PDA

View Full Version : Stronghold and/or Talon chucks

Steven Evans
02-22-2007, 6:04 PM
I have read where people have both chucks on different forums. Can someone tell me why? I was planning on buying the stronghold thinking it would be the only one I need.

Dario Octaviano
02-22-2007, 6:07 PM
What lathe are you using?

Sometimes it is just nice to have several chucks. Bigger is NOT always better, especially when you want to go near the base. ;)

Bill Wyko
02-22-2007, 6:28 PM
I'd like to have two. One for my small jaws and one for my jumbo jaws. I hate having to take all those allan heads out to change parts.:cool:

Mark Pruitt
02-22-2007, 6:53 PM
It's tempting to think bigger is better, but that is not necessarily true in this case. The Stronghold can potentially obstruct access to the areas closest to the axis for the very reason of its size. It's a great chuck from all I hear and someday I'll probably own one, but frankly between the two you mention the Talon is the better all-around choice. It will hold some mighty large pieces--bigger than its size leads you to believe. Don't forget too that you can purchase multiple sets of jaws to accomodate very small or very large pieces.

Steve Schlumpf
02-22-2007, 7:24 PM
Have to agree with Mark that bigger is not always better when it comes to a chuck. I have a Talon and found it will hold everything that I have thrown at it. Friend of mine has both the Talon and Stronghold and found he only used the Stronghold on very large items and also found that it just got in the way with the smaller stuff.

Really boils down to - what do you plan on using it for and do you plan on only turning large items?

Jim Becker
02-22-2007, 7:53 PM
I've stuck with my Talon (and all its jaws) even though I moved up to a larger lathe. When I start turning really large things, I'll buy a Stronghold just for that purpose and leave the Talon in service for everything else. The smaller chuck is actually a pretty strong offering and with the #3 jaws, it will easily handle a 16" piece safely.

Brodie Brickey
02-23-2007, 1:51 AM
I bought the stronghold about four years ago. Its the only chuck I own. I've moved up from a 14" to 20" swing two years ago and haven't had any problems. I was considering the purchase of a Talon just so I didn't have to change jaws as much, but according to Oneway's website the jaws are not interchangeable (different part numbers).

I use the #2 jaws for expansion turning on my mugs and the #4 for large bowls. I could probably have accomplished everything with a Talon though.

Rich Souchek
02-23-2007, 8:08 AM
I use the #2 jaws for expansion turning on my mugs and the #4 for large bowls. I could probably have accomplished everything with a Talon though.

Brodie,
I've been trying to use a Talon on a 20" lathe exclusively, but the TalonW/ #3 jaws doesn't quite cover the big end that our 20" lathes are capable of.
Oneway makes a middle chuck, the Oneway chuck (their original chuck witht tommey bars) that probably would work the entire range, but not much has beens aid about it.
Rich S.

Mark Pruitt
02-23-2007, 8:17 AM
Don't forget that Oneway also offers Tower Jaws (http://oneway.ca/chucks/accessories/tower_jaws.htm) that will increse the Talon's capabilities even further.