PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
02-23-2007, 7:24 AM
Friday February 23rd, 2007

Yippeee!!! :) I got some help and got the X-31 back together with the Byrd Shelix head. Still have to adjust the infeed and outfeed tables and check the saw table. I did run a board through the head. It was a board previously done with tear out on the old head. No more tear out.

Anyway, I should have all weekend to mess with cleaning up and adjusting the X-31. My mom, LOML and grand daughter are going up to visit our youngest son in Cumberland, WI., so I'm free for the weekend.

Weather is predicted to be miserable here. Snow coming and it could be our biggest storm of the season. We may get as much as 12-15" of what they say will be wet and heavy. At least we know it won't be around too awfully long. Spring is getting closer. Just over 3 weeks now.

What's on your agenda for the weekend? Some shop time? Family time? Whatever it is, make it enjoyable and safe. :D

Karl

Glenn Clabo
02-23-2007, 7:29 AM
The saga continues...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=52511

Al Willits
02-23-2007, 8:42 AM
It appears I'll be working on my Delta Hybrid TS part of this weekend, had started the second CD storage cabinets using the Kreg pocket holes this time and this one actually looks like it may be a keeper...so far.:)
Unfortunately with the TS needing work, that project is on hold for a bit.

Other than that, got the snowblower gassed up for the foot of snow we're suppose to get, and will try to spend as much time in the garage as possible.

Ya all have a safe and well weekend.

Al

Jim Becker
02-23-2007, 9:52 AM
Well, I have swimming and karate duty on Saturday, but will try to spend as much time in the shop on the weekend as I can. 'Suppsed to get cold again for those two days (rats!) so I'll have to fire up the heaters again. I'll be working on the hall table project as I doubt the weather will be condusive to bringing home materials for the rolling tool cabinet I'm planning.

Jody Malinich
02-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Busy weekend again for me. I'll start off by recieving 600 bdft of lumber this afternoon from the great people at Steve Wall Lumber. I've got to plane a couple hundred bdft of it for ongoing projects. Have to finish up a sword display, work on a couple of coin displays, ten or so shadow boxes, 9 retirement chests, a set of dining chairs and go and get measurements for a shelving unit so I can get a proposal done. Saturday....more of the same. Sunday...well I don't work a whole bunch, mostly putter around a bit watch the race.

Belinda Barfield
02-23-2007, 10:39 AM
What? No partridge in a pear tree? ;) Where do you find all the time?

Jody Malinich
02-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Belinda,

I wish I had more time, but having a full time job AND trying to get a wood working business off the ground leads to alot of missed sleep. The LOML helps when she has time. On top of all that I have a bunch work that I need to do on the laser. Time management, tools and having the right materials on hand when I need it is key. Some times I feel like I'm walking in circles. I've got a plan to quit my full time job in June. Maybe sooner if I keep getting all this work.

Jody

Here is the Sword display I had to finish up today.

Dan Gill
02-23-2007, 11:33 AM
A couple of small things, like making some basketball holders (for autographed balls) for my son. I'll probably spend most of my time doing design work on my daughter's dresser. I still can't decide how to make it, and I think I'm going to get some big paper and do a 1/2 scale or full scale drawing. Better that than changing my mind in the middle, or not liking what I build. Plus, I need to wait for another paycheck before I buy the wood.:eek:

Belinda Barfield
02-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Jody,

I know what you mean about time. Best of luck on quitting the full time job. I manage our stone shop during the day, while trying to get my laser business off the ground. Home is cooking, cleaning, and a hamper FULL of laundry. I have three rocking chairs waiting to be stripped and refinished, two of which need to have woven rafia backs and seats replaced. Numerous crossstitch and crochet projects sitting around. This full time working is really getting in the way of my fun time and sleep. Can't remember the last time I slept more than six or seven hours. Sounds like you get less sleep than that! Hope you can quit that job next week!

Joel Ficke
02-23-2007, 11:39 AM
finishing, finishing, and more finishing. Well at least the whole shop smells like shellac....

Sammy Shuford
02-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Well, for me it's Sunday afternoon, ( I work weekends).

My Aquarium stand looks like a stand now, and not a stack of wood! My molding bit will be in next week, and I can cut the top/bottom molding.

Got to sleep this afternoon and go in at 10PM. Sleep tight!

Brad Schmid
02-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Hmmm, I must be the only one getting ready for summer :confused: :D

Yard weekend. Tree trimming, edging, flower bed cleanup, pond cleanup, etc. Maybe even mow the grass...

Hope ya'll enjoy your weekend whatever you do!

Chip Olson
02-23-2007, 2:06 PM
Need to finish painting the kid's table so I can give it back to him. He picked this bright yellow (he's 2) which will actually match our kitchen decently. And I'm hoping to get started installing drawers. Big shipment of hardware showed up the other day: drawer slides, hinges, levelers etc. Felt like Christmas.

Matt Meiser
02-23-2007, 2:31 PM
I finished adapting my brush hog to my quick hitch and painting it this week so I want to get it out of the shop and move on to making a stand for my grinder. We are getting close to starting a master bath remodel so I need to get my router table set up in my TS extension table and get a fence made so that I can make doors for the cabinets I'll be building. Not sure if I'll get to that this weekend though.

John Timberlake
02-23-2007, 2:35 PM
I plan to finally finish the dining table for my daughter. All the finishing is done except for final rubout of top. Hope to get it totally assembled for pictures by Saturday afternoon. Also taking my wife to dinner Saturday.

John Timberlake
02-23-2007, 2:35 PM
I plan to finally finish the dining table for my daughter. All the finishing is done except for final rubout of top. Hope to get it totally assembled for pictures by Saturday afternoon. Also taking my wife to dinner Saturday.

Al Willits
02-23-2007, 2:41 PM
""""""""""
"""""""""""

We've got 6-12" of snow enroute for the weekend, not much we can do about summer right now...:D

It appears the owner of the Hybrid is broke, not the saw, so I'll be working on the second CD cabinet, while trying to hide my embarrassment..:o

Al

Jerry Olexa
02-23-2007, 5:28 PM
Friday February 23rd, 2007

Yippeee!!! :) I got some help and got the X-31 back together with the Byrd Shelix head. Still have to adjust the infeed and outfeed tables and check the saw table. I did run a board through the head. It was a board previously done with tear out on the old head. No more tear out.

Anyway, I should have all weekend to mess with cleaning up and adjusting the X-31. My mom, LOML and grand daughter are going up to visit our youngest son in Cumberland, WI., so I'm free for the weekend.

Weather is predicted to be miserable here. Snow coming and it could be out biggest storm of the season. We may get as much as 12-15" of what they say will be wet and heavy. At least we know it won't be around too awfully long. Spring is getting closer. Just over 3 weeks now.

What's on your agenda for the weekend? Some shop time? Family time? Whatever it is, make it enjoyable and safe. :D

Karl

Watch it Karl. Lots of snow/ice headed your way I'm told. Keep the shop warm...

Mike Heidrick
02-23-2007, 5:58 PM
I think I am going to make a shooting bench. Just got a M15A2 Carbine this week. Also going to a gun show tomorrow.

Bert Johansen
02-23-2007, 6:01 PM
Tomorrow I will build the drawers for the second "file cabinet" project. The pair match a computer desk I made last fall. Below are a couple pictures of the completed one. The top drawer houses my scanner. The file drawer is on full extension under-the-drawer slides. Wood is lyptus, tiger maple and mahogany.

Sunday I'm off to the Rockler store in Dallas. They have a PC 7518 waiting for me! Finally gonna get the big beast into my router table.

Fred Voorhees
02-23-2007, 6:49 PM
Due to some work situations, it has just recently been decided to have my left hand operated on for the carpal tunnel situation. This was going to wait until this summer, but it could be happening in as little as two or three weeks. With that being said, this weekends plans have been changed. I have a massive pile of split firewood in the yard and a still rather large pile of rounds that are yet to be split. THAT is tomorrows (Sat's) job, to at least get the pile of rounds split and hopefully, get a bunch of the split stuff stacked. I want to be rid off all of it before the hand gets operated on. I don't want to have any of it staring me in the face while I recover. My youngest brother just called and said he's coming up from Cape May, so I may try to persuade him to help with the stacking.

Other than that, I may begin to sit down and draw out the plans for the next shop project, which will be a platform bed for my niece. The guys will be over on Sunday, per their normal habit, to watch this weeks edition of the NASCAR event.

Eric Wong
02-23-2007, 7:40 PM
In the middle of installing a ClearVue cyclone. Hope to finish the piping this weekend. Also need to get started on some birdhouses for my step-mom, gotta get them finished before spring!

Bob Nieman
02-24-2007, 6:23 PM
sharpening, sharpening and sharpening

got the water stones for Christmas, diamondstone for my birthday (Mark II guide the year before). Chisels are looking good, starting in on a plane I have owned for 20 years without sharpening. Wishing I knew someone who knows how to do it rather than trial and error. I have about decided the diamond stone isn't as flat as It should be and that has made for frustrations down the line (why won't the lines in the corner disappear? when can I stop? Do I really have to go back a stone and start over? why is this taking so long? just what do I do with the rest of the plane besides the iron?)
With luck though I will have a bunch of chisels I can start using with confidence, even the one that gave me the blue thumb in my pic.

Oh, and trying to figure out how to spend a little birthday money. Shop lighting maybe, but nothing available locally that will work in an unheated/unairconditioned shop.

Brad Schmid
02-24-2007, 9:52 PM
""""""""""
"""""""""""

We've got 6-12" of snow enroute for the weekend, not much we can do about summer right now...:D

It appears the owner of the Hybrid is broke, not the saw, so I'll be working on the second CD cabinet, while trying to hide my embarrassment..

Al

Hey Al,

I opened the door of the shop today and pointed my fan toward the north all day today just for ya'll! Hope you felt a nice warm breeze :D

Please return the favor in July:cool: :D

jonathan snyder
02-25-2007, 1:03 AM
Hey Al,

I opened the door of the shop today and pointed my fan toward the north all day today just for ya'll! Hope you felt a nice warm breeze :D

Please return the favor in July:cool: :D

Brad,
Can you please turn that fan up a notch? It was -18 here this morning, calling for more of the same tonight.

I worked on a shooting board today. It took a while, but I finally got the fence square. I hope to make a 45 mitre fixture for it tomorrow. I'll probable spend some time cleaning and tuning up an old Stanley #6 for the shooting board.

Hope everyone has a safe weekend.
Jonathan

James Suzda
02-25-2007, 8:18 AM
Moving/re-moving lotsa snow so the wife can get to work Monday!! ;)
Jim

Mike Heidrick
02-25-2007, 9:14 AM
Everyone stay safe out there in the cold and snow!!

Mike Goetzke
02-25-2007, 9:49 AM
I planned to pick up about 100' of baseboard trim Sat. AM, but, the selection was terrible. Then I thought I'll make my own out of my stash of rough sawn red oak...and I did. I had to resaw the wood (I don't resaw often) and my first few boards went well but the last one the blade all of the sudden wanted to drift to the left. I think it must be the tension and later I thought I'm using a 7" tall bull-nose fence for a 3-1/2" tall piece so the upper guides are about 3" above the work piece....why do I always have problems resawing???

Anyway the baseboard came out looking really nice and I got a chance to use many tools in the shop.

Mike

Al Willits
02-25-2007, 1:23 PM
Ah.....Brad, maybe can you turn that fan up a notch, I don't think its working....I just got done spending 2 hours clearing 8-10" of snow off the drive and sidewalk. :D
Bit of a nap and back to the garage, gonna try raised pannels doors for the first time...this oughta be good...:)

Al...who just noticed it started snowing again.....grrrrrrrrr

Brad Schmid
02-25-2007, 9:41 PM
Brad,
Can you please turn that fan up a notch? It was -18 here this morning, calling for more of the same tonight.
Jonathan

Ah.....Brad, maybe can you turn that fan up a notch, I don't think its working....I just got done spending 2 hours clearing 8-10" of snow off the drive and sidewalk. :D
Bit of a nap and back to the garage, gonna try raised pannels doors for the first time...this oughta be good...:)

Al...who just noticed it started snowing again.....grrrrrrrrr

Well guys,
I had the shop fan on high today, and I spent 3 hrs with my leaf blower and made sure I blew everything from the south end of the property to the north :D I'm afraid thats all the power I got!

Well anyway, I tried ;)
But don't be too down, my neighbor is in Alaska this week and he said it hit -60 where he's at:eek:
This global warming thing is gonna kill ya'll:rolleyes: :D :D :D

glenn bradley
02-25-2007, 10:12 PM
My Mom and Dad came up from the Carlsbad area. Mom went shopping with the LOML and her Mom. Dad and I worked on a x-cut sled and some card holders for the drawers on his wall-o-cabinets in his gara . . . er, shop.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-25-2007, 10:48 PM
Spent 16 hours yesterday and another 3 hours today getting our home computer running again. Today....doing my taxes. It's almost 8:00 pm here and I took a break from the taxes.

Mike Heidrick
02-25-2007, 11:19 PM
I ended up at two different gun shows this weekend and a trip to Gander Mountain outfitters store. Bought some hand planes (not worth much) and a Stanley #80 scraper also not worth much at one of the gun shows and a super warm arctic face mask on clearence at Gander. Buddys gave me a hard time for finding tools at a gun show.

Needed the face mask last week when I was plowing snow in my open station tractor. I am sure I will not need it again this year but I will not be without one the next time it snows.