PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Pinnacle anyone??

Steven Evans
02-22-2007, 6:02 PM
Has anyone seen or used one of these lathes? It looks awesome in the video. I am looking at a mayo 2436 or spend a little more on one of these and be able to add the duplicator later on.

Dario Octaviano
02-22-2007, 6:09 PM
Undoubtedly a good machine but a bit over accessorized for my taste (can't afford one too)

Jim Becker
02-22-2007, 7:57 PM
I agree with Dario...of the two you talk about, I'd choose the OneWay any day. Others to consider include the Robust, Vicmarc and Stubby. If there is any way to get to turn on anything on your short list, please do it...comfort is a big consideration, especially when you're investing in a high-end machine that you plan on being your "last lathe". That, for example, ruled out the big OneWay for me. It's a wonderful machine, but it's design was cumbersome for the way I turn and what I turn. Stubby won.

John Shuk
02-22-2007, 8:47 PM
I've seen the Pinnacle demo'ed and it is an impressive machine...however it belongs in a furniture or architechural column shop.

Joash Boyton
02-23-2007, 12:56 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!!! impressive machine!!:eek:

Christopher K. Hartley
02-23-2007, 7:48 AM
Has anyone seen or used one of these lathes? It looks awesome in the video. I am looking at a mayo 2436 or spend a little more on one of these and be able to add the duplicator later on.I looked pretty close at them and it is way more than a little more money if you get the attachments. I'm going Robust.

Chris Barton
02-23-2007, 7:58 AM
I would think it depends on what you want to do with a lathe. The Pinnacle is really just a very large spindle lathe, yes you could turn bowls on it but if you think about it, this lathe is by design made to make spindles in a production shop. So, if you want to have a side business of making porch collumns then this might be the right lathe for you. A side note on duplicators, I have one for my smaller lathe and I have used it exactly once, the day I got it and not a lick since...

Christopher K. Hartley
02-23-2007, 8:10 AM
I would think it depends on what you want to do with a lathe. The Pinnacle is really just a very large spindle lathe, yes you could turn bowls on it but if you think about it, this lathe is by design made to make spindles in a production shop. So, if you want to have a side business of making porch collumns then this might be the right lathe for you. A side note on duplicators, I have one for my smaller lathe and I have used it exactly once, the day I got it and not a lick since...Actually. if you view their CD's they did try to make this a combo lathe and adjust for Bowls. It does; however, leave a lot to be desired.:)

Chris Barton
02-23-2007, 9:28 AM
Actually. if you view their CD's they did try to make this a combo lathe and adjust for Bowls. It does; however, leave a lot to be desired.:)

You are right about it leaving much to be desired Chris. I looked at one at IFW last year and while it may look like it would be easy to turn a bowl on in the DVD, in the flesh you realize that this is a lathe designed for a primary purpose and that's not bowls or HFs. It is a great production spindle lathe.

John Shuk
02-23-2007, 4:32 PM
This machine was not develpoed by a hobbiest turner IMHO. It is also really big bucks. I can't see why you would choose that lathe at that price point with the other machines available that compliment the type of work we seem to do here.

David Walser
02-23-2007, 11:26 PM
Another problem with the lathe is the spindle thread is not a standard size. Laguna offers adapters, so you can use your chucks and other accessories, but such adapters often introduce runout. So, either you have less choice in accessories or you risk less accuracy.