PDA

View Full Version : Mini stereo system

John Miliunas
12-07-2003, 10:54 PM
I'm pretty sure I'd like to get one of those mini (micro?) stereo systems for my daughter as a Christmas gift. Two things, in particluar, which I'm looking for: 1) Decent fidelity at lower volume levels. For starters, she doesn't play her music real loud in the first place. Secondly, Mom would tell her to "turn it down", anyway! 2) It needs to have an external antenna input. The reception in her room is lousy, at best, but there is an outside antenna drop on the one wall. I've looked around numerous sites, but none of them list the antenna input as a "feature" or even within the specs.

Not looking for anything real fancy or "flashy". Just decent sound with the ext. antenna input. Doesn't even have to have the five or even three CD ability. One CD at a time is OK. Any suggestions, tips, recommendations....? :cool:

Jason Tuinstra
12-07-2003, 11:53 PM
John, the JVC FS-7000 is one of the best systems that I've heard in a mini-system - plus it has solid cherry speaker cabinets!!! What more could a woodworker's daughter want? This will set you back some, but it's way better than the Bose wave radio (no highs, no lows, gotta be Bose :D ) and other similar products. My friend has this system, and I'm almost positive it has an out for the antenna. You can go to http://www.audioreview.com/Mini,Systems/JVC,FS-7000/PRD_117629_2749crx.aspx to check out some reviews. Hope this helps.

Jason

John Miliunas
12-09-2003, 9:15 PM
Thanks Jason! I personally have always had "something" about JVC. Maybe it's because that was the very first brand of stereo receiver I bought. But alas, the cost on this unit is a bit prohibative. Plus, I really think that many of the features and BIG sound would be sort of lost for the use it's intended. I looked around a bit and finally "cheaped" it out, going for a Sony CMTEP313. It's got everything I was looking for, including a true coaxial input for an external antenna. Another important "feature" it has, which I should've mentioned is, that it's quite small and compact. She really doesn't have tons of room in there. The lack of super high fidelity is compensated for a bit by the fact that she'll often play her pre-recorded CD's on her PC, which is equiped with a nice subwoof. So, that's what I got for her, plus had enough $$ left over for a higher-end PS2 game she's been wanting for quite some time. I think she'll be happy with it and, I have a hunch, so will her Mom! I do, however, appreciate you input on this! Thanks! :cool:

Jason Tuinstra
12-10-2003, 11:52 AM
John,

I figured this might be a bit too "high-end" but I thought I would let you know about it. Perhaps you can put it on your x-mas list! Then again, for that money you can get a real nice power tool :D . Well, I hope you daughter likes her Sony sounds and her new PS2 game. Just wondering though, do you buy games for your kids with yourself in mind or should I be the only one who feels slightly guilty? :p

Jason

John Miliunas
12-10-2003, 12:01 PM
Just wondering though, do you buy games for your kids with yourself in mind or should I be the only one who feels slightly guilty? :p

Jason

LOL...No, actually the games are 100% for my daughter. Heck, I don't hardly know how to turn the thing on and Heaven knows I don't even have a clue what all those buttons on the remote control are for! She's conned me into playing a game or two with her, but she is so vastly superior to me with those things, that it's not a whole lot of fun for her.
Now, if she needs an assist on building a storage unit for her PS, then.... Hey, thanks for the info, anyway. BTW, you wouldn't happen to have any relation in the Madison (WI) area, would you? Just curious, as I work with a "Tuinstra" from time to time. :cool:

Ed Falis
12-10-2003, 10:11 PM
John,

I don't know how available they are in your area, but check out the speakers that Cambridge Soundworks makes (it's probably something like www.cambridgesoundworks.com). They make compact speakers for a variety of purposes that are simply wonderful.

I have a set for the stereo and one for the computer.

- Ed

John Miliunas
12-10-2003, 10:35 PM
Hi Ed,

Yup, familiar with Cambridge. Bought LOML a Kloss radio (Model 88) from them a couple years ago. Still sounds awesome and running great! That thing has one of the absolute best tuner sections I've ever run across. Stupendous sound out of such a small enclosure. Other than that, I'm pretty well set for speakers around here. I do have to replace a woofer on one of my old EPI 500's out in the shop,(probably do both to keep them matched) but they're not doing too bad. I did a "band-aid" on them a couple years ago by re-foaming the surround, but I think the cones and/or voice coils are getting a bit too tired. Re-coning them would be more $$ than replacing with decent quality components. As it happens, we have a major speaker OEM right here in Madison, WI, so that's probably where I'll go for the parts. Thanks for the info, just the same! :cool: