PDA

View Full Version : makita 18V Compact Lithium-Ion Drill ??

Roddy Thibault
02-22-2007, 6:56 PM
Im looking in to buying this drill and would like to know how you guys like it?

Makita BDF452HW (Sumo) 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Compact Series 1/2" Drill
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BDF452HW-Lithium-Ion-Compact-Drill-Driver/dp/B000K6ILDW

any comments would be great

Mike Heidrick
02-22-2007, 7:01 PM
I own the big brother and love it (mine cam in teh LXT202 set). I held this lighter white LXT drill at the WW show in St Louis and it is very nice and very comfortable. No hammer drill option. Makita is making a Impact/Drill combo unit now that has both impact ratchet and a clutch - very nice drill.

You will love the LXT line.

Tim Brooks
08-24-2007, 3:05 PM
Roddy and anyone else who would like to comment...

Did you purchase the drill? If so, what do you think now that you have it? If not, what did you go with and how did you like it?

I just began looking at the Makita BDF452HW 18 Volt Compact Lithium-Ion Driver Drill Kit on Amazon and was wondering what you as well as others on the creek think about it or what you would recommend. I originally went away from the cordless drills as I didn't use them enough to cycle the batteries. This, as many of you know, kills the life of the batteries. Now since it has been awhile I was wondering if the technology has improved. I have never owned a "high end" cordless driver.
I searched before I asked the question and this is the only post concerning the drill. There wasn't much in the way of response so I thought I would bring it back up. Please give me your input.

Todd Jensen
08-24-2007, 6:14 PM
I had the 14.4 kit, and wasn't very happy with battery life. That kit got stolen and so I upgraded to the 18v Li-ion kit and really love it. The drill might be slightly heavier but the impact seems to be just as light as the 14.4. I use mine everyday and they get tossed around the back of my truck during the week, and then get abused working in the shop or on my atv on the weekend. The batteries really seem to hold a charge, the impact has a light touch for having so much torque(I've used it to back the cheap Yamaha screws off the throttle body of my atv), and the drill seems well balanced(I use it primarily for drilling baluster holes in handrail, where I'm holding it upside down and can't afford to have it screw up).
Another kind've silly thing that I think is really cool is that the LEDs come on with a touch of the trigger, and then stay on for a few seconds after the trigger is released. I rarely use this feature but its nice for digging around for tools in the back of the truck on dark mornings. Also, as far as your concerns about battery life, I usually use these every other day at least, but have grabbed them out of the truck after a week or so of sitting and haven't been let down yet.

2 Thumbs up for this kit from me.:)

Rob Leslie
08-24-2007, 6:57 PM
The batteries in my old Craftsman drill died about a month ago. I did a little research and found that this Makita got high reviews across the board (i.e. wherever I could find comments/reviews they were positive). I found a local supplier in Houston that had it for $199 and purchased one. The Li-Ion batteries charge up quickly and seem to be holding charge quite well. I use mine primarily for mounting turning blanks onto faceplates. I'm very pleased with mine.:)

Randy Denby
08-24-2007, 7:20 PM
I'm in A/C refrigeration work...and we us ours every day, sometimes very hard.Such as drilling 3" holesaws thru a built up tar roof, metal decking,etc. I've been using cordless drills since they first came out and have owned almost every heavy duty brand. Our Makitas 18v LI are the best we have ever had. Lightweight (for the voltage),very durable,battery last a very long time and doesnt drain down when left unused. The heat inside my van (Texas) would kill the Dewalts 14.4 batteries.I especially like the little 18v impact driver. And the LED's are great when working inside tight dark closets, attics,etc. I've not had any experience with the white makita, but have read where its battery is a tad smaller, which lessens the battery capacity, but also lessens the weight. If needed, the higher amp hour battery will fit .

Dana Vogel
08-26-2007, 7:26 AM
A great drill for moderate use, light weight and well balanced, but don't expect it to compete with it's big brother The battery amps is half the amount 3.0 vs 1.5 when used for demanding work it will poop out sooner. I have both so I can tell you from personnel experience, but I always reach for li'l brother for woodworking projects, the good part is both battery packs are interchangeable with the smaller drill but not the bigger one.