PDA

View Full Version : Mimosa Natural Edge

Glenn Hodges
02-22-2007, 11:22 AM
I have not posted any pictures in a while, but I have been busy turning. This one is a little 7 in. wide X 3 in. tall, and the sides are 3/16 in. thick mimosa natural edge which was sanded then buffed, and waxed for a finish. BTW it was green and was turned yesterday afternoon. Your comments and critiques are welcomed.

Dario Octaviano
02-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Great looking piece...love the natural edge and finish.

I am not too crazy about the shape though but that is only personal preference.

Mark Cothren
02-22-2007, 11:45 AM
That's another great one, Glenn! Easily recognizable as one of your NEs. That's very nice wood - I didn't expect Mimosa to be that dark and rich in color.

You turned it green... how does the wax finish (or any other type of finish) hold up on green wood? This one looks shiny as new money right now...:)

When I was a kid I used to mow the church yard that was next door to our house. There were big Mimosas all around it and I HATED those suckas... I know they are tougher than woodpecker lips when you are trying to get rid of them.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Beautifully done Glenn!

Bernie Weishapl
02-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Beautiful bowl Glenn. I like it. Love the form and finish. Nice job.

Jonathon Spafford
02-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Nice piece... that wood is simply gorgeous!

Bill Wyko
02-22-2007, 1:09 PM
Very beautiful. Nice selection on the wood too. I'd sure like to see a before and after of the piece of wood. :o I'm still trying to figure out how you do that kind of turning. Very nice flow on this piece.

Barry Stratton
02-22-2007, 1:15 PM
Beautiful piece Glenn. I always enjoy seeing your work!

Mark Pruitt
02-22-2007, 1:35 PM
Excellent job Glenn. That's some beautiful wood. I would have expected mimosa to be somewhat bland; now I'm wishing I could get my hands on some!

John Hart
02-22-2007, 2:31 PM
I like it too Glenn. The color is very striking. Good lookin' bowl. Sooo...you turned it green yesterday....has it moved since then?

Keith Burns
02-22-2007, 2:50 PM
Glenn, another great NE !! I never would have expected that from a Mimosa tree either. Like Mark said it is recognizable as one of your pieces. I think that speaks highly of your work:) :)

Steve Schlumpf
02-22-2007, 4:02 PM
Very impressive work Glenn! I really like the contrast between the sapwood and heartwood. Nice rich color, flowing form and a very nice looking finish. Thanks for posting!

Glenn Hodges
02-22-2007, 5:26 PM
It has not moved at all John. It might, in fact I hope it does. I find the ones I turn green do elongate some and the bottoms must be touched up in about 6 weeks, but this makes people ask me how in the world I turned this oblong bowl on a lathe. I just shrug and say it takes time, and a little magic. Thanks for all of your kind comments. I am doing a NE demo at a turning club in Tifton tonight. I hope it all goes well.

mike fuson
02-22-2007, 5:43 PM
very nice Glenn,keep it up

Neal Addy
02-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Beautiful, Glenn! Nice color contrasts going on there and beautifully turned.

Gil Jones
02-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Fine looking NE bowl, Glenn !!
Beautiful wood too, where do you find it?

Dick Parr
02-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Very nicely done Glenn.

Joash Boyton
02-23-2007, 12:48 AM
That timber is amazing, but the shape is a detraction....the grain is fancy, so don't do a fancy shape, let the wood do the talking...

Love it otherwise!!
JMHO,
Joash:)

Glenn Hodges
02-23-2007, 10:12 AM
I found this log of mimosa beside the road. I have a GPS wood finder in my truck and it automatically came to a stop when I passed it. The wood has a rather offensive odor when turning it green, but worth putting up with to get a bowl like this. Sorry guys, when I turn a natural edge I leave the lip naturally as it grew, and then I take away the rest down to the foot. I have control over the design below the lip, and this is one of the ways I like to make them. I am also interested in finding out how the wax finish will be on this one. If I have any problems I will let you know. I again appreciate your comments.

Jim Underwood
02-23-2007, 10:28 AM
Nice looking bowl!

Gil, Mimosa is an imported tree that usually takes over places where it is planted. It's notable for choking waterways in extreme cases. A very intrusive tree, and very hard to kill.

In my opinion it's a trash tree and needs to be controlled if not eradicated...

So you can cut down as many as you see for all I care. I wonder if woodturners could solve the problem this tree presents?

http://www.bsu.edu/blogcaster/~lauren/wp-content/mimosa20tree.jpg

Mark Cothren
02-23-2007, 10:56 AM
Sorry guys, when I turn a natural edge I leave the lip naturally as it grew, and then I take away the rest down to the foot. I have control over the design below the lip, and this is one of the ways I like to make them.

Glenn, don't give it another thought... I think it was Calvin Coolidge who said something along the lines of, "Its a shame youth is wasted on the young"...:D ...(you have to be a fan of The Andy Griffith Show to understand the Coolidge reference).

If we all turned the same shapes/forms it would certainly be a boring situation. I like your NE bowls and this form was easily recognizable as one you turned.

I don't recall turning a NE bowl to finished with green wood... might just give that a barrel soon - thanks!

Lou Morrissette
02-23-2007, 11:35 AM
Beautiful job, Glenn. I've got to give that NE a try when I build up the courage. Thanks for sharing.

Lou

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Another nice one, Glen.

Bruce

Andy Hoyt
02-23-2007, 11:49 PM
Nice one Glenn.

Glenn, don't give it another thought... I think it was Calvin Coolidge who said something along the lines of, "Its a shame youth is wasted on the young"...:D ...(you have to be a fan of The Andy Griffith Show to understand the Coolidge reference)......
Hey, Ernest T, guess what ol' Cal liked (http://www.metrocast.net/%7Emoxieman/coolidge.html)?