PDA

View Full Version : Bedroom set minus the dresser

Chris Daigh
02-22-2007, 9:29 AM
Working on the dresser now. This project hasn't gone too bad for me. I searched many hours for ideas and finally found a wall cabinet I had to build and then designed everything around that. I wanted a platform bed and to build in an Asian style. There wasn't much in this style that I liked when searching. I also had some challenges veneering. I built two endtables and two lamps. I didn't glue the brass pins on the lamps, it fits tight and with the cat and kids I can see the paper getting destroyed so just a precaution. The paper on the doors to the cabinet created a challenge, I had to cut and finish everything then glue up and hope it all was square. I didn't want to cut after the paper was on. Hope the paper lasts for a long time without getting ruined. This is the first project that I did most of the design by sitting down and doing sketches and then more sketches and then doing a full size drawing. I still need to learn to do all the joinery in those drawings, most of it I do on the fly.
I am now working on the dresser and trying to figure out the carcass and joinery. Any comments welcome. Pictures aren't the best and still need to redecorate the room. Nothing like a project to keep the money flowing out.

Chris Daigh
02-22-2007, 9:34 AM
More pics, I had a hard time getting good pictures and the flash showing.

Chris Daigh
02-22-2007, 9:39 AM
Forgot picture of the wall cabinet.

Jim Becker
02-22-2007, 9:52 AM
Chris, there's a lot of really interesting style there! Nice work...very nice work!

Zahid Naqvi
02-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Chris, I am speechless, wonderfully crafted.

Jerry Ingraham
02-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Very cool! Kind of an asian feel. Keep up the good work.

John Miliunas
02-22-2007, 10:47 AM
I cannot...I repeat, can NOT let my daughter see this thread! :o She'd go totally nuts over the Asian style, as that is her weak spot. Not that I'd mind doing pieces like that for her but, I could never make them look that nice! Well done on ALL of them, Chris! :) Thanks for sharing. :) :cool:

Chris Dodge
02-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Very fine craftsmanship! You have a lot of talent!

Chris Daigh
02-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Well you guys are probably too nice but thanks for your comments. I did get more tear out then I expected and of course not all is as perfect as I hoped. I need to take more time with the small details but I was in a hurry because of all the pieces. I hate looking back and thinking what I would do differently on a piece I will see for many years to come.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-22-2007, 2:16 PM
Nice job! Very artistic design. I really, really like it.
-Jeff :)

Eric Wong
02-22-2007, 6:56 PM
Awesome! I like the oriental influences (note my last name).