PDA

View Full Version : Chatter Tool

Bob Noles
02-21-2007, 9:33 PM
Been watching Bonnie Klein DVD's and got myself interested in a chatter tool. Are they difficult to use? Is it a good tool investment? Where is the best place to purchase one?

Jim Ketron
02-21-2007, 9:39 PM
Chatter tools are good for endgrain turnings.
Most people make one from an old jigsaw blade.

Dick Strauss
02-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Bob,
Try these links to movies of how to use the chatter tool at the Sorby website. Then maybe you'll be able to decide whether you want one or not. I guess it depends on how much endgrain work you do or plan to do.

http://robertsorby.co.uk/SorbyMedia/RS215KTChattertool.wmv

http://robertsorby.co.uk/SorbyMedia/RS215KTChattertool2.wmv

I hope the video links help...

Dick

Bernie Weishapl
02-21-2007, 11:15 PM
Hey Noles I thought that's what your teeth were doing last week when it got down into the 30's. Chattering!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::p

Ken Fitzgerald
02-22-2007, 12:08 AM
Maybe Frank Kobilsek will jump in and reply to this. I watched him use a Sorby chatter/spiral cutter on a platter he made. He knows how to use them!

Bob Noles
02-22-2007, 8:33 AM
Thanks guys, I am looking at this tool real hard as my next addition to the rack. Not sure if I am good enough to attempt making one, but may give it a try before laying out the $50 on a lightly used tool.

More research and study before a final decision for sure.

Al Wasser
02-22-2007, 11:03 AM
The March issue of Wood Mag. has an article on making a chatter tool

Frank Kobilsek
02-22-2007, 11:08 AM
Bob,
Ken gives me way too much credit. The Sorbey texture tool I do have the hang of but the chatter tool has given me fits.

Chatter works on hard end grain only. When I am successful using it I paractice before I get to the final shape. Then after recording the speed noting the angle of presentation and feel of the motion I get better results.

Is it a good tool to buy? I haven't met a tool that wasn't. See Al's story in WOOD make your own then you can buy a fancy one if you like it.

Frank

Bob Noles
02-22-2007, 4:32 PM
Thanks again guys.... I just so happen to subscribe to Wood magazine and I'll check out the article.

John Shuk
02-22-2007, 8:52 PM
I'seen old bandsaw blades used too. I even know a guy who bought a cheap grapefruit knife and used that. He said it worked well.