PDA

View Full Version : Rikon

John Brennaman
02-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Just wanted to share a good experience I had with Rikon customer support. I have a 1 1/2 year old 18" Rikon bandsaw. The motor started having startup issues so I contacted their support center. I was told that they would ship me a new motor and 4 days later it was on my front stoop. I talked to Rod in the Rikon repair facility and he gave me instructions on the replacement of the motor. Following his instructions I was able to replace the motor in about 30 minutes. It was also 1/2 HP greater than the original motor. I will definitely look at Rikon when I decide to make my next major tool purchase.

David Cramer
02-22-2007, 11:28 AM
That's good news John and thanks for sharing a positive customer service moment. I am also looking at Rikon for a future purchase and posts like yours really help make the decision easier. Now a question, who makes Rikon products? Good luck with the new motor and power on!

Dave

David Wilson
02-22-2007, 11:30 AM
John
I've had similar experiances with Rikon Excelent customer service.

John Brennaman
02-22-2007, 12:13 PM
I asked Rod at Rikon customer service about who manufactures Rikon products. Below is his answer.

WE DO!
We have our own factory in Qingdao, China which is a one hour flight south from Beijing.
RIKON Power tools is one of a few who do not outsource to multiple factories to manufacture for them. In fact, many of the big names actually come to us to manufacture for them!

Bill Leung
02-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Good info as I am also looking into the Rikon BS. John, have you been happy with the saw?

John Brennaman
02-22-2007, 2:27 PM
After I purchased a couple of Timberwolf blades I have been very happy with it. I have been resawing some hard maple and it cuts right through it. I haven't had to make any adjustments since the initial setup 1 1/2 years ago. I don't move it around though. It sits in one place in the shop.

Pete Brown
02-22-2007, 2:30 PM
I'm glad you had a good customer service experience.

One question I do have is about the motors. I've seen a bunch of "great customer service" posts about Rikon, almost all of which have been due to motor failures. Great CS is, well, great, but what's up with the motors?

Pete

John Brennaman
02-22-2007, 2:41 PM
When talking to their customer service they told me that they received a bad batch of motors. He even had the sequence of serial numbers that possibly received the bad motors.

Terry Bigelow
02-22-2007, 4:39 PM
My Dad purchased the Rikon mini lathe last Feb at the WWShow and didn't get it out until about a month ago(been too busy with work so I ended up with it for now!) and it had a bit of runout. Didn't have the box or reciept. We called Rikon and they arranged for a swap out at a local dealer(HighlandHardware) with a brand new one, no questions asked!!! That's great customer service! New one runs like a champ too:) !

Michael McCoy
02-22-2007, 6:37 PM
Pete - I can't say anything about the Rikon customer service since I haven't used it. I have the 14" and been using it just about daily for the last month or so and never a burp with this one.

Mark Pruitt
02-22-2007, 6:45 PM
I agree that Rikon's customer support people are friendly, courteous, and helpful, but I have to say that the experience I had with a Rikon Mini Lathe last year was so unpleasant that I said "no more Rikon." Maybe I'm being unfair, but that Mini Lathe screwed me three times in less than a month. I don't like lemons.:(

Eric Wong
02-22-2007, 6:46 PM
I'm glad you had a good customer service experience.

One question I do have is about the motors. I've seen a bunch of "great customer service" posts about Rikon, almost all of which have been due to motor failures. Great CS is, well, great, but what's up with the motors?

Pete

I totally agree. Thank goodness they've got great customer service because they've obviously got a big problem with their motor supplier!