PDA

View Full Version : my Krenov plane

David Marcus Brown
02-22-2007, 11:02 PM
I emailed Jim & Britta Krenov a few months ago and asked to be put on the waiting list for a plane. Mine arrived today w/ test shavings in the mouth. The wood has a unique smell to it. Maybe it's osage orange? Just my first guess.

It worked great out of the box and even better after honing the blade. I'm not sure if this plane was made recently or if it was one of Jim's users as it looks to have been used a few times -- not that I'd mind, it would be kinda cool.

A few others have received notes from Jim w/ their planes while others didn't. Mine didn't come with a note but it has Krenov's initials on the toe. If you're curious you can check out some pics http://picasaweb.google.com/ydb1md/Krenov

Ralph Dobbertin
02-23-2007, 12:00 AM
Very lucky,,,that's a keeper. I hear his eyesight is not very good anymore. Nice to see he is still working.

Tom Sontag
02-23-2007, 2:05 AM
I doubt the wood is osage. End grain on osage shows larger pores. Methinks you have some kind of exotic.

Lars Thomas
02-23-2007, 8:33 AM
David congrats on the purchase. The planes lineage makes it very special. Enjoy it. Lars

Ben Roman
02-23-2007, 11:16 PM
What did it cost?? Where can you order one?

Ben