PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone worked with Kingwood?

Jason Slutsky
02-22-2007, 2:58 PM
I just got some kingwood and was wondering if any of you have worked with it before and what you might have to say about it. Did you finish it and what did you use?

I do know it's a rosewood like cocobolo and can be dangerous so my respirator is ready.

Jason

Bill Wyko
02-22-2007, 3:15 PM
I did a small segmented piece with it and it was very nice to work with. Beautiful color and goes good with purple heart. Kind of pricy though.

Jason Slutsky
02-22-2007, 3:21 PM
I agree with the cost but this will be be for a gavel that I am giving to my friend who is a judge. He's performing my wedding ceremony in June. The least I could do for such a favor.

Oh geez...now I did it...opened up the floodgates for comments!

Before you all ask me...yes, she knows I have fallen into the abyss. She helped me by buying my lathe.

Harry Goodwin
02-22-2007, 3:43 PM
I have turned some small boxes on the lathe and some pens and it turned great. I finished it with some tripple E, ca glue and turning finish. Harry

Doug Shepard
02-22-2007, 6:36 PM
I made some small (flat stuff) boxes out of it. I had problems getting poly to cure on it due to the oils. Had to strip it off and put on a seal coat of dewaxed shellac first. The poly had no problems curing over that.

Bill Wyko
02-22-2007, 6:38 PM
Try Deft clear coat. It works great and drys fast.

Bob Hallowell
02-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Jason, Just be careful cause if you get in a 2"x2" piece of turning stock it won't be dry and my crack over time.

Bob

Kurt Forbes
02-23-2007, 12:05 PM
It machines well. Watch for splintering and cracking. Do not let it get too hot.
Makes great gavels I turned a spinning top out of some scraps of Kingwood this weekend. I have to finish up the top this weekend and install/make some tips for it.

Jason Slutsky
02-24-2007, 3:22 PM
Bob,

I got a 3"x3" for the gavel head, a 1.5"x1.5" for the handle and a 5"x5"x2" for the strike plate. I've turned some wood before that I thought was dry and still had some moisture in it. I've had little trouble with pieces less than 2" thick (made some wands with no problems) so the handle doesn't worry me but the head and strike plate do. Do you think a soak in alcohol may help it along or should I maybe finish it and then paper bag it for a few months?

Jason