PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Shop Table

Rob Will
02-22-2007, 10:34 PM
Here's a project that I welded up a few days ago and put together today.

It is a rolling shop table made from 2 x 2 x 1/4" angle iron.
The dimensions are 48" wide x 72 long x 34.5 high
(the same height as my table saw:) )

The 3/4" plywood tops shown here will get laminate and possibly a vinyl t-molding around the edges.

Aside from duties as an outfeed table, it will be for storage and extra assembly space.

The 8" casters (they were free) roll a little too easy so some sort of parking brake is in order.

Note that the casers are mounted on a hidden plate (channel) and set back from the outer corners by about 4". This keeps the 8" wheels out of my toe space.

Any suggestions on how to install a brake or otherwise add to this shop table?

Rob

David Wambolt
02-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Nice job. I work with metal as well and like to use it for structure parts just like you did.

I'd recommend some poly wheels with a step foot brake. I have some on a smaller welding table I built and man it rolls so nice and quiet and locks into place very nicely.

Here's a link with some pics to show you the wheel type I used:

http://www.dmwtech.com/gallery2/v/welding/myprojects/wtable01/

The table top looks bowed, because it is. I sat about 900lbs on it and then welded it ot the frame. It's not 100% perfect, but then again it's only 1/4" plate. It was just a general use portable welding table, not a precision fitment table. I locked all four sides so that depending on the side I was on, I could always lock the table. It's perfectly stable with only two wheels locked due to the grippy material on the wheels.

Rich Engelhardt
02-23-2007, 7:44 AM
Hello Rob,

Here's three losuy pictures of the cleat system I put on my "FrankenCart".

The cleats allow me to extend the top surface, put a handle on it, put a carrying box on it,,pretty much hang anything at all on the side.

The cleats are 3/4" plywood with a 1/2 piece glued to the back. The one that mates with it is reversed. I got the idea for it from one of the woodworking magazines last fall.
It's come in incredibly handy.

Jim Becker
02-23-2007, 9:40 AM
Very nice rolling work surface, Rob.

About the only way I can think of for a "brake" is some blocks that swing down to lift the wheels off the tarmac and support the unit. While "free" is nice, you might want to consider the double locking casters from Lee Valley as long term replacements. I have them on my router table and kitchen island so far, and they will be on my rolling tool cabinet, too. Very well made, roll nicely and lock securely for both roll and turn.