:29 AM
I would definitely finish the chairs. I think that when cedar ages it starts to look bad. I would use Sherwin Williams catalyzed laquer. You can't beat the durability and it is very easy to use; however, you do have to spray it.
Thanks for your suggestions Mark, I appreciate and need the help. Spraying is not a problem, I have the tools to spray on the finish.

Thanks again,

Tim

Jim Becker
02-23-2007, 11:31 AM
I do not use finishes on exterior projects and just let the wood silver out naturally.

While I understand Mark's recommendation, any film finish that might be used should be rated for exterior use. Interior products will break down quickly from UV. But film finishes also present major problems outdoors even when they are designed for it...any moisture getting under it makes for potential discoloration worse than the natural greying and weathering and they must also be redone with frequency to maintain them. A penetrating oil product such as Sikkens would be a better choice if a finish is desired as there is no film and maintenance is easier. Some folks do use and recommend exterior oil-based paint deep tint base (which dries clear) but I have not tried that to-date.

Jerry Olexa
02-23-2007, 5:30 PM
I'm with Jim on this. Let it age naturally. It is a weather resitsant wood by its nature. Just MHO

Tim Boger
02-23-2007, 6:54 PM
Hi Jim,

If using the Sikkens, will the natural colors of the Cedar remain?

For instance, if the Sikkens was re-applied annually would that slow or prevent the natural greying?

I ran about 150 bd.ft through the planner this afternoon and I'm thrilled with the colors and wild grain ... sure would like to use something that will at least keep the wood looking red for some years ahead.

This site is great, you folks sure are helpful!

Tim

Jim Becker
02-23-2007, 8:34 PM
Tim, even with UV "protection" you'll not stop the natural greying of the wood...and that goes for any species. Nature (!) of the beast.