PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking store snobbery - Rant!

Joe Tonich
02-27-2003, 4:12 PM
Just came back from one of the Woodworking stores near me that shall remain nameless. Was looking for a drill bit (33/64ths - anyone know where I can find this size?), didn't see one so walked over to the checkout counter where the owner and 2 salesmen were BS'ing to ask if they had one or where I could get one that size. One had his back to me and the others saw me but kept on talking. I've done a lot of business in this store. Spent over $2000 just last year on a new DELTA contractors saw, bandsaw, LEIGH jig, etc... One of the salesmen there (a couple months ago) actually told me to buy a cheap chisel because I didn't have the $ for a good SET of them! I was in the "get the good ones one at a time as you can" mode. As we speak there is an envelope being sent to the owner "snail-mail" containing a letter explaining that they need a lesson in customer service and manners urgently and they know where my they can stick my 10% off Birthday discount! Also told them I will NEVER spend another dime in that store again and will offer my opinion to anyone who asks. I have talked to others and they have gotten the same treatment also. I'm getting tired of being a good guy and giving "one more chance" to these places. Sorry about the rant but I'm PISSED!:mad:

Joe

Mark Lansink
02-27-2003, 4:29 PM
Originally posted by Joe Tonich
Was looking for a drill bit (33/64ths - anyone know where I can find this sizeJoe

McMaster Carr or any industrial/jobber supply house. Ask a local machine shop where to go in your area. If all else fails: www.McMaster.com has a good website and will sell retail. Their shipping is fair.

Sorry to hear about the store. The true WW'ing stores have always felt a little uppidy to me....:mad:

Dick Parr
02-27-2003, 4:45 PM
I agree with you Joe,

I had the same problem with my local ww store here (same one) the first time I went there after they opened. I wanted to get some new bags for my Grizzly 1029 DC and asked if they had anything that would fit. A salesman told me that if I bought good equipment that wasn't green, I wouldn't need to get upgrades. Needless to say, I let him and the owner have it. Who the "x^*#" were they to say what equipment I used. There were 8 other people in that area of the store that overheard what the guy said to me. They made their comments to the owner as we all walked out of the store at the same time.

That store hasn't gotten a penny of my money and never will.

Lee Schierer
02-27-2003, 4:51 PM
If that is the chain Store just outside of Cleveland, I was in the same store and got the same attitude when I got tothe check out counter. They finished their converation amoundg the staff present before even acknowledging that I was there at the counter with merchandise in hand.

For your drill bit, look in the phone book for machine shop tooling suppliers. They will have the drills you want for a fraction of the cost you are used to.

Jim Amundson
02-27-2003, 5:01 PM
Joe - I worked for a similar store for a few months - owner of a franchise . Your story sounds familiar. I was trying it out as a part time job for my retirement. Within a year, all of the full timers and most of the part timers quit - including me. Odd. too because their catalog is still one of my favorites- always courteous, good service. Go figure.

Dennis McDonaugh
02-27-2003, 5:08 PM
You guys need to tell the manager what you're saying here. It won't get better unless you complain.

Phil Phelps
02-27-2003, 5:22 PM
Last summer, at the local Wood...., I purchased some mini chisels and asked if they were opened that Sunday. Just before I finished the sentence I realized that" this" Sunday was Easter. And, I felt silly for a nano second when the guy said, " Yeah, and I don't know why the ^$%(&! we are. If I owned this @#!#^% store, we'd be open". Have a good day?:mad:

Jim Amundson
02-27-2003, 5:26 PM
Dennis - That is indeed the problem and the right solution most of the time. Trouble is In our store the manager is the owner and holds the franchise. I expressed my feelings when I quit.

Jim A

Dennis McDonaugh
02-27-2003, 5:34 PM
That's too bad Jim. I guess we're lucky here because they have a pretty good crew, sometimes they are too helpful.

Paul Di Biasio
02-27-2003, 5:40 PM
Call Bill Carroll, Director of Franchise Operations at (304) 422-5412. (bill_carroll@woodcraft.com) and let him you know how you feel.

Paul Di Biasio
02-27-2003, 5:42 PM
We only have one nearby and its a great atmosphere. All the people are easy to talk to and a lot of help, if you ask.

They bent over backwards to help our local woodturning club, letting us use the club shop for meetings once a month.

Chris McKimson
02-27-2003, 5:48 PM
one of the Woodworking stores near me that shall remain nameless
Joe,

I think I'm close to figuring out which one. :D

Chris

Howard Barlow
02-27-2003, 5:52 PM
It is typical behavior of employees in almost any store. You are an interruption of their day.

Everybody wants a job, nobody wants to work.

Tim
02-27-2003, 6:35 PM
That's a shame and must be particular to those store franchises. They must be owned by people who have that attitude. The corporate group might give them an attitude adjustment (then again they might be too busy counting their money). For the most part (except when very busy) the W........ and R...... stores in the Boston area have an exceptional customer focus. They've spent lots of time helping me out. I'd much rather go into their stores than order online. With most other retail outlets, I prefer to order online because their service is usually terrible.

Dr. Zack Jennings
02-27-2003, 6:36 PM
My local "Tool Store" caters mostly to auto and deisel mechanics. I had a bad experience returning a Delta RAS. (Took 6 months). I think doing business with Amazon might be better. ( Anybody here ever met Mr. Amazon?) I've seen a lot of good comments on their retun policy and customer service.... It's a crying shame.

John Longwitz
02-27-2003, 6:39 PM
...got my birthday 10% off card 2 years ago and went up there to pick up a few things. Main interest was a 13mm brad point bit they had that I wanted to make oversize 1/2" holes to store router bits. I picked up that, and a few other items, and got the old "ignore him and he'll go away" at the counter. After a bit of this I put everything back and walked out. Hope they're not complaining that I get most of my tools and other stuff over the internet now. They didn't really want my business in the first place. My router bits are still in the original holders but I'll get a 'round-tuit some day. Did sneak back there last month and got the 13mm drill (was still there) and a 2" Badger hair paint brush.

Brad Hammond
02-27-2003, 6:47 PM
i think it's www.bereahardwoods.com. that's where i got mine. i think the "El Grande" pen kit uses the 33/64 bit for the upper barrel.
I have no affiliation with Berea, but THERE'S a great bunch of folks.
cya
brad

Ken Wright
02-27-2003, 7:02 PM
That you were capable of keeping your cool as well as you did.

There's very few things in life that tic me off more than being treated poorly as a customer. I took a lot of crap during the 25 years that it took me to earn my retirement money ... I'm certainly not going to take a lot of crap when I decide to spend it. Is that unreasonable?? The man with the money makes the rules .. or at least that's the way I was taught!

Lee Lamb
02-27-2003, 7:05 PM
Joe:

I had the same experience (you are talking about a store on Brookpark Road aren't you?) I calmly set down the few items I was going to buy and left the store. They had a booth at the Akron-Cleveland Woodworking show two years ago - NO one was viewing anything or stopping by. The pompous attendant was sneering at the crowd - what a jerk. I did not see them there two weeks ago. Try the Bedford Woodcraft on the corner of Northfield and Rockside roads. It has a great staff.

Lee

Blaine Pickard
02-27-2003, 7:18 PM
I am not at all shy about sales help in a store, woodworking or otherwise. If they cannot treat me correctly I always ask for the manager. Upon speaking to the manager I lay out my compalaint & ask him how he intends to rectify the situation, I also ask that the owner of the store contact me. If the owner does not contact me then I know that the problem is the manager & I contant the owner. I explain my complaint letting him know that I do not believe he wants his customers treated in this manner. You would be surprised how things change in the store. Stores need customers, and customers don't need that perticular store.
Blaine:

Joe Tonich
02-27-2003, 7:28 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lee Lamb
[B]Joe:

I had the same experience (you are talking about a store on Brookpark Road aren't you?)

No, thats the best one around here IMHO. I can sit and talk to the Manager or any of the sales people, even when I don't buy anything. If I have a question on how to do something and need a quick answer I go there or call and they are always helpful. They treat me and my sons with respect and will just shoot the breeze with us after dropping SWMBO off shopping. To me, they run a business the way it should be.:)

Joe

Mike Vermeil
02-27-2003, 9:10 PM
You get the same nonsence in bike shops and men's clothing stores - many computer related businesses also. I don't understand why so many of the people that work in those places feel the need to display their "obviously superior" knowledge of the subject at hand. Inferiority complex I guess.

Scott Neblung
02-27-2003, 9:40 PM
.....is find the email address of that store or the owner and e-mail them this thread.

I think things would change there pretty quickly IMHO.

Scott

Charles McKinley
02-27-2003, 10:36 PM
The Woodcraft in Robinson (pittsburgh) and the Woodworker's Warehouse in Butler, PA have always treated me very well and I have not saved up the money to make a major purchase at either of them. The sales people are great.

No affiliation, just a very happy customer.

Joe Pack
02-27-2003, 11:35 PM
Gotta ask, Joe, ...Strongsville or Brookpark? I've had good and bad at both.

Stan Thigpen
02-28-2003, 12:20 AM
The only Woodcraft store which I have ever had any dealings is the one in Pelham, Al, outside of B'ham. I feel at home when I go in there. The employees, owner and I are on a first name basis. this is not unique to me, as I often meet regular customers at the store and are met with comraderie (as well as donuts & coffee).:D

Philip Duffy
02-28-2003, 5:42 AM
The only place with good prices on these size bits that I could find was at Berea Hardwoods. You must be making their new El Grand pens, like me. They really do deserve great wood. The bits tend to be pretty "grabby" at the bottom of the drilling so be careful to back up the blanks. Philip

Everette Harmon
02-28-2003, 6:04 AM
It's really funny that this should come up. I've been holding back saying anything about the local franchise store here in Atlanta. I went in to the store a month ago and bought a bench top and was going to pick it up the next day. As I was thinking about it that night I changed my mind because I thought it was to narrow. I got a refund, no problem.
Except that after a week the refund had not hit my CC and I went back and asked if there was a problem. I was told the only problem was with my bank holding the refund. A week later I called and received the same rebuff. Finally a week later I called again (just this week) and was told by the one of the owners that there was nothing they could do about it. I called the corporate office and they told me that there was nothing they could do because it was a franchise store, but gave me the number to the district manager in Orlando. I called him and he put me with the corporate account people. I received a call from the store a little later and behold they do not use the same clearing house for the CC as other Franchise stores or corporate. They wanted the number to my bank, account number etc. I supplied it all. Two days later they called back and said the problem was with one of their CC machines and that they had refunded it again.
No I'm sorry, No offer of restitution for long distant calls or interest accrued from them having the money over 30 days. And no more business from me.

Everette

Everette Harmon
02-28-2003, 6:06 AM
It's really funny that this should come up. I've been holding back saying anything about the local franchise store here in Atlanta. I went in to the store a month ago and bought a bench top and was going to pick it up the next day. As I was thinking about it that night I changed my mind because I thought it was to narrow. I got a refund, no problem.
Except that after a week the refund had not hit my CC and I went back and asked if there was a problem. I was told the only problem was with my bank holding the refund. A week later I called and received the same rebuff. Finally a week later I called again (just this week) and was told by the one of the owners that there was nothing they could do about it. I called the corporate office and they told me that there was nothing they could do because it was a franchise store, but gave me the number to the district manager in Orlando. I called him and he put me with the corporate account people. I received a call from the store a little later and behold they do not use the same clearing house for the CC as other Franchise stores or corporate. They wanted the number to my bank, account number etc. I supplied it all. Two days later they called back and said the problem was with one of their CC machines and that they had refunded it again.
No I'm sorry, No offer of restitution for long distant calls or interest accrued from them having the money over 30 days. And no more of my business.

Everette

Ron Meadows
02-28-2003, 8:22 AM
Our local one has a great staff, but their prices are markedly higher than the Klingspor WW place across town so I never buy anything there. Even their catalog prices are higher....why all the buzz about Woodcraft anyway???

Dan Bussiere
02-28-2003, 10:28 AM
I think the problem is bigger than just the W/W stores. Go get a burger or an oil change or even go to the department store and you pretty much get the same deal. Some one said it earlier, "everyone wants a job, no one wants to work". Sad state of affairs!
Dan

Chuck Wintle
02-28-2003, 11:55 AM
My rant is with an electronics store in my area. It is a fairly large store that carries medium to higher priced equipment.
Anyway I was in the market for a new home A/V receiver and I went to this store for a look around. I had my kids with me and when I say we were ignored by the salesman it is an understatement. They pretended we did not exist.
I was really mad.
I wrote a letter to the head office and I did get a call back saying the next time I came to the store they would see I got a good deal on whatever I might buy. I did go back several years later to that same store and the salesman practically fell all over me to serve me. I even got a Christmas card from him thanking me for my purchase.I was amazed at the attitude change.

Dave Richards
02-28-2003, 12:26 PM
I have had the same experience with the snobbery at the Bloomington, MN one. I was also on their e-mail list but they had my name wrong. I sent several messages asking them to correct it but they never did. Finally, I sent a message asking them to remove my name since they couldn't get it right. I got a quick reply to that one. They removed my name. Didn't try to rectify the problem or even apologize.

I guess they feel they have too many customers or something. As far as I'm concerned they could beat all the competition by 50% on their prices (won't happen) and I still wouldn't buy from them.

I ranted about some of my experiences with them on another forum. The owner of the store e-mailed me and tried to use the excuse that my experience happened under the previous owner and that he had new staff and they were much better trained. I stopped at their booth at the local woodworking show a month later and the owner was in the booth. I recognized him as the one who had been snobbish to me the last time I'd been in his store. He was rude to me at the woodworking show, too.

Joe_Ott
02-28-2003, 1:00 PM
I agree. The one in Strongsville is pretty bad. I've given them more money than I'll admit (or tell my wife anyway!). Haven't gone to the one in Bedford.

I admit though, that I sometimes go there (the Strongsville store)before Rockler only because it's a little easier to get to even though it's further away for me. That traffic on Brookpark is an absolute joke day or night. I like to go to the Lowes over there too, but don't because of the traffic. Too bad Rockler can't move to a little better (and much bigger) location.

Except for one guy at Rockler, they've all been good to me. Jeff and Bud in particular, the other guy there I like I can't remember his name; older white haired gentlemen.

I don't know why the guys in Strongsville are the way they are. Even as you're handing them five or sixhundred bucks you'll get an attitude. I don't get it. Hey, we all have bad days from time-to-time, but in the Strongsville store, there always seems to be 'something bad in the air' so to speak.

I will say this, these guys that have these small stores, should work really really hard at customer service. Especially in todays economy. It's a lot easier for me to spend a couple hundred bucks on-line than it is to drive to a store, fight traffic, loose time I can't spare, pay more, and get snobbish treatment to boot. I want to help the local guy like anybody else, but I can't just throw money away either unless I get something in return. They have to give you a reason to come back, and Strongsville doesn't do a very good job of it.

Well, I better stop before I get going here....

Joe - email Bill Carrol this thread :) . Maybe he'll send you a coupon for a free drill bit. Ah, never mind. You'd have to go there and get it.... :)

Good luck,
Joe

Dominic Greco
02-28-2003, 1:19 PM
Joe,
I had a very similar experience at the Woodcraft in Bensalem PA. I won't go into the details, partly because it is now water under the bridge. But I'm the kind of person who likes to remember names, dates and times. I included all of these into a letter which I sent off to the head of operations.

Before the day was out, I received a call from that gent. He was very upset about the way I was treated. he stated that my inclusion of names, and dates, helped him to pinpoint the source of the problem. And this also set my complaint apart form the run of the mill, "your store stinks" letter.

I ended up getting a call from the store manager, along with a full apology. Later, in the mail was a $25.00 gift certificate.

After that experience, it was like someone had thrown a switch there. They must have gotten rid of all the "dead wood" and hired REAL employees. It was a real joy to shop there. I even ended up buying several more high end tools from them, and even became friends with some of the employees.

So you see how my negative experience turned out to be a positive in the end? It could be that way for you too. You might actually be helping out the store by pointing out these ANTI-salesmen.

Just my 2 cents.

See ya,
Dominic

Ken Garlock
02-28-2003, 2:20 PM
they are in only one business, and that is CUSTOMER SERVICE. Every person is either a customer or they are providing a service to a customer. When someone walks into your office or place of work and asks a question, he is your customer, and you are providing a service to him, even if he is in the next cubical or workbench. Many clerks/managers/owners just don't understand that simple concept.

I have noticed recently that when I walk in and about the local Home Depot, every clerk I see says hello, smiles, and asks how I am. A small thing, but it makes me feel more welcome....

Phil Phelps
02-28-2003, 5:14 PM
If they cannot treat me correctly I always ask for the manager. Upon speaking to the manager I lay out my compalaint & ask him how he intends to rectify the situation, I also ask that the owner of the store contact me. If the owner does not contact me then I know that the problem is the manager & I contant the owner.

You post for the first time and hit a grad slam. That's how to do it, Blaine. I'm on these nuckleheads like white on rise. I'm as courteous and respectful as they come. Act like an arrogant $%^& and I'll ride your heinie like a pair of tight Levis. I can't believe an owner would put up with such behavior from an employee. :mad: