PDA

View Full Version : An Introduction

Paul Fitzgerald
02-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Hey everyone! Since I'm new here, I thought I'd introduce myself.

My name is Paul, and I live just outside Memphis, TN with my girlfriend Heather and our dogs Abby the Golden Retriever and Cody the Shetland Sheepdog.

My interest in woodworking started when I was a kid. My dad owned his own cabinet shop, which I hung around a lot. I was also addicted to The New Yankee Workshop and would get up early on Saturday mornings to watch it. Come to think of it... I still do that.

Life happened and I haven't been involved with woodworking in a long time, but my interest never faded. I bought my first house about two years ago and have been slowly getting back into fixing and building stuff. So far, it's been limited to door frames, trim, and other stuff like that.

Lately, I have become more and more interested in building furniture. I'd love to eventually build a bedroom set for our master bedroom, including a queen size bed, two bedside tables, a chest, a dresser with mirror, and an entertainment armoir with Shaker and Arts & Crafts details.

I figured I should start small and work my way up to that. So my first project was a pair of home theater speaker stands made from 3/4" MDF. I designed them from scratch using Google SketchUp and built them with help from my dad. I made a few mistakes, but they still turned out pretty good. They cost half as much to build than it would have cost to purchase stands and they're much more sturdy and stable than anything I could have bought at that price. So I'm pretty happy overall.

I'm glad I stumbled upon Sawmill Creek and hope to learn and share a lot with you all. Please be kind to this newbie! ;)

Paul

Chris Dodge
02-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Welcome! You will find a wealth of information here. It is also a great place to get your questions answered. Be sure to search the forums first to see if your question has already been asked but if you haven't found your answer then ask away and someone will be able to answer. Also, please post pictures of projects you build. The guys love to see what others are making!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Paul.....Welcome to the Creek! Must be genetic....I watch NYW too!

David Cramer
02-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Welcome to the Creek Paul! Once that woodworking bug bites, it never really goes away, does it? As Chris said, a wealth of information is available. Share what you know and take what you need. Good luck with that bedroom set.

Dave

p.s. Ya gotta love Norm!

Aaron Beaver
02-22-2007, 2:12 PM
Welcome to the Creek, hop in and stay a while.

Jim Becker
02-22-2007, 2:38 PM
Welcome aboard, Paul!

Jack Ganssle
02-22-2007, 5:18 PM
Enjoy, Paul! I've only been hanging out here a short time but learn something every day from the Creekers.

Jack

Eric Wong
02-22-2007, 6:54 PM
Welcome Paul! I too have a large collection of NYW episodes that I taped. Repeat after me, the woodworker's safety creed (I'm sure everyone has it memorized):
"But before we work with any power tools, let's take a moment to talk about shop safety..."

lou sansone
02-22-2007, 8:12 PM
welcome to the creek ... time to make some sawdust
lou

Paul Douglass
02-22-2007, 8:37 PM
Another Paul! Another Fitzgerald! Welcome you came to the right place. Glad to have you