PDA

View Full Version : HF air compressors?

Hans Loeblich
02-23-2007, 1:09 AM
I want to get an air compressor for general prupose stuff. Blasting away dust, air-ratchet, etc. Just wondering if someone has experience with the HF models. I know some of their products can be of questionable quality.

I'm thinking something like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38898

Bill Lewis
02-23-2007, 7:40 AM
The compressor you link to is too small for the jobs you have listed. These type of compressors are generally designed for air nailers and not for continuous use like a ratchet, or blow gun, or spray gun, etc...
You can try to use these type of tools, e.g. short blasts with an blow gun but anything more will either be frustrating while waiting for the compressor to cycle, or possibly burn it up if you make it run continuously.

Hans Loeblich
02-23-2007, 9:52 AM
Why do you say a ratchet is continous use, seems to me it just works in very short bursts.
I never said I wanted to use it with a spray gun. For blowing dust, I was thinking just short bursts for that too. How short of bursts are we talking?

I have a super tiny garage and would like to keep it compact(and cheap) if I can.

What about this model?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90385

Larry Crim
02-23-2007, 9:57 AM
I agree with bill I have the 21 gal version listed on the same page and even it has a gard time when I use it for air tools like a p-grinder and ratchet, it works fine for short bursts but not for continued use so I would think the smaller one would have a hard time with it, It does work well for blowing dust and general shop stuff and has held up well for about 4 years now.
Larry

Homer Faucett
02-23-2007, 10:07 AM
I have this one http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47407 , which I got 4 years ago. I have never used an air ratchet with it, but I've driven thousands of brads and staples with it with no problem, and occasionally use it to air up tires and blow off dust. Super light, super portable, and not loud. You can't beat it when it goes on sale for $50.

Randal Stevenson
02-23-2007, 10:45 AM
I want to get an air compressor for general prupose stuff. Blasting away dust, air-ratchet, etc. Just wondering if someone has experience with the HF models. I know some of their products can be of questionable quality.

I'm thinking something like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38898

I have that compressor. The DAY I bought it, I had it in the truck and went to my garage (almost family, mechanic). One of the guys was outside and working on a vehicle (bays were full, waiting on parts) and needed to remove something (think radiator fan, but 2+years ago). He borrowed that, and it barely turned a ratchet. Everyone down there has borrowed it for framing, finish and brad nailers though.

Your MUCH better off with at least a 30 gallon when you start using mechanics air tools.

Mike Seals
02-23-2007, 1:24 PM
Figure out what tools you want to use and then you'll know if the compressor will be able to supply what you need. The last one you posted showed Air delivery: 5.6 SCFM @ 90 PSI; 7.2 SCFM @ 40 PSI. A ˝” ratchet CP from HF shows needing Air delivery: 90 PSI Air consumption: 4 CFM. So the compressor may barely handle it. I use an older belt drive craftsman, 33 gallon tank with 5 HP motor, and the specs are better than what you can get in the same size today. The compressor can keep up with most tools. Any tool that spins a turbine inside to make power will tax your compressor. Look around in the paper. Lots of folks sell their old belt drive compressors, which I find far more powerfull than the direct drives. I picked up for the wife’s garage, 5 HP 25 gallon compressor for $75 in great condition.

Travis Hirst
02-23-2007, 1:28 PM
I have a craftsman that's similar to that one. It works great for blow guns and air nailers but just not enough air to run a ratchet or anything that requires any amount of continuous air. I mainly just use it for the nailer and blow gun and then use a larger one for ratchets, impact, and sanders.

Travis

Dave Lehnert
02-23-2007, 5:29 PM
WAY TOO SMALL for an air-ratchet. I have a 30 gal tank. somthing like a ratchet or drill will make the 30 gal run a lot

Matt Meiser
02-23-2007, 8:37 PM
I have the twin-tank "hot dog" style compressor from them with is an oil-lubed model and I'm very happy with it. It stays in the garage for use there and in the house. I will not run an impact gun, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for occasional air gun or ratchet use. Especially if you get a 1/4" drive air ratchet instead of 3/8" drive. I find the smaller size to be much more useful since neither one really works to tighten or break stuff loose and the 1/4" drive is much easier to fit into small spaces.