PDA

View Full Version : Got the laser 4 hours ago

Eugene han
02-22-2007, 9:43 PM
Hi guys! I am very excited since I finally got the laser (Trotec 45 W) 4 hours ago. I will try to buy dust collector and air assist next week. I am living in a smaller city in Canada so it is not as easy as in the states to buy those tools.
The laser is fine though there are some scratches during the transportation from Europe to here. A minor scratch in the top cover and more in the table which is quite deep. The reason is they did not fix the tools box and the package is not that good. Another reason is the top cover is wider than the system so it might caused one scratch. Should I ask TROTEC to change a new table or else. It is not a big deal, however, there are more than 10 scratches which makes me not feel that happy. The problem is Trotec packaging and the transportation.
I will report here more after I start using it to share more info. I already got some helps from our members and really appreciate.
Have a good day.

Eugene

James Meagher
02-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Which small city are you from in canada? I am also from canada

Bill Cunningham
02-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Where abouts in Canada are you Eugene? Busy Bee tools in Barrie has blowers in the form of dust collectors, but DON'T run it with the bag on it.. It's pretty useless anyway, because 'dust' will not be your problem, and it won't do anything with smoke.. Just pipe the laser to the blower (actually at this point it's really a 'sucker' :D ) with a flex metal intake, then run the discharge from where the bag was attached, to the outside through a blast gate.. The Blowers are a couple a hundred bucks for a decent one.. Probably 99.95 in the states though :(

Mike Hood
02-22-2007, 11:14 PM
Should I ask TROTEC to change a new table or else.

You'll soon have char and other gooie-ness all over it... I wouldn't sweat some small scratches on the table itself.

Vicky Orsini
02-23-2007, 8:34 AM
Hi, Eugene! Another Canadian here. Busy Bee Tools is a good place to get your blower. Another is Princess Auto, if they happen to have one when you're looking. We got our air compressor at a local artist supply store. It happened to be a little less expensive at the moment than Michaels. You're looking at anywhere between $125-$250 for a good air compressor.

In the mean time, though, glass doesn't cause smoke & dust, so you can start practicing on some of the stuff in your kitchen cupboards. :D

Mike Null
02-23-2007, 9:28 AM
Eugene:

Congrats on your purchase. Have Trotec fix the problems or make an adjustment.

Eugene han
02-23-2007, 9:46 AM
Hi, Guys.
I am living in Waterloo, not far from Toronto. I am new to Canada as an immigrant. However, I have lots of experience in using Yag laser and other lasers. I would appreciate all for your input and if possible, we can meet together in the summer time somewhere. I will check with the dust collectors and air assist next week since I am very busy this month. I will try to focus on materials which do not generate lots of smokes since I am renting an apartment. I have the new software installed and have a e-manual. The help from the software is not so user friendly, the manual is better. There is no hard copy manual from the shipment. I have ordered a 2 inch and 2.5 inch lens, I will order a 1.5 inch and 4 inch lens this summer to try to expand the system's ability. I also have a very good microstage which is lenss than 1 micrometer and will try to make a new milling station myself later this year. I have no experience in local industry, though I have lots of experience in UCSD, Germany, Japan, etc. I also want to buy some materials early next Month to test the laser since this Month I have meetings most of the workday.

Eugene han
02-23-2007, 9:57 AM
Mike, thank you for your kindness sending me info before. I have not emailed Trotec yet. I have 2 meetings this afternoon and also want to get some feedback on how to deal with the minor issues. It is not a big deal, though It is not packaged well since no fix to the tools box which might caused the scratches on the tables. The table is quite deep so the only reason is from the packaging and while in the transportation and test run in the dealer place causing some scratches. The table (not the cutting table) might connected with the motion system so that a change might be complicated. I only paid the deposit, have not pay the remaining yet.

Perry Brock
02-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi Eugene,

I have owned Trotec lasers from the start. (6 years)

You won't have any problem getting your scratch problem resolved. Their tech support and service people are a good bunch to deal with.

Meanwhile I would just play with it. My wife was a Laser Widow for a couple of years when I got my first 25 watt Speedy.

Congratulations!!!

PLB

Vicky Orsini
02-23-2007, 12:33 PM
I will check with the dust collectors and air assist next week since I am very busy this month. I will try to focus on materials which do not generate lots of smokes since I am renting an apartment. Is this a residential appartment, or part of a commercial or industrial complex? If it's residential - be very careful! :eek: Have you checked with your municipality to make sure it's OK to run your machine in your appartment? Most mateials you work with will create a lot of smell, if not smoke. You'll need to vent your machine outside, which your neighbours will smell. If you can't vent outside, you'll need a very expensive ventillation system, which doesn't always work 100%. Wood is OK - smells like you have a fireplace. Leather smells like burning hair. Plastic, acrylic and rubber stink a lot. Even anodized aluminum and marble give off some sort of smell, although not as strong as the others (but I'm sure, over time, your neighbours will start to notice it).

Welcome to the neighbourhood. :) I'm near Barrie, about an hour north of Toronto.

Ed Maloney
02-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Eugene - By any chance do you live on the top most floor?

Mike Hood
02-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Wood is OK - smells like you have a fireplace. Leather smells like burning hair. ... although not as strong as the others (but I'm sure, over time, your neighbours will start to notice it).

I explain that I'm cremating cats. :eek:

Eugene han
02-23-2007, 1:12 PM
Hi. I am living in the top most. My family lived here 5 years though I did not most of my time. I will try to invest on the expensive systems so that smell amd smoke not influence others. As for the scratch, I am afraid that local guys properly are not as good as the guy in the system maker. If one change the table, one need to reassembly the system. Can I get some free materials so that I will not complain the scratches?

Bill Jermyn
02-23-2007, 1:58 PM
Hi neighbour, I'm also in Waterloo. I bought a used Epilog Legend EX 32 which I haven't taken out of the box yet. I'm thinking I'll have to rent a space to operate it, though I may try and experiment in an upstairs bedroom in my house for a while.

Ed Parkyn
02-23-2007, 2:16 PM
Congratulations Eugene! The rest of the group are right in advising the use of a simple exhaust blower and not one with filters and collection bags. Enjoy, enjoy!!

Ed Parkyn

Vicky Orsini
02-23-2007, 2:33 PM
I will try to invest on the expensive systems so that smell amd smoke not influence others. If I remember correctly, Trotec actually makes a very nice filtration system. Have you spoken to the Trotec people in Mississauga? Jim Unsworth or Jon Colley? They were both very helpful and knowledgeable when I went to a demo at the Canadian head office. Look them up on the Trotec website. I'm sure they'd love to give you a demo on the filtration system. I can't say whether or not they'll give you free stuff to compensate for the scratches on the table. Doesn't hurt to ask, though! :D That's actually one of the reasons we decided against the Trotec. It's a beautiful machine (probably the best of all the ones I looked at), but with everything enclosed like that, it must make maintenance and repairs a bit of a challenge.

Vicky Orsini
02-23-2007, 2:35 PM
The rest of the group are right in advising the use of a simple exhaust blower and not one with filters and collection bags. The problem is, Ed, that he's in an appartment and so may not be allowed to vent to the outside. If that's the case, he'll have to get a proper ventillation system (not to be confused with a dust collection system). ;)

Dave Jones
02-23-2007, 3:55 PM
Eugene, just to make sure, you do understand that:

1 - You can not use the laser at all without some kind of blower or exhaust system.

2 - You can not use a "dust collector" with a bag

3 - The exhaust MUST either go outside or through an expensive filter system ($2,000-$4,000 and expect to continue to pay a lot more money over time for replacement filters) If you do not have the filter system, then it must go to the outdoors.

4 - You can not run it with it venting indoors without a charcoal and HEPA filter system designed to handle the volume of a laser exhaust

5 - even the expensive filter systems are not perfect and you should still have a low powered vent in the wall or window nearby that gently blows air out of the room.

Eugene han
02-23-2007, 4:20 PM
Hi,
Just back home and am very glad that lots of input from you guys. I will buy active c and HPEA filters, maybe a electrostatic system as well. I have seen the demo of the fume extraction system and would like to DIY to save some money as well as to suit my need. I will probably move out after the business really going in a year. For me the apartment building is small, I am more concern about the noise and the small particles. I may not work on plastic and leather or wood most of the time. I will work on metals and glasses to make life a bit easier. Here I only know, sears, war-mart, Canadian tires, Home depot, Rona. I will shopping around this weekend though I also need to write my business plan (not for financing). I have read Vicki's and Bill C's post. They are very helpful. Here in Canada, it is a bit harder to find some tools. Bill J., I would appreciate if you can provide some info on local suppliers since I am quite new and have a limited knowledge of local suppliers. Anyway, I will put lots of my time in it next month after I have free time. I am a small business and will strugle to survive. I will not bit too low in price so that no people will be hurt by pricing low.
Yujie Han

Mike Null
02-23-2007, 4:29 PM
Eugene:

I have the same problem with the e-manual. It is not user friendly but the tech support here is great and they've helped me over the rough spots. I love this machine so if you need any help just pm me.

Richard Rumancik
02-24-2007, 6:06 PM
Just one other issue about running the laser in an apartment - this has been touched on in other threads but you might not have seen it. If you vent to the outside, make sure that you don't allow the apartment to depressurize, or you may interfere with chimney function (if not electric heat) and also can interfere with plumbing ventilation. (In a house you can also pull air from the floor drain; you won't have this problem on an upper floor.) The make-up air has to come from somewhere, and you need to ensure it is fresh air.

Eugene han
03-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Hi, bought a DC from Toronto at 230 $ and am working on a closure and how to reduce the noise till mid-March. I have visited many shops for air compressor, there are many nice ones. Unfortunately, most of them are a bit niser. I am thinking of buying an air-brush type compressor with 1/10 to 1/8 HP or can I use some inflator like the one from Canadian tire since they are much quiter and still can provide up to 30 psi which is OK for most of the jobs.
As for Trotec, I have not get any response since I ordered my laser until I asked whether or not the laser was ready for pick up (which in-deed already arrived). I send email to Trotec about the scratches without any response. It is not a bit deal though. I also phone several times about some technical problems to US branch, I have never got any call back or whatever feedback. I called ULS etc., they are very helpful.

Vicky Orsini
03-01-2007, 1:02 PM
I am thinking of buying an air-brush type compressor with 1/10 to 1/8 HP Yes, you can get a nice Iwata compressor with auto shut-off from an art supply store or Michaels. Ours works beautifully.

As for reducing noise in your apartment, you can try acoustic or soundproofing tiles. You can get these at Home Depot or Rona. Build a box around your exhaust fan and line it with the tiles to help reduce the noise from that. If you want to reduce the noise from the laser itself, maybe you can temporarily mount the acoustic tiles to your walls & ceiling with double-sided tape. Just a thought. :)

Eugene han
03-01-2007, 3:46 PM
Here, the local Micheals sale badger, 1/10 hp 43 psi for 239 $. I will pick one up tomorrow. There is no Iwata for sale. Iwata might be a better choice.