PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical help on Hybrid

Al Willits
02-22-2007, 10:45 PM
I have the Delta Hybrid TS that's less than a year old and the mechanism that raises and lowers the blade is starting to bind.
If I tighten the nut that holds the wheel you turn to adjust the blade it binds more, loosening the nut helps.
Ive blown out the gears and anywhere else I could get to, but it doesn't feel like sawdust binding in there, not sure though.
This thing doesn't look all that complex, just hard for me to get to it to figure out what's binding, and I hate to just start disassembling it.

Any thoughts??
tia

Al

glenn bradley
02-22-2007, 10:53 PM
I believe Delta has a standard 2 year warranty. I would involve them ASAP.

Al Willits
02-22-2007, 11:12 PM
I was gonna contact Delta tomm, but I'm dreading the "bring it in and we'll look at it" that I know is coming...
I just added the outfeed extension table and hate to have to take it off, much less trying to get the darn thing in the back of the pick up.
Was hoping for something minor and I could fix it myself.
Thanks
Al

Bernhard Lampert
02-23-2007, 8:03 AM
Not sure if this is the culprit, but...
I remove all grease/oil and lubricant from all woodworking machinery with a mix of kerosene and naphtha. Then I apply a dry film lubricant (DOW321) for lubrication. IMHO, saw dust and grease do not mix well and will get you a sticky mess after a little while. The buildup in saw dust with grease/oil may just be enough to make the machanism stick, especially if it was a nice tight and close fit to start with.
There is no build up with the dry film lubricant and loose dust, etc can be cleaned with compressed air.
..my 2 cents
Good luck!
Bernhard

glenn bradley
02-23-2007, 8:07 AM
Sorry Al, that wasn't much help. My old C-man got tough to turn, so to speak. Like Bernhard, I cleaned everything I could off all teeth and screw-drive threads and applied a teflon-like dry lube (forget the name). This helped quite a bit but it seems too soon for your factory grease to have "turned". Is it quite cold where you are?

Al Willits
02-23-2007, 8:29 AM
Garage was prob about 55 degree's and I imagine the the saw hadn't warmed up from the 38 I keep it at, I'll try it when the saw is up to temp and see if it gets any better.
Doesn't appear to be any build up and I blew the internals of the saw out just in case.
Feels almost like metal on metal...kinda
I'm wondering as if I tighten the nut on the adjusting wheel it gets worse, if I'm not missing any parts?
I may just pull the belt off and see if the motor assembly pivots ok, least try to narrow down where its binding.

Also I found a 800 to Delta tech support and will call them to day.
Thanks
Al

Al Willits
02-23-2007, 11:15 AM
According to Delta it appears that not only does the nut hold the adjusting wheel on the shaft, but it also locks the mechanism from turning once set......seems it needs to be loosened to adjust, then tightened...:o

I am building a stake this weekend, so I can be flogged while attached to said stake.
I also won't go back and re read the instructions again, as I'm sure I'll see the part about it being a lock nut this time, I'll just wallow in self embarrassment for a few days..

Sorry to have bothered, I'm sure someday I'll see the humor in all this....:D

Al who will add "read instructions twice" to "measure twice, cut once"