PDA

View Full Version : I want to turn some ironwood

Nicholas Briggs
02-22-2007, 2:12 PM
As I understand it, this is the hardest wood you can find. Anyone have any experience turning it? anything I should know? Oh, and where the heck can I find it?

Dario Octaviano
02-22-2007, 2:20 PM
Ironwood is more of a category than a kind of wood.

Thought most are hard...the ironwood title is more due to weight. All (dried) wood that sink in water are called ironwood...thought some places claim it wrongfully.

Where to get it depends on which ironwood you are looking for.

Some famous ironwoods are; lignum vitae, desert ironwood, hornbeam, etc.

I believe some ebony are also categorized as ironwood.

Note weight doesn't proportionally equate to hardness nor does it equate to ease or difficulty to turn. Some are pure fun to turn actually.

I've used both lignum vitae and desert ironwood on pens and love them both. Note that they can get expensive due to their exotic nature and most grow very slow.

Bob Hallowell
02-22-2007, 2:37 PM
I have turned some desset Iron wood for pens and it is hard and dense but it still turns and polished up nice.

Bob

Jonathon Spafford
02-22-2007, 4:15 PM
Check it out... Craft Supply USA http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/catalog/turning_blanks.html

They carry lots of pen blanks and 12" spindle blanks.... the spindle blanks seem pretty reasonably priced. Most cost a couple bucks which seems reasonable since I have seen a single pen blank cost that much. They carry desert ironwood, lignum vitae, and ebony.

Kevin McPeek
02-22-2007, 5:41 PM
The Ironwood I've turned wasn't that bad to work with. I certainly prefer it over a nice dry manzinita root.

Bill Wyko
02-22-2007, 5:51 PM
here's a pic of a piece of desert ironwood I'm saving for when I have a bigger lathe. I'm going to turn the base and use it for a table. It sure is solid. I think my turning tools would run and hide from this stuff.

John Shuk
02-22-2007, 8:50 PM
I've turned Ipe which is deemed an Ironwood. I like how it turns. It tears up saw blades and drill bits when building a deck but turns like butter. Go figure.

Brett Baldwin
02-22-2007, 9:27 PM
I love the grain patterns in the desert ironwood I've turned. Very wild, almost like burl. You can generally polish up the wood itself to a great shine.

Kenneth Hertzog
02-23-2007, 6:46 PM
Nicholas did you get your answer to the ironwood question? I have some of the hornbeam wood if that is what you are looking for.
ken

Bill Wyko
02-23-2007, 7:10 PM
As I understand it, this is the hardest wood you can find. Anyone have any experience turning it? anything I should know? Oh, and where the heck can I find it? Woodworkers Source in Tucson has desert Ironwood in stock right now. They sell it by the pound. At least as of yesterday. PM me if you need info.

Nicholas Briggs
02-23-2007, 7:21 PM
Wow, this is the best forum I have ever been a part of. Thanks for all the info. I think I'll try some of the pen blanks from http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/catalog/turning_blanks.html

Thaks for the link Johnathon. Bill, I went to the Woodworkers Source page but couldn't find anything on desert ironwood. Could you post a link?

Thanks for all the info everyone!

William Fourness
02-23-2007, 7:22 PM
I have a small bit left over from the last shipment that I trade some cherry burl for. It is Desert Ironwood from Arizona, and have another shipment do in this week from there and have Hornbeam here too. Get me size or sizes and I may be able to help.
Bill

Bill Wyko
02-23-2007, 7:34 PM
I don't know a link but it might be that this store only has it. The Phone # is 520-745-8301. Ask for Dick Tell him Bill sent you. He's a real good guy.:)

Nicholas Briggs
02-23-2007, 9:26 PM
William, I'm just looking to try this stuff out. Pen blanks would be great or even a small bowl blank. I have a hard time finding (and affording) materials, so I pretty much turn anything I can get my hands on. Most of my early work was made from 1" oak left over from other wood shop students projects :D

Bill, thanks for the heads up. Calling now.

Corey Hallagan
02-23-2007, 10:03 PM
I have turned Desert Ironwood pens before. Beautiful stuff and polishes up real nice. It was also kind of picky and wanted to lift off of the tubes.

Corey

John Shuk
02-24-2007, 8:37 AM
Nicholas,
I could send you some Ipe I have laying around. You could use it for pen blanks. I'd leave it to you to cut up but it's free. PM me if you or anyone else would like some.
John